can a puppy use dog shampoo

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
I'm sure the title is pretty explanatory to my question. I have a 2 month old lab puppy and I didn't buy puppy shampoo. I was wondering if it was ok to use regular dog shampoo on the puppy. She really needs a bath bad and I don't know if maybe the adult dog shampoo would be too harsh for her or hurt her skin?

showpug

Look on the bottle and it should tell you the youngest age it can be used on. If it's a basic cleansing shampoo without pesticides and or medications you should have no problem. The bottle should say something like "safe for 12 weeks and over etc." Happy bathing :D

Ash47

Taco Dog
A lot of times they need to be over 6 weeks. If you have any doubts, you could use some baby soap. Like Johnson & Johnson Lavender. Works and smells great.

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
Good, I'll check the dog shampoo bottle. Otherwise I will just use my daughter's baby wash. My Hannah really needs a bath BAD! She's been rolling around in dirt and mud (it just rained).

showpug

I steer clear of using human products on my dogs because the ph is different even if it is gentle enough for human babies. They wont harm your pup, but other products made for puppies would be better :)

Mollydog

What shampoo and conditioner if cost is not an factor. What gives the best products out there right now?

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
I bought shampoo direct from my groomer for our two dogs. It's a shampoo and conditioner combo. It's by jeffweberpets it says it's for dogs and cats but it doesn't say that it is okay for pups and kittens though. I used it on her today just because I had no choice but I will look into shampoo specifically for puppies though tomorrow.

Ash47

Taco Dog
I am a groomer and a vet tech and there is nothing wrong with using human things on your dogs every now and then. :) Does nothing to them, except clean them!

Ash47

Taco Dog
Mollydog,
You use what is best for your dogs' skin and coat type. If it is normal with no problem, then go ahead and just pick one that smells good. :) You can go to Petedge.com and search their shampoos. Lots and lots of things to choose from there. That is where we get our stuff from at work. It's really cheap and they are a reputable company. If you tell me what the skin looks and feels like and what the coat is like, then I might could help you choose a good shampoo.

Members online

No members online now.