Much to my dismay.... Introducing:

Zhucca

Lab Love
Me, my sister and a friend were driving around pretty aimlessly and decided to go to Petland.. :)rolleyes:) to go look at all the animals, make sad faces at puppies etc. There were some Yorkie puppies in the play pen and my sister went gaga. Despite me trying to convince her not to get the 5 month old puppy who has probably lived in a box for atleast 1 month or so.. She came home with us anyways. Very disapointed.

Anyways, she shakes but otherwise is doing okay. My sisters kitten, Mia, thinks she's a toy. She's around 1.5 pounds I think. She's a tad underweight. Despite Mia being slightly .. rough (pouncing on her once) she loves her and does zoomies around her trying to iniate play.

She's cuter than the picture shows. She's out of standard obviously, as a Yorkie 'type'. The picture I have is from a laptop webcam, and she was falling asleep in my hand so excuse her haggard expression. Name suggestions please?

PlottMom

The Littlest Hound
sad but she's still cute. and i don't know if it's just the photo but she doesn't look like the healthiest thing, so i must say today is her lucky day...

Dont be surprised if she is actually slightly younger then they told you... make sure she is getting 3-4 meals a day, one late at night.

She is probably just very nervous, hence the shaking, but get her out there meeting people and other dogs (obviously after vaccinations) as much as possible and she will hopefully come around.

Otherwise, good luck!

Zhucca

Lab Love
It's mostly the photo. She's going for a vet check this week. Her eyes are pretty teary but her poops are normal, pulse, teeth, ears, I pushed a finger to her gums.. and her vet records show clear. We'll see, though.

Still pretty pissed how someone who knows why not to buy from a Pet store still went ahead and did it anyways.

Edit-

Thanks PoodleMommy. I know about the frequent meals because one of my favourite breeds is Pomeranians and they are at risk to hypoglemcia (sp?) as well. She's definitely going to go out and see the world under my wing. I hope she'll stop the nervous shaking!

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I'd pick up some nutrical too, 1.5 lbs is really really tiny. It's good to have on hand and you can get it at petsmart and petco (I think maybe even Wal-Mart?)

I agree it's her lucky day. There's not much you can do past telling people why not to buy from places like Petland. Some people are still gong to do it regardless.

AllieMackie

Wookie Collie
I agree it's her lucky day. There's not much you can do past telling people why not to buy from places like Petland. Some people are still gong to do it regardless.
^

At this point, I'm glad that she'll be owned by someone/has people around who appears to know what they're doing.

Zhucca

Lab Love
I'd pick up some nutrical too, 1.5 lbs is really really tiny. It's good to have on hand and you can get it at petsmart and petco (I think maybe even Wal-Mart?)

Yeah, definitely. When I went to a breeders house for poms, she said she keeps her puppies on it until they weigh around 2 1/2 - 3 pounds. We're picking some up tomorrow.

Edit - Might as well call it my puppy actually. I'll probably do most of the training and other work. heh. It's just a extra sting since two days ago I had a conversation (me planning for a Toller puppy for the summer/fall) and they said they didn't want the responsibilty of a puppy. I hate impulse buyers.. and this puts a huge dent in my plans as well. Sigh!

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Yeah that's what pap people do. I've always heard about 3 lbs is considered 'safe weight'. A lot of breeders don't let dogs go based on age but by weight. Mia was well over 3 lbs but I had some on hand just in case anyways.

I agree, it's good she'll be in a home where someone knows what they're doing, especially with tiny tiny toy puppies.

Zhucca

Lab Love
Yeah that's what pap people do. I've always heard about 3 lbs is considered 'safe weight'. A lot of breeders don't let dogs go based on age but by weight. Mia was well over 3 lbs but I had some on hand just in case anyways.

I agree, it's good she'll be in a home where someone knows what they're doing, especially with tiny tiny toy puppies.

How much does Mia weigh now? I know it's a weird thing to wonder about but I'm always guessing when I see a picture of her. :lol-sign:

And yeah thats the only thing that makes me a bit disappointed about the size of toy dogs. I like having puppies at 8-10 weeks before their socialization window closes and it's a rare thing for a breeder to allow you to have a toy puppy that younng.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
I am so sorry. I get the with great dismay. I pray the pup is healthy.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
How much does Mia weigh now? I know it's a weird thing to wonder about but I'm always guessing when I see a picture of her. :lol-sign:
Mia is hitting right at about 5.5 lbs right now, maybe 6. She's filled out a bit but it's been a while since she was weighed. I need to weigh her again, I'm curious if she's made 6 lbs or not. Summer is 7.6 lbs in case you were wondering. :lol-sign:

Last edited:

Toller_08

I'm really sorry to hear that... some people just will not listen no matter how many times they're warned. I hope the puppy does well, and I'm sorry that you're probably going to be stuck with all of the works that she'll entail.

nkthen

Monitor this puppy for at least 6 months, anything can happen and you want to be sure that it is healthy.

ACooper

I agree with the others who've said at least the pup is safe with someone who'll knows what they are doing, and will gladly LEARN what they don't know for the dog's sake.

She is a cute little thing. I'm more than sure Poodlemommy and Laurelin can help you through any questions or issues that come up with her. I don't have any name suggestions.........sorry, LOL

If your sister bought the puppy why do you have to do all the training and other work?
My guess would be, either SHE does it or it isn't going to get done at all. Only the dog will suffer, the sister won't.

Growing up, my brother always had big plans and big ideas. He'd get a new puppy from neighbors or friends..........take good care of it for about 2 weeks, then it was old news. We ended up with at least 3 dogs this way, LOL. I was the one who ended up doing all the training, feeding, and general care. I could have said NO, but then when the dog was old enough to be out of control and destructive, my parents would have dumped it in the pound.........I have no doubt about this at all. So I did it for the dog.

Now, with that said, you should hear the stories my brother tells about this dog or that......... how he worked to teach it and the dog could do xxxx and xxxx and so on, LOL. My mom and I always just exchange a glance and smile at each other ;)

Funny side note: My brother decided to get a dog a few years back. I wasn't around to have his back, the dog ended up right back with the original owners because my brother couldn't handle it, not so funny for the dog, but HILARIOUS for my brother the "great and mighty dog trainer" LOL

DanL

Funny side note: My brother decided to get a dog a few years back. I wasn't around to have his back, the dog ended up right back with the original owners because my brother couldn't handle it, not so funny for the dog, but HILARIOUS for my brother the "great and mighty dog trainer" LOL
I'm sure that was the dog's fault, not his.

ACooper

I'm sure that was the dog's fault, not his.
How did you know Dan? He claims it was the dumbest dog on the planet..."NOBODY could've trained that dog" LOL I just smile politely.......there's never any use in trying to tell him otherwise.

T

tessa_s212

Acoop, your brother sounds a lot like mine!:rofl1: He was always handed already trained dogs to compete with in agility, and then always bragged about what an awesome trainer HE was - when he usually somehow ruined some of the good training the dog had beforehand.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
Congrats on the new addition :) You should pick up some nutrical, for dogs that small hypoglycemia is a problem and its a great way for them to get the calories they need

shes a cutie, when I saw her I thought of Piper

filarotten

Fila the love
I do have to agree with the others, she at least has a chance for a good life this way. She looks really young to me, I hope you get her to a vet soon.

Members online

No members online now.