Cheap, bulk raw?

AliciaD

On second thought...
I'm considering buying a freezer and buying raw in bulk. Anyone know of any sites that ship and sell on the cheaper side?

Thanks!

Aleron

If you're having raw food shipped to you, it likely won't be cheap. Try to find more local sources for bulk chicken backs, necks, quarters, prok necks, etc. I get my chicken backs/necks for around .30/lb in 40lb boxes.

kady05

Yeah it's not going to be too cheap if you're having it all shipped to you.

I get most of my stuff from local grocery stores. I've never paid over $2/lb. for anything, and it's usually way under that.. like I get chicken quarters for .49/lb. most of the time.

I didn't start raw til I got my freezer.. if you don't have a freezer, you can't take advantage of buying in bulk! Have you checked to see if you have any co-ops near you? I don't, and it sucks.. I see the deals people get through them and am totally jealous.

You can also post ads on your CL asking for freezer burnt meat, or meat hunters don't want, especially now that hunting season is starting.

AliciaD

On second thought...
That's a good point about the shipping thing, I hadn't thought of that.

I will talk to my local grocery stores, but they also insist on packaging everything on those Styrofoam trays which is super annoying. The butchers I've talked to haven't mentioned cheaper in bulk options, but maybe they didn't think I was interested in bulk. I'll try them again too.

Do you have any Hispanic or Asian stores around you? Maybe even a little distance away? I get all my dog food from Hispanic grocery stores (Brain, Kidney, liver, heart, dirt cheap chicken etc.) If you can find one of those, even if it's a half an hour drive or so it's really really worth it.

I follow their deals and stock up when they have them and believe me, I've gotten some amazing deals on things there. .29 Chicken backs, .49 Chicken saddle legs etct.

kady05

I will talk to my local grocery stores, but they also insist on packaging everything on those Styrofoam trays which is super annoying. The butchers I've talked to haven't mentioned cheaper in bulk options, but maybe they didn't think I was interested in bulk. I'll try them again too.
Oh man, I LOVE the packaging at most grocery stores LOL. I can't stand buying cases.. the last case of chicken quarters I got was 30lbs. and all of it was stuffed into a cardboard box. No plastic on the bottom or anything.. makes for messy thawing. I much prefer getting them from Harris Teeter where they package them in 7lb. "containers".

MafiaPrincess

Obvious trollsare Obvious
Packed in styrofoam is environmentally crappy, easier to divide though. There's a local coop, but I don't meet the amount you'd need to buy to participate. You have to take X amount on the pick up day monthly... I can buy smaller amounts, but it comes frozen together in like 10-40lb amounts that I need to thaw to package.

Gypsydals

Do you have any Hispanic or Asian stores around you? Maybe even a little distance away? I get all my dog food from Hispanic grocery stores (Brain, Kidney, liver, heart, dirt cheap chicken etc.) If you can find one of those, even if it's a half an hour drive or so it's really really worth it.
Ohh boy I never thought of the hispanic grocery stores, I knew about the Asian ones. Which sadly there is none around here. BUT there is a Hispanic grocery/specialty store. I will have to check that out.

Members online