Aus Shepherds

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
Definately. I have a few pictures from where she is now, but they both are rather small. Not sure if this is going to work or not either..

Last edited:
Oh! I just saw that dog on the ARPH website today. Are you in Georgia then? I just got my border collie through an ARPH of GA (long story, but we do think he is a bc, not aussie). Anyway, good luck, she's a pretty girl, just needs a little grooming, and ARPH is a great organization.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
The females are NOT automatically more dominent than the males. But they can be much more "bitchy" than the males and more into their own thing. You'll find more submissive females and more dominant males, just like in any breed. My male is pretty dominant and can be a big brat about it sometimes.

That breeder you're looking at is a pretty good one, I've heard of her before. However, bear in mind that her dogs are mostly old-school working lines, so they're going to be very drivey and harder to wear out than many others. Of course, they'll still have the brains an Aussie should and the easy to care for coat type, but you're REALLY going to have to have multiple outlets for them, otherwise they will redecorate your house on a regular basis.

If you want, tell me (or PM me) with what you're looking for in an Aussie and I'll see if I can't make some recommendations. The lines she has, Pincie Creek, Las Rocosa, Hangin' Tree (which feature heavily in Pincie Creek anyway) stay more in the working side of the Aussie while other lines like Briarbrook, Bayshore are the show dogs, which has it's own set of pros/cons.

If you really just want an Aussie b/c they rock and you want to get your feet wet and see if getting into sports/trialing or showing is something you're willing to go for, then start off with a rescue Aussie, see where your interests lie and then look for a breeder later.

MoonStr80

Obessed with Dogs
Funny. I just was looking at her site the other day. Forgive me I can be opinionated rofl I'm not really good at judging breeders base on websites. BUT -- looks like she does a lot of work herding aussies. I'm not very confidence in this breeder for some reasons etc

BTW -- for an example the pictures you post she looks uncomfortable, I dunno what kind of training s/he does with the dogs?

Beside that the dog looks pretty :)

I guess you're right Zoom not all female Aussies are dominate it's depends on the individual etc

Zoom

Twin 2.0
I believe those pictures CharlieDog posted are of a dog with ARPH right now, a rescue. So she's probably not going to look too comfortable.

It's great to have opinions, just make sure they are educated opinions.

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
Yeah, the dog in the picture is a rescue, not from the breeder. They said she will play fetch, but she isnt very enthusiastic about it, but I think with a little clicker training, she might just learn to love it. Yeah, it does look like she needs a little grooming, but I think Im okay with learning to do it by myself. Their fur doesnt sound anything like say, Shelties or Collies in terms of how it tangles or cleans up. (My aunt keeps Shelties, and a cousin has a dog thats the spitting image of Lassie. His name is Charlie!)

Im going Saturday to meet her at the Petsmart. Im so excited!

Last edited:

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Good luck! Keep in mind that Aussies don't automatically throw themselves at you, especially if they haven't had the best start in life. So don't take any aloofness as personal.

MoonStr80

Obessed with Dogs
Gotcha! Thx for the tip :)

I believe those pictures CharlieDog posted are of a dog with ARPH right now, a rescue. So she's probably not going to look too comfortable.

It's great to have opinions, just make sure they are educated opinions.

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
Ozzy is the same way even though he is only half Aussie. He'll greet people and then ignore them! And everyone wants to pet him because his fur is really soft and he is so unusual looking. He's just like, "Nope, nothing personal, just business ma'am." So I have to run interferance.

Ill be like, "Sorry, he doesnt really enjoy being petted by strangers, but you can let him sniff you, if you want." The fact that some dogs do care for strangers is mind boogleing to some people. Most people Oz will sniff their pant legs (if he even shows that much interest) and then ignore them. If they try to pet him anywhere on his head he ducks out of the way. Scratch him on his chest and he'll stay there for a few minutes.

Some people though, I dont know what it is about them, because I cant recognize a pattern yet, he loves, he wants them to pet him all over. He does the wiggle butt dance, pumping his feet up and down, and turning in a circle brushing up against their legs. Normally he only does that for family and close friends, and with strangers its only been maybe four people out of hundreds. I noticed it because it was so unusual for him to do that.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Other than the few people Sawyer avidly ADORES, the only way I know he likes people is because he'll ever so slightly lean into their petting and then look at me like "see, other people love me too." Most people he'll tolerate a bit of petting and then duck away. Some people manage to find that special spot pretty quickly and he'll let them scratch to their hearts content. But he's not a demonstrative dog by any means, unless you're me or his girlfriend's mom. :p

milos_mommy

CharlieDog...i'm laughing and also a little freaked out right now because i've been looking at rescue aussies for the past week or so!! Not ready to get another dog for a number of months, and not sure if it WILL be an aussie at that point. But they are one of my favorite breeds, for sure.

Zoom, you and Sawyer live in an apartment, right? How do you let him burn off energy every day?

I guess it all depends on where i end up living and what it's like *sigh*.

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
You dont live anywhere near GA do you? Because if I happen to bump into someone walking a dog that looks remarkably like Milo.. Im not sure if Id stop and say hi, or run!

(Watch, Im going to go to Petsmart this weekend, and run into some poor dear doing her shopping that just happens to own a JRT and scare the crap out of her by acting like I know her!)

milos_mommy

Haha i'm way away from GA. I live on Long Island. It's like the anti-Georgia. Full of mean people and snow and overpriced everything.

(my family came very, very close to moving to SC two years ago. One of my very best friends lives in Georgia, too. I'm move there in a heartbeat if i wouldn't miss my family so darn much.)

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
I know. Id love to live in the mountains, but I cant stand being away from my family for more than a few days at a time. It'd be really hard.

The rescue Aussie thing, the problems with the aggression thing, the stupidity when chasing squirrels thing, Id say both us and the dogs are on the same wavelength!

Lets hope though, that when I start teaching Oz stock work, Milo doesnt get any ideas into his head! (By the way, did you name him after the cat in Milo and Otis?)

milos_mommy

Hey, i once saw a JRT do schutzhund. They're up for anything ;)

And nope, not after the cat in Milo and Otis, i just like the name. Technically i suppose it's after Liv Tyler's son, since that's where i first heard it used. I wanted to name him Apollo, but i didn't because i'm saving that for my future son (AND DIDN'T YOU SAY YOU HAVE A GSD NAMED APOLLO? this is almost creepy), and Milo suits him better anyway.

milos_mommy

lol not right now imma go watch american idol (don't make fun, it's a guilty pleasure). but i'm pretty much on chaz 90% of my time, so soon.

Members online

No members online now.