Limited vaccine different than regular vaccines?

Ok, so I've read about vaccinations and how long dogs are immune to them and such. So I would like to start on the limited vaccine protocol.

I talked to my vet about it and he was saying that clinic couldn't do it yet because they didn't have the longer lasting vaccines? I thought the idea of the limited vaccine protocol was because the vaccines had a long immunity in dogs already? He said when they do get this vaccine it is going to cost about triple (so they still will be making the same amount of money really) but to me this just sounds like a way for them to get more money and that the current vaccines are long lasting? Anyone know more about this?

Also, for titer tests he said they are coming out and are going to be getting this new one that tests for all of it and it is a lot cheaper, but doesn't show how close the dog is to being not immune. (But I didn't think titer tests showed this from what I've read?) and instead it will just be something like yes they are immune at that time or no they are not.

I'm just confused because this didn't really seem what I thought I understood from my readings. Can anyone enlighten me?

One other question. Some people say the Dodds protocol for vaccines is only for dogs who have problems with vaccinations, mine haven't. Is this true? But I was thinking more as a preventative to potential bad things and if they are immune why would I?

Grab

I believe there is a combo vaccine out that is marketed for 3 year administration. But I believe it is the same vaccine, just put out by a company that has actually done the studies on that product to show that dogs are immune 3 years later. Our clinic uses the same vaccine for one and three year vaccinations. I'm not sure what other clinics use. (we charge the same for one or three year vaccines)

The Dodds protocol is not just for dogs who have had reactions. It's actually pretty similar to what AAHA now recommends.

^Right, there is a single brand of vaccine that went through the process to be labeled for 3 year use. Many (if not most) clinics use the same vaccine they always did, though.

I won't go into all the gory details unless someone wants to hear them, but there are legitimate legal and liability issues that go into the decision to choose to use the labeled vaccine that vary a bit by state.

JacksonsMom

Ok, so if I wanted to start, my dogs are about due to get their yearly shots, I can just skip them and just get the lymes one?
You can do whatever you choose, they're your dogs. :) The only vaccine legally required is rabies. And that varies state by state by often etc. Mostly it seems to be every 3 years after the vaccine at one year old. Of course rules for boarding, training facilities, etc, differ as well.

But the rest of the vaccines are technically speaking optional. I would personally never advise that someone skip vaccines all together. All I'm saying is we can choose what we think is best for our dogs.

I consider myself to be on a limited vaccine protocol for Jackson. He had the typical DHPP at 8, 12 and 16 weeks. (Well DHLPP at 12 weeks with a horrible reaction to lepto). Then rabies around 6 months old. Then we got DHPP again at one year old and rabies again at one year old. He's gotten rabies every 3 years accordingly, but he hasn't received dhpp since he was 1. I *may* get him a boost of distemper and parvo one more time since he is now 6 but after that, I wouldn't ever plan on getting him any more.

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
After puppy vaccines, I booster at a year. Then rabies every three years. If I need vaccines for boarding/etc., then I follow a three year protocol for DA2PP. If not, I'd probably wait 4-5 years after the first initial yearly booster before boostering again.

I do lepto yearly, as I consider my dogs moderate-high risk. Bordetella as needed for boarding. Down here influenza is a concern, so they're current on that as well. May or may not continue to booster yearly, though. I've never done lyme, but I've also never been in an endemic area without them being on a fast killing tick prevention.

And Sass, I'd be interested in hearing the gory details. :p

Kat09Tails

*Now with Snark*
With the exception of the rabies vaccine as others have pointed out - you are not required to give any vaccines.

What I choose to do is a puppy series and then never again. So far we're doing ok with that. I don't vaccinate for lyme or lepto. We don't deal with tick borne illness that much here.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
What I choose to do is a puppy series and then never again. So far we're doing ok with that. I don't vaccinate for lyme or lepto. We don't deal with tick borne illness that much here.
This.
I'll vaccinate if required but otherwise don't follow any "every X amount of years" schedule. Juno is 6 and hasn't had a distemper vaccine since she was 1, it was after that vaccine that I started forming my own opinion of how I wanted my pets vaccinated.
We do have lots of ticks, and tick borne diseases, but my dogs don't ever get ticks. And everyone's 4dx test this year was negative, so, I'm comfy.

HayleyMarie

Like a bat outa' hell
Panzer is two. He has gotten his puppy boosters , that where spread apart and then rabies at a year. I don't plan on vaccinating him other then maybe rabies, but it's not law here to get rabies done

Teagan has not been vaccinated since she was two years old. Other then rabies two years ago. And I don't plan on vaccinating her again.

Members online

No members online now.