Which Cookie?

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
So the Superbowl party I am going to is a meat fest. Everybody is already bringing meat so I asked if I should bring gluten free cookies, because cookies are apparently one of the things my friend with celiac disease misses most.

But which one?? I have your standard chocolate chip cookie. I can make a pumpkin cookie, which sounds good to me as a way to ease everybody's stomachs after cramming a bunch of meat. Also, possibly lemon bars. Or I can do butter cookies. Also a banana/apple/raisin cookie. Mudslide fudge cookies?

Maybe I should do a cookie plate?? I don't even know how many people are really going to go for the cookies...

Maybe I should bring THESE.
http://urbanposer.blogspot.com/2012/08/pudgy-bacon-chocolate-chip-cookies.html

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
Bring this Cookie!

(What? You had to see that coming...)

Peanut butter chocolate chip? Lemon bars could be good for people recovering from all those wings and and such too. And I don't know what mudslide fudge cookies are but they sound amazing.

Make a couple different varieties? If it's not too much work?

milos_mommy

I would do chocolate chip for sure, and then probably lemon bars because those are pretty different tasting and offer variety. I don't think a whole plate is necessary, but two would be nice.

Most people do like chocolate chip cookies though, barring odd dietary restrictions or people not eating anything sweet.

Also depends how many people are going. If it's a superbowl party for 5, two batches of cookies might be OTT. If you'd need to make 3 batches to feed 20 people anyway, changing up the types won't be that much extra work.

thehoundgirl

Pumpkin cookies sound good to me because I love pumpkin. Mudslide fudge ones sound good also. :)

Romy

Taxiderpy
Speaking as a celiac who misses "real" food, chocolate chip at the very least would be amazing. If you or any celiacs or people who cook for celiacs want, this is the recipe I use. It even fools my dad. After years of searching and tweaking recipes, this is the only one I've been able to find that tastes like real chocolate chip cookies and absorbs milk properly instead of disintegrating.

1 stick of butter
1 cup of packed brown sugar
1 egg
1 tsp of vanilla
1 tsp of baking soda
3/4 cup of soy flour
3/4 cup of rice flour
chocolate chips and stuff

Cream butter and sugar together.

Add egg. Mix. Add vanilla and baking soda, mix well.

Add flours, mix well. Then add whatever delicious additives you want. Chocolate chip is awesome. It works well with M&Ms too.

Make blobs on a cookie sheet. Bake at 350 Fahrenheit for 12-ish minutes. If you pull it out when it's just turning gold around the edges it makes a big soft cookie.

You can also bake it in a brownie pan at 325 degrees for 18 minutes to make really good bars.

RedHotDobe

aka RedHotBabe
Okay, a real suggestion. Make pumpkin chocolate chip. I don't care for pumpkin all that much, but when I made them they were delicious. Really light and fluffy.

Oko

Silence, peasants.
Lemon bars, I love lemon bars!

But almond flour and tapioca flour are great for gluten free cookies. I successfully made chocolate chip cookies, and no one knew they were gluten free.

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
Where do you guys buy these other types of flour?

I purchase rice and rye flours at a little specialty store but have never seen tapioca or almond flours AFAIK

Locke

I purchase rice and rye flours at a little specialty store but have never seen tapioca or almond flours AFAIK
Do you have any bulk stores in your area? In Canada, there's Bulk Barn and they carry a whole range of different flours.
You can make your own almond flour by grinding almonds in a food processor.

Here's a link for making your own almond flour/meal

http://detoxinista.com/2012/04/make-your-own-cheaper-almond-flour/

Oko

Silence, peasants.

I buy all my weird food at Whole Foods Market, that's just the grocery store we shop at any way. They're the only place around here that sells enough food without a lot of my allergy foods that I can get stuff. I love that place.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator

Around here, both Schnucks and Meijer carries Bob's Mill brand. Whole Foods has almond flour in bulk I believe but we don't have a Whole Foods. And of course you could always order online. There's a brand people seem to like better than Bob's Mill but I can't remember the name off the top of my head.
Schnucks recently has also started carrying more typically paleo stuff - I used to see Enjoy Life chocolate chips mentioned everywhere but could only order them online, and last time I was in there, ta-da!! Enjoy Life chocolate chips!
You can also try Asian grocery stores for some things, they have some "different" stuff cheap because it's normal for their cooking.

Romy, that's WAY too much sugar for me, haha. All the recipes I make are paleo so no sugar. We made this one at Christmas time and it was super good:
http://paleomg.com/giant-vanilla-bean-chocolate-chunk-cookies-nut-free/
('course a vanilla bean stalk is RIDICULOUSLY expensive around here or something so I just subbed in some pure vanilla extract.)
(I should start a blog called Poor Paleo.)

I think I'm going chocolate chip, pumpkin, and lemon bars. I haven't made any of the lemon bar recipes I've saved yet but I've been itching to do so, so this will be a good excuse. My old lemon bar recipe was LOADED with powdered sugar so that has been completely thrown out the window. D=

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
Around here, both Schnucks and Meijer carries Bob's Mill brand. Whole Foods has almond flour in bulk I believe but we don't have a Whole Foods. And of course you could always order online. There's a brand people seem to like better than Bob's Mill but I can't remember the name off the top of my head.
Schnucks recently has also started carrying more typically paleo stuff - I used to see Enjoy Life chocolate chips mentioned everywhere but could only order them online, and last time I was in there, ta-da!! Enjoy Life chocolate chips!
You can also try Asian grocery stores for some things, they have some "different" stuff cheap because it's normal for their cooking.
I miss Schnucks. But I think there's a Meijer around here somewhere I can try. Or Trader Joe's...I'm sure Trader Joe's has it but it's also twice as expensive there...hrmmm I'll have to look at least and see :)

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
TJ's probably does have some!
TJ's is super cheap on some things and expensive on others. Hot sauce = 99 cents and it's completely clean with no junk in it. I love their salsas too. I bought a bottle of sparkling grape juice because it had no HFCS and it was only a couple of bucks as opposed to about $6 if I bought some "fancy" down here. I'm a pretty price conscious shopper so I know when I'm in there what's a good deal and what isn't.
I wish we had one, but the closest to me is Indianapolis or up in Chicago. I stopped there while I was in Schaumburg and totally stocked up on stuff. =P

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
TJ's probably does have some!
TJ's is super cheap on some things and expensive on others. Hot sauce = 99 cents and it's completely clean with no junk in it. I love their salsas too. I bought a bottle of sparkling grape juice because it had no HFCS and it was only a couple of bucks as opposed to about $6 if I bought some "fancy" down here. I'm a pretty price conscious shopper so I know when I'm in there what's a good deal and what isn't.
I wish we had one, but the closest to me is Indianapolis or up in Chicago. I stopped there while I was in Schaumburg and totally stocked up on stuff. =P
Good to know -- we have one but it's pretty out of the way. Not anything like that though...just ~25-30 minutes in a direction I rarely go ;) Though actually since Cookie's still here and she eats kibble I'm going to be in the area to pick up her next bag some time soon...

Last time I was there I was looking for a couple specific items and they were apparently on the pricey side of the continuum...I was in a rush so didn't just look around in general, but will have to do that next time. Thanks!

Romy

Taxiderpy
Romy, that's WAY too much sugar for me, haha. All the recipes I make are paleo so no sugar. We made this one at Christmas time and it was super good:
http://paleomg.com/giant-vanilla-bean-chocolate-chunk-cookies-nut-free/
('course a vanilla bean stalk is RIDICULOUSLY expensive around here or something so I just subbed in some pure vanilla extract.)
(I should start a blog called Poor Paleo.)
Ha ha, you didn't mention they were going to be paleo GF cookies, cause that's basically removing the two basic cookie ingredients, lol. That recipe looks really good though.

Members online

No members online now.