If a breed ban was passed could my dog be at risk.

Says goodbye to chazhound....done with forums
First of all we know she is not a pit bull. As far as I am concerned she is what the shelter said she is

But the other day we were told we need to be careful because we have a mutt and all mutts are just as much at risk because people don't know whats in them and if they can get away with killing purebred pit bulls it would be even easier for them to get a hold of mutts.

I don't know maybe this person was paranoid but it bothered me what he said

But I'm afraid it could easily be argued that she isn't what the shelter said she was.

If something were to happen would the shelter papers be enough?

Okay I have a little 23 pound mix breed dog. She listed at the shelter as a Jack Russell Terrier/ Wire Hair Terrier mix but her paperwork from the shelter says Jack Russell Terrier/ Chihuahua mix

Anyways based on looks would she be at risk?

I ask based on looks because she does have a blocky head (but Jack Russells have blocky heads)

The big reason is I hear some places the Jack Russell is in Trouble so that is my fear (I know she is not a pit but I'm concerned if the Jack Russells keep getting negative attention what could happen)

I am proud to say our County is BSL free but if a statewide ban goes into effect it over rules the county.

The law makers have tried to pass a statewide ban twice. It would ban Pit Bulls
Pit Bull Mixes

Or any dog that has features resembling a Pit Bull (example: Blocky head and muscular)

Would have to be surrendered and euthanized

Here is what some of the counties near us already have:

Restrictions, 8ft fence, muzzles and 100k insurance

Dobes, Rotties, Pit bulls decalred vicious.
Banned, no new dogs allowed in city, current dogs face restrictions

Pit Bulls banned and no grandfather clause.

That is just a few of the bans in the area.

I'm sure she wouldn't be at risk but I'm scared if they pass a law that bans breeds more and more breeds will be banned especially mutts and I worry

Here are some pictures:

Says goodbye to chazhound....done with forums
those are all recent photos by the way.

My concern is though I have been hearing a lot of negative stuff as well about Jack Russells. Are they next?

And she is bigger than a Jack russell so I don't want someone implying something and getting her in trouble...because her head is a little blocky and she is physically fit.

We were told the other day we need to be careful because she is a mutt....infact they said all mutt owners should be weary....was that person a little paranoid or should we be worried since we have a mutt?

Pam111

Honestly, I wouldn't think "pit bull" seeing or...or even Jack Russell really

She just looks like a cute little mixed breed

Lilavati

Arbitrary and Capricious
Well, there is always a risk, with ignorant idiots, that a dog will be identified as something it is not, and can't be. And BSl and ignorant idiots go together. That said, "pit bull" is not something that springs to mind when I look at your dog. What springs to my mind is what some of my rural relatives would call a "yeller mutt." In other words, a dog of no identifiable heritage at all.

Fight against the BSL because it is wrong, but I think your dog will not be the first the come after.

One thing to look into is the AKC Canine Good Citizen program. With breed restrictions and insurance companies adopting "at risk" breed list, the CGC seems to be one certification a dog owner can get that is recognized by most organizations.

FoxyWench

Salty Sea Dog
thinking back on all the things people have insisted my dogs are

ie, the chihuahuas have been refered to as pappilions, pomeranians, and i cant even tell you how many people tell us my mums chi rosie is a german sheppard puppy...

ruby is a poodle, puppy porti, and baby labradoodle... (shes a chinese crested!)

and our cocker spaneil, well hes been everythign from a springer to a pitbull mix...(he looks nothing liek a pitbull)

the poitn being, anyone can claim your dog is anything, right or not...
i do suggest CGC cert, it realy helps

Members online

No members online now.