Zack is bouncing off the walls...and I don't know what to do

Says goodbye to chazhound....done with forums
Zack is so full of energy I don't know what to do. i took both dogs for a walk. And he seemed to be more energized after that. (I wasn't even supposed to be out walking them today (doctors orders) but I did anyway. The medicine I'm on for the allergic reaction tends to cause you to burn easy out in the sun.....My face is so red right now but my dogs needed a walk.)

Anyways Zack has deflated a tennis ball, tore up another ball. He never tears up his stuffed toys but ripped one up and pulled the tail off another. He keeps jumping Sasha and she just wants to take a nap.

I gave them both a kong, Sasha worked on it for about 30 minutes and settled back down but Zack didn't even finish his he just kept looking for more trouble to get into.

We've done obedience work today (which was pointless because I can't keep his attention at all today) I've always joked he was ADHD.....it may be true.

And now he keeps chasing Sasha around the apartment and she is getting ticked. I've seperated them and Sasha has settled down but Zack is still running around like crazy. I caught him tearing at the bedspread. (I have a bedspread I lay on the futon when I decide to nap out there (and being under the weather that is where i am and he tried to tear it up)

I don't know why he is being so destructive. He gets just as much exercise as ever but he is wired. I played tug a war with him too and he just well is wired.

Why would he have so much energy....he has been this way since we got up but its starting to wear on me....and my husband won't be home for another hour (I know not long but it seems long)

What could be causing this surge of energy and destruction and how to calm him down.

(I normally don't crate him unless I'm going somewhere and he hates the crate for some reason so I just try to avoid it....he had bad seperation anxiety as a puppy. but I've even tried crating him and he started barking his head off so I had to get him back out because we have a no courtesy officer at the apartments and some people have already gotten citations.....he goes in there when we leave but he usually doesn't bark then but he will bark if we are here)

So what else can I do....(I don't need to go back outside in the sun right now)

By the way he is a Minature Poodle and he normally just sleeps most of the day.....usually is active in the mornings and the evenings......

Sasha our Jack Russell Terrier mix is pretty much a couch potato. She understands inside means to be calm and outside is play. Zack normally understands that too but today he is just wired and he won't listen to me. (Zack has always had selective hearing....I think its just the type of dog he is but I keep working with him most days he is real good but he does have a few bad days like all dogs and today is one of those days and it doesn't help that I'm tired

Maxy24

Does he like to chase things? If you made a flirt pole (it's like a giant cat toy, you know a toy with a string on a stick but much bigger) you could go outside (I don't know if your apartment complex has a back yard and whether or not it's fenced, if it's not fenced get a long tether and tie it on something so he can run without fear of him running away) and play with that without having to move very much, just stand there and move the toy around. You can buy them or make them, I've seen people make them by taking a piece of PVC pipe, stringing a rope through it tying a huge not at the end so it stays in the pipe and then tying a toy to the opposite end. You hold the PVC pip end and move it around like a cat toy. You should never make the dog leap off of all fours into the air, though you'll see a lot of pictures of that, it can injure the dog.

Just to add, since he's a small dog you could probably get an actual cat toy and use that, get one of the larger ones though. Make sure it has a stuffed toy at the end and not feathers or fluff, I doubt the dog would like that. You could do that inside as well.

BUT all of that is for another day unless you want to go out and buy a cat toy. As for right now, I really don't know, training usually helps but if he is too distracted that's no good! Do you have bully sticks or anything like that? Kongs are more difficult than Bullies so she might enjoy that more, she won't give up on it.

Like i said this is just strange behavior and I am at my wits end today...I'm under the weather getting used to being alone with them again (my husband is back at work) and Zack has never ever in his life acted this way. I know another walk would do him good but I'm not supposed to be in the sun right now due to the medication (I'm on that until thursday)

He is 2 and never acted like this before. He has already gone threw two bully sticks and a oinke stick (with sweet potato filling) I'm just doing everything to pacify him right now.

And its not helping. I just want to rest and he is driving me nuts.....30 minutes and my husband will be home and he can take him for awhile. Sasha and I are just resting on the futon but Zack is still running around like crazy.

He never ever ever acts this way. He is normally such a good boy. Normally sleeps all day. I've had this dog since he was 9 weeks old

We arent allowed to tether a dog outside at our complex (nor would I) and I don't have the energy to go out and get a toy right now. Right now he has a bone but he just can't seem to focus on anything right now. In about 5 minutes he will walk away from it and start causing trouble again.....its been like this all day and I know the more stressed I get the more he reacts but

It sounds like he's reacting to you being sick. Has anything else changed lately?

Can't really give any other advice, good luck!

Other than not being able to stick to the routine because of my medicine (this allergic reaction has wiped me out) my husband started work again a week ago from today. I stopped working again 2 weeks ago. And we got back into a routine as of the end of last week and I just can't do it today. (and I feel bad giving him bully sticks and other bones because I feel like I'm rewarding his bad behavior but I'm just trying to destract him).

Lets see....he hasn't seen my grandfather who he adores in about 3 weeks (he normally sees him about 2 times a week)

there have been some changes. The dog upstairs is in heat.

Thats about everything I can think of

We normally spend a lot of time outside . I usually take them to run and play at my grandparents twice a week. but with the medicine I can't do that this week because I can't be in the sun. So hopefully this won't last all week

My husband just called and is on his way home and he will be taking zack on a good long walk

bubbatd

One of the reasons Chip was rehomed to me was their belief he needed more attention and they didn't have time . They played hard with him and then expected him to chill . All they were doing was stirring him up ! Forget the tug of war ! Spend more quiet time and massages . Chip was trying to please them . Once here he settled down nicely ! Good luck !!

Members online

No members online now.