update and questions

ToyPoodle

I rang the breeder i want to buy my puppy from she said she only breeds the apricot and red toy poodles.So now i'll be getting a red toy poodle.She said she sells her apricot and red toy poodles for $900 where this other breeder 4 hours away wants $1,200 for her red toy poodles if $900 a good price.She also said she has more males then females she said if i want a female ring up 2 months before i'm ready and let her know but if her next litter doesn't have any females i will have to go for a male.

My parents are mainly worried that males will lift there leg and pee over everything in the house.Now as most on you know i own a male golden retriever named Einstein he lifts his leg up all the time we got him desexed at the age of 2.But if i have no choice but to get a male toy poodle and get him desexed before the age of 6 months will he still learn to lift his leg by watching Einstein do it.Also if he does learn to do it from einstein will he do it inside.I'm going to be house breaking him but i dare say he will have some accidents inside.Also how can i convince my mum that males aren't as bad as everyone says they are.My sisters boyfriends parents own a male maltese and he lifts his leg on everything my parents now think every male dog does this.Also with hygien (cleaning) we were told females are more hygienic is this true.My mum is worried that a male will make alot of mess in the house.I was also told females are more energetic then males is this true.I was also told that when a females hormones come in they can be aggersive and won't want human attection is this true.I also got told that males have a habbit of humping things toys,legs,arms.I know my golden retriever used to hump people thats why we got him desexed.Could i have the pros and cons about males and females.I was also told males are more affectant and want to be with humans where the females are more of a loner.

Don't know about the Poodle world, but Bimmer, my male dog, is INFINITELY neater, better mannered and easier to deal with than the two grrrrrls! I've only had one other female dog before getting the Filas, partly because I just like the male temperament but mostly because the majority of my dogs have been rescues and one was a gift from my grandmother and that's just the way it worked out. Even all but one cat has been male. I've never had any problems at all out of my males.

Oh, and I'd suggest checking with the other breeder as well. Find out why there is such a big price discrepancy - or if there even is. It may be that the difference in price is that the $1,200 is for show quality pups and she charges about the same thing for pet quality as the one you've been talking to.

showpug

Male or female, your new toy poodle pup should be "desexed" (spayed or neutered) around 6 months of age regardless of gender. This will make your pet of either gender a better/healthier companion. If you don't spay a female pup, she can become just as messy as your parents think males are by coming into season every six months and bleeding. On another note, not all males hike their leg in the house if they are neuterd young!! You are usually safe if you instill good housebreaking habits and have your pup neuterd at 51/2 to 6 months. Neutered males generally speaking make better, calmer, and more well rounded pets. My neutered males have always been the sweetest most loving companions and gentle in nature. I don't know on poodles though. I have had multiple male dogs that were neutered at a yound age and they never hiked their leg in the house, in fact, the majority of them squated to pee like a female (outside) because they were neutered so young and they never developed the habit. I would get either gender and just neuter or spay at 6 months and remember to TRAIN!! :) Good luck!

Amstaffer

I have raise Three Male intact dogs in my Adult life, Two Rotties and One Amstaff. I have never had a problem with them "Lifting" in the house. If you pottie train them correctly it shouldn't be an issue.

--Show pug, I agree about the spayed female being healthier because of female cancers but my Vet said there was no benefit health wise to neutering your male dog. Do you have some sources that say different, that I could check out?

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
my male dogs neutered and "intact" have never marked indoors..they would have been ashamed at the thought..and went in the yard where i wanted them to..not on the garden or any other inappropriate place. That is all in the training. Can i ask..why you would pay so much for a dog that if you are having fixed you are not planning on breeding..or showing..why u would do that? when there are so many rescues..so many good dogs out there from shelters on out that need a good home..why not adopt one of them and donate the rest of the hundreds of dollars to some humane function? the canine world would thank you. There are poodle rescues too i am sure.

bubbatd

I have always found my males easier to train and more devoted. The don't call females B*tches for nothing !

gapeach

Big Mutts
My Smokey was a peek-a -poo and we did have problems with him lifting and some humping. We had him desexed, the humping stopped but he lifted his leg the rest of his life. Possibly b/c we had him neutered to old? He was very affectionate and a one person dog. However our Carey is also a one person dog (not quite as bad as Smokey about it) She loves everyone but follows me into each room.

bogolove

My male lifts his leg outside to mark, but has not inside. He was neutered when he was just a pup and didn't learn to lift his leg until he was well over a year old. He still does the squat pee when he is really going, but when he is outside marking, he lifts his leg.

If you potty train properly, it should not really be a big issue about him peeing indoors.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
even when i brought little dog home..a male..intact..it took me two weeks to firmly teach him that lifting his leg in the house was forbidden. He learned as well..and he was hard core in my opinion. If your dog is urinating indoors..then he is not housebroken....and it is time to intensify your training. It is not a male thing in my opinion based on years of experience..it is lack of training..humping on the other hand is harmonal.

Debi

my vet wouldn't neuter my male until 7 months. He has never marked anything..indoors or out. He is now almost 1 1/2 yrs. old...still squats to potty. My mom always had that old wive's tale about females being 'gentler'. I have both...my male is a much more docile personality. My female (who is spayed) can be very moody. That may depend on breeding....I tend to think she is a typical 'girl'. lol (I will never admit that to my hubby, tho!)

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
Bronki was intact..never made babies, never hiked in an inappropriate place, had no aggression, in fact even when provoked he would shoot me a look like "mom can you do something about this idiot..he is really making me angry" he knew that he was not to respond...but was socialized and trained from the get go..he did get cancer..not testicle, but still i think that should be the main concern..if you are not going to keep your dog away from females..the neutering is a must..but i have known a zillion dogs of different breeds that were all trained well..and had there testicles as well..known a few that died of cancer that started there as well.

showpug

AmStaffer...I am so suprised that your vet told you that! I worked in a vet clinic for 5 years and we saw multiple problems with "intact" males. What topped the list were intact males coming in all the time with testicular cancer and needing a neuter immediatley after diagnosis. The more years that pass the higher the risk. Here is a link that you can read up on. Take care :)
http://www.sniksnak.com/benefits.html start reading under LESS TESTOSTERONE, LESS TROUBLE

ToyPoodle

Thanks everyone for the information reason why i'm not rescuing one cause here in australia there are no poodles in rescue shelters.I would rather a puppy that why i can teach and bring him up the way i want.Its just my decision i have nothing agaisnt rescue dogs i just prefer puppies.

Einstein my golden retriever is house broken but he isn't allowed inside due to his shedding.

Members online