Breeds you'd own except for one little thing

JacksonsMom

This! Paps are just *barely* too small for me and I'd want one from a breeder, too. It doesn't bother me that they're a small dog, just that they're several pounds under what I'd be happy with.

I really like border terriers, but I don't really like how they look when they get older and start graying. Would it keep me from owning one outright? Probably not since it's purely an aesthetic thing, but still.

Also: PWDs. I've loved most of the ones I've known, but every single one has had an awful screeching bark that I just could not live with!
I've noticed this with BT's too :( I don't really like how they look when they age.... but I think I've decided they'd be such a perfect fit for me that I'll have to get past that.

That's one reason I actually do like Silky's, Cairns, Westie's better -- most of them seem to age really well. I've met a few cairn looking dogs at the park that are 13, 14, 15 and I would've NEVER known it.

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
Mia held a grudge against my stepmom for two years because she was dogsitting and then Mia ran away from her and wouldn't go in the crate. So she shoved Mia in the crate and now Mia still has to remind her how terrible she is.

Of course it didn't help that *I* left the dogs outside all day on accident and my stepmom found them and let them in. Mia went off letting her know how absolutely WRONG that was to leave her outside all morning. She went out of her way to let my stepmom know she was not happy with her. It still kind of amuses me that Mia thinks it was Rhonda's fault, not mine. :p
Yeah your stories of Mia remind me a lot of Ry actually lol.

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
Shelties... I would seriously LOVE to own one but Omg so much fluffy coat. If I found one that suited me temperament wise that didn't have such an over abundant coat then Omg yes.

Mastiff, but I hate drool and probably won't ever own a drooly breed unless my husband insists.

German Shepherd- I would probably end up having to import and prefer not to import. Don't really like a lot of the ones I tend to see out here, but then again I haven't seriously looked so maybe there are breeders in the US I'd like.

Xolo- this is one of the few breeds I'd make an exception on my importing rule. The only issue is that I'm PICKY about looks with them. I like a nice looking Xolo and don't prefer the bad skin, bad teeth, tongue out the side look you tend to see sometimes along with the funky confirmation I sometimes notice. I will own one one day though so I may have to bend for the right Xolo, but a few of the breeders I really like are not in the US.

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
German Shepherd- I would probably end up having to import and prefer not to import. Don't really like a lot of the ones I tend to see out here, but then again I haven't seriously looked so maybe there are breeders in the US I'd like.
You can find some spectacular american bred (imported lines) GSD, I've known and trained with a fair number who've not been imported and have great structure and temperaments. I think it's a common misconception but it's also well known you don't always get the best dog possible when importing because it can be hard to fully know/trust your breeder.

/enabler

Flyinsbt

I've noticed this with BT's too :( I don't really like how they look when they age.... but I think I've decided they'd be such a perfect fit for me that I'll have to get past that.

That's one reason I actually do like Silky's, Cairns, Westie's better -- most of them seem to age really well. I've met a few cairn looking dogs at the park that are 13, 14, 15 and I would've NEVER known it.
See, and I think the Border Terriers are adorable as they age, one of the few breeds where I like the old dog look. I think it's the whiskery look, and then when they go grey, they just look like funny old men.

Aleron

You can find some spectacular american bred (imported lines) GSD, I've known and trained with a fair number who've not been imported and have great structure and temperaments. I think it's a common misconception but it's also well known you don't always get the best dog possible when importing because it can be hard to fully know/trust your breeder.

/enabler
Yep!

There's plenty of great GSD breeders in the US. It actually isn't hard at all to find a nice GSD. Of course, that is providing that what you want/expect is actually a proper GSD :) I say that because I have heard people saying "now THAT is what a real GSD is" about huge, heavy boned, low drive, not remotely protective and/or just plain doofy GSDs. So I don't make assumptions about what anyone's idea of a good GSD is LOL

Sit Stay

Not a Border Collie
I think that I would LOVE a Sheltie but I'm wary of the barkiness. I like my dogs very very quiet lol.

Lyzelle

I think I'd really like a Standard Poodle. But I won't take a dog in every so many weeks to get groomed.

Toller_08

Honestly, I don't know. I've tried to answer this thread for a couple of days now. I don't tend to be attracted to breeds with an obvious standout trait that I know I wouldn't enjoy. I guess Dobermans would be my exception to that... I could list a bunch of things as to why they're not a good fit for me (along with things I do like about them), and yet somehow I have two of them anyway lol.

But Leonbergers and St. Bernards come to mind. I love both of these breeds, but they're SO big. I don't know if I'd actually like living with a giant breed. Even Doberman size is too big for me sometimes. But on the other hand, it's usually the combination of size + high energy that gets on my nerves, and giant breeds usually aren't super energetic. But even without that, the drool (for St. Bernards) and the hair would be a lot to deal with. I groom my dogs so often and I can't imagine grooming a hairy giant breed (or even a short coated Saint) as often as I do my current dogs. I think I might try fostering a giant breed/dog one day just to see if I'd enjoy one or not. If I ever do go for one of those breeds, it'll be a very long time from now.

I've had so many breeds just ruined for me, seeing the same problems in them over and over again. To be fair, many of the dogs I see are not all that well bred, but I still have knee-jerk associations for many breeds.

The biggest one for me would be DA in ACDs, I adore everything about them and they are perfect for me in just about every way aside from the high chance of DA, which I do not want to deal with again.

mrose_s

BusterLove
GSD's, except they are just a big big and lack a bit of agility. I'm surrounded by them atm, half the trainers I know have them and I adore them but when I watch them chasing balls they just don't compare to how Quinn moves when she flattens herself out after a ball.
I get my fix pretty much everyday though atm anyway. Hopefully this year a friend of mine is getting a pup from an excellent working line, I can't wait to watch him grow up.

Labs except the "OMG I LOVE EVERYTHING- YAY!!!!"
That said, this is what makes them one of my favourite dogs to demo with during class. Nothing enjoys its release word like a labrador.

Poodles ecept for the "LA LA I'm a poodle! Nevermind you"
Grooming I've met plenty I don't like but 2 trainers I know have them (1 a standard and 1 a mini) and I love these dogs. The one that I see nearly everyday likes to blow me off like I maybe don't exist untill this week when he relised Quinn was coming in season. She's staying at home now and suddenly poody man thinks I am his best friend because I am the bringer of the girlfriend. lol.
The standard I know is gorgeous, I loves him. He's a nice allround dog but probably not enough "dog" for me.

Most breeds I like come down to that if I had room for another dog, I would want something higher on my list. (Which gets more exclusive by the day)
I love Rotti's and GSD's but if I wanted a dog like that I'd probably get a Mal. I love Collies and GSP's but if I wanted a dog like that I'd go a kelpie, BC or maybe a working line Springer.

Exception to that rule. Greyhounds and Borzoi's. I'm just going to have to make room for them on my couch one day and except they will take a space without being any sort of competitive.
I can't wait...

FG167

Pit Bulls. I <3 them so hard but the short coat drives me bonkers. It sticks to EVERYTHING! If they had a double coat that was a spidge longer, I would have many.

Aussies - I have become so intrigued by this breed and would love to try one some day - but I don't like the bunny butt, a tailed Aussie would be very hard to pass up.

ACD - SSA makes me nervous, but I really want to try one someday perhaps.

Chessies - I also want one of these SO BAD someday, but I wish the males were just a bit smaller/more athletic - I don't know if I want to try doing agility with an 85 lb male but I also don't really want a female.

Upendi&Mina

Mainstreme Elitist
Cara is also hurt at all the dislike for aussie bums. I'm the complete opposite, I love the nub.

I'd have a Leonberger aside from their size.

LauraLeigh

I absolutely ADORE out friends Bulldog... But OMG the gas!!! You literally can be watching TV and he'll fart and drive you out of the ROOM!! It's one reason I looked at Frenchies.... Figured smaller versions can't stink as bad? Right? LOL

milos_mommy

i absolutely adore out friends bulldog... But omg the gas!!! You literally can be watching tv and he'll fart and drive you out of the room!! It's one reason i looked at frenchies.... Figured smaller versions can't stink as bad? Right? Lol
wrong!

Members online

No members online now.