Rottweiler

DogLover4

I know this topic had already probably been made before but i just have a few questions that i would really apreciate if some rottweiler owners could answer for me

1. are rottweilers good with people/ and children

2.are they easy to train

3. i was told that they never will turn on there on family unless they are constantly hit and abused is this true?

4. on a scale of 1 to 10 where would you rank there stength 1 being the lowest and ten being the highest.

thank you

bubbatd

I think they are wonderful dogs if well bred, well socialized from day one and have an owner who is dedicated to bring out their best . As to strength...goes back to the above. I see a 250 # man with work gloves on being dragged by his rottie...and an old lady with hers just trotting beside her daily.

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
1. yes, provided they're socialized well from a young age. Otherwise, they might have strong stranger aversion.

2. A bit stubborn at times, but definately trainable.

3. No dog, properly raised and bred by a good breeder, will ever "turn" on their owners. But, rotts can be "take-charge" dogs. If they think they can bully you into doing something they want, they won't hesitate to do it. Rotts need a confident owner, they're not for the mild-mannered.

4. About an 8. I'm not trying to be rude, but I can't help but wonder why you're asking this question. I hope you're not choosing dog breed based on its strength/power. That's not necessary unless you're planning on doing training or working that requires strength. For the average pet, other factors are much more important.

luvmydogs

we have had 4 rotties in our whole life, and rotties that we had,
1.were always good with children, providing it gets the proper socialization, as every dog should get.
2.they are easy to train as long as you be the alpha in the pack. they're stubborn sometimes
3.i think any dog would bite even his owner, if he gets mistreated
4,.i dont know about the strangth, as magnum is very good on leash etc. but i would say very strong.
also rotties are like babies, they forget they're big dogs. they think they are chihuahuas. and have great desire to be with people and in our case, kids and other pets

DogLover4

About an 8. I'm not trying to be rude, but I can't help but wonder why you're asking this question. I hope you're not choosing dog breed based on its strength/power. That's not necessary unless you're planning on doing training or working that requires strength. For the average pet, other factors are much more important.

Yeah i take no offence to your question. and after posting i thought some people might question why i want to know.. well any ways the reason i want to know is because i really want a dog i could enter into weight pulling and i just wanted to know how much power i will have to deal with when the dog becomes fully grown you know becaue i heard they can be hard to handle sometimes becuase of there size.

but i agree with you 100%.. there are other areas that are more important thats why i posted questions 1,2 and 3

luvmydogs

DogLover4 said:
Yeah i take no offence to your question. and after posting i thought some people might question why i want to know.. well any ways the reason i want to know is because i really want a dog i could enter into weight pulling and i just wanted to know how much power i will have to deal with when the dog becomes fully grown you know becaue i heard they can be hard to handle sometimes becuase of there size.

but i agree with you 100%.. there are other areas that are more important thats why i posted questions 1 and 2
rotties orig. come from germany, and used to be butcher dogs. they would pull meat/cows/pigs/ for the butchers..so they are very strong..i thought u were talkin about pulling on leash :)

DogLover4

have any of your dogs ever been wierd around kids or people could you give me some examples

luvmydogs

never been weird around kids. my little one could sit on him, pull his ears, which i am totally against, but caught her one day, and he just gets up and walks away. magnum is not a watch/guard dog. i wished he was, but i got people coming in the house, and all he wants, is to be petted. i wonder if there WAS a burglar, if he WOULD act differently. maybe. none of the 4 rotties we had, were any different. it's strange but they were all the same. but i noticed males are more lovable than females. the female would always want to be around my husband. the only time magnum barks is, if he is outside, and i am doing yard work, and i have to tie him out, cus he wants to be with me, and when a stranger walks by, he barks like crazy. i think it has something to do with him being tied out. not sure. but other than that. i have no problems temperment wise. rotties DO tend to get ear infections quite frequently though. at our local Dog pound they had to put a rottweiler too sleep because he was viscious, but i dont know any history about him.....hope this helps a little
http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/rottweiler.htm

luvmydogs

i also want to add that i have magnum from the local dog pound too. he was a stray. but i KNEW he had no mean bone in his body. i never raised him, i have only had him for a few months, and from day 1 he was a sweetie. the other ones we had we had all our lives, and they were no different

LeoAussie :)

My best friend is furry.
I hate when people are against Rotties because, of what statistics pin against them. I think that a Rottie is not great for a first time owner. They can be stubburn, but once you've got the top dog spot, all the hard work was worth it. I have never been attacked or even growled at by a Rottie, nore has any kids in my family. They are really loveable dogs in the right hands. They can be dominite and aggressive if you aren't very strickt with yourself in taking charge and with the dog, making sure he listens.

I wish you the best of luck, make sure you get a good breeder.

R

rottiegirl

Rotties are great!

Rotties love very one, if well bred and socialized. They will protect their home and family. They also love children! I would rate their strength at a ten because they are one of the most powerfull dogs ever bred. Why did you want to know their strength any way? They are very active and love to play with other dogs, but they do like to play really rough.

filarotten

Fila the love
I have had Roxie since she was 6 weeks old. She is now 8.5 years. I have to say she has been an absolute joy to have. She is wonderful with babies and children. She is very protective, it is her nature she is a german rottie. She is very smart, but as a puppy...She is the only puppy I ever had that growled at me when I looked in her face. To this day she does not like you in her face. We socialized her a lot. She has a great judge of character. If she does not like someone then I think something is wrong with that persons character. She minds very well and is strong and healthy. Roxie has different growls and you have to bond with your rottie and know those growls. She is also great with other dogs and puppies. Brutus ....poor Roxie. I could not ask for a better, more loving, well mannerd dog. But you have to bond, they are not a breed to throw out in the backyard. They like being with their family and would give their life for you. It is up to you to socialize them and teach them to obey when they do not like someone.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Here's a Rottie site similar to Chazhound, they can all give you a lot more information. http://www.rottweiler.net/

I've got a Rott mix that I adopted about 3 weeks ago and so far the 'Rottie" things that have come through are: protective yet cuddly when she wants to be, stubborn and one hell of a puller on a leash. We've been working on that, and she's getting better, but I'm pretty sure she could pull a wagon with an 8 year old in it, and she's only 40 pounds herself. She's also a clown of the first degree and goes along perfectly with Sawyer. :)

filarotten

Fila the love
Dog lover4...remember this. There are two types of rotties. The german(the original) and the american(more watered-down version) The german rottie which I perfer is more protective and you do have to socialize them more and they do not love everybody. However the people they do love they adore. Even certain strangers they will like immediately. The people they do not, if you teach them well, they will mind you and follow your instructions. I have always told Roxie its ok. She knows to chill even if she does not like someone. (She likes women more than men) She went thru my window after a man when she was about one. He was in our backyard and on our deck. I was alone and he had no business being there. I am surprised at the people saying their purebred rotties like everyone. All my friends and family that have had one. their rotties did not like everyone. but were trained to respect and abide by the rules. My husbands grandmother had a male (german)that weighed over 185 lbs. he loved her and no-one could get near her without her ok. He was so big when he died last year they had to get a forklift to bury him in her backyard. He was strong as an ox, and gorgeous. BTW Rotties love to watch tv. mine and hbby's grandmothers both watched and now Brutus(fila puppy) does too. so cute. If you get one and it does growl at you look at it and say, oh stop.....you will then get kisses. Just do not let their size intimidate you. Stay on top,and you will have the most loving and willing to please dog you have ever had. Do not abuse one though. But you do have to be firm when they are puppies. They can be terrors. Roxie was for awhile. They are too smart for their own good when they are young. They will also understand anything you say to them if you take the time to get to know them and talk to them alot.

Members online

No members online now.