Beautiful Pit on T.V.

oriondw

user not active
Amstaffer said:
A pitbull is no more Russian Roullette than anyother breed. It is not safe to leave a small child alone with any dog.

Oriondw-- From what you have said about your breed and what I have read about them since you mention them to me....They seem a lot more human aggressive than Pitbulls. And at 120+ lbs just as, (if not more) dangerous.

What I don't think many people realize is that if the Pitbull is outlawed people will find another breed to exploit and abuse. Any big tough dog would be slipped into the pitbull spot and maulings would continue. Some people feel the need to have the meanest and toughest dog available. If these crazy people who abuse these dogs aren't stopped they would turn Clumber Spaniel into the next killer. In Milwaukee WI, I see guys breeding Rotts and Bull Mastiffs to get what they think is a bigger tougher dog than the pitbull.

There is a reason why you never heard of Pitbull attacks before the crack empedimic of the 80s. Back then it was Dobs or GSD etc....
So whats your point?

Also, I didnt mean leaving the child alone with the dog, but just meeting a random dog on the street.

Amstaffer

oriondw said:
So whats your point?

Also, I didnt mean leaving the child alone with the dog, but just meeting a random dog on the street.
What my point is that its not the dog breed but the dog owner.

siemens716

Amstaffer said:
Well you might not believe me if you are big Factor fan but I can tell you distorted and flat out lie about the CDC findings and other stats quoted on his show.

Being a fan of Ridgebacks, if they ever out law pitbulls I think your breed would be one of the next to be exploited by the Idiots who exploit pitbulls now. It would then be your breed on the Factor.

Please check out the following website and see if you still feel the way you do.
www.furryfriendsfoundation.com/Truth03/Truth03.htm
I was hoping that was a link to a study disproving what was on TV. A historical of the breed is meaningless. The most important thing is what is the breed like now. And now it is a dangerous breed. Yes unfortunately it happened, and yes previously it was the doberman that was stereotyped but also based in some truth on facts. Now dobbies are very passive, too much so. Perhaps in time pit bulls will be bread to lack aggression, but until that happens I stand by what I said.

As for Ridgebacks being aggresive, they are no more aggresive toward children than other working breeds. The discussion here is that pit bulls are above average in aggression. One reason there are no stories about Ridgebacks or Giant Schnauzers mauling and killing 12 year old children who were members of the dogs family, is because it doesn't happen. That is also a reason why both my breeds are approved by all home owners insurance companies, and pit bulls are not.

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
Pits are not dangerous if raised and treated properly! I have a pit mix and he is the worlds most friendliest dog I have ever met. You can make ANY dog mean just the same as you can also make ANY dog nice. It all has to do with how the dog is treated as a puppy and how it was bred. Pits have been bred to not be people aggressive because when they are fighting they have to know better than to not attack a human. The reason that you never hear of a Ridgeback mauling a child is because they are not a familiar breed! People don't breed them haphazardly like they do pits and other bully breeds! I bet if Ridgebacks became as popular as pits and other bully breeds and backyard breeders got ahold of Ridgebacks and started breeding them there would be just as many problems. It's funny because I had no trouble getting home owners insurance even telling the company straight off we had a pit mix. Our rates did not increase and we weren't turned down. My pitbull mix has NEVER shown ANY aggression towards my 1 year old daughter or my 5 year old and 12 year old stepson. Regardless I wouldn't leave ANY of the children alone with ANY dog (I don't care if it's a golden retriever). Most pitbull attacks aren't really even caused by pits anyways, they are caused by dogs that look similar to a pit!

oriondw

user not active
Amstaffer said:
What my point is that its not the dog breed but the dog owner.
But you just said that my dog is much more agressive and dangerous?

Obviously my dog is stronger and bigger then any pitbull, it comes with his job.

My dog also has nerves of steel and would not "snap", ever. He also knows very well on how to distinguish between threats, and children just running around are not threats. So does majority of all (99%) Caucasians, and once again it comes with the breed.

luvmydogs

most people don't even know the difference between pitts and "look-alikes"
Breed misidentification is a scary thing in a time breed specific legislation is growing.... Pit Bull dogs are often blamed for dog attacks that may very well have been caused by an another breed. CAN U FIND THE REAL AMERICAN PITBULL?????
click here:
http://www.pitbullsontheweb.com/petbull/findpit.html

Amstaffer

siemens716 said:
I was hoping that was a link to a study disproving what was on TV. A historical of the breed is meaningless. .
If you read the whole website and use some of the links you will see some stats. Just the pictures are a history of the breed. Example Pitbulls pass the humane society's tempermant test 80% of the time 77% is average for most breeds. This is amazing considering that pitbulls are more abused than anyother breed!

siemens716 said:
As for Ridgebacks being aggresive, they are no more aggresive toward children than other working breeds. .
There is no evidence to say otherwise with pitbulls. Actually the Staffordshire Bully Terrier in England is nicknamed the "Nanny Dog"

siemens716 said:
One reason there are no stories about Ridgebacks or Giant Schnauzers mauling and killing 12 year old children who were members of the dogs family, is because it doesn't happen. That is also a reason why both my breeds are approved by all home owners insurance companies, and pit bulls are not.
A second reason is there are WAY more pitbulls out there than Ridgebacks and G. Schnauzers! Don't believe the AKC numbers most backyard pitbull breeders (which there are many) don't even know what the AKC is.

A Third reason is if a Ridgeback was to maul someone (And I have seen some aggressive Ridgebacks) the stupid media would report it as a pitbull.

A Fourth reason many of the people who own Ridgebacks and G. Sch. are high socio-economic back ground and more educated and compassionate. Some of the people who are attracted to the Pitbull are down right evil.

If someone applied the same logic to people that they did pitbulls they would be racist and we would have the return of Apartheid or worse!

siemens716-- Answer me one easy question please....If Pitbulls are so unstable and are genetic killers, how come every year there are thousands of dogs shows in the USA and other countries that have 50+ intact Pitbulls, AmStaffs, American Bulldogs etc.... males together at Dog Shows with Children running around, Small Snappy Dogs, Rude Prodding Stangers and other "Triggers" for aggression and yet no one ever gets bit, no dog fights, heck I never seen one show his teeth! I did see a Fox Terrier snap at an Amstaff one time and the Staff put his ears back and head down....No attack.

The point I am trying very hard to make here is that it is the owners who raise unstable dogs....IT could be any dog breed. We need to enforce laws against abuse and maybe make it harder to own a dog (I don't think it should be a right) so some people don't get dogs in the first place. If we don't enforce the laws...Yesterday's Dob, Today's Pitbull could be tomorrow's Ridgeback :(

Last edited:

Amstaffer

oriondw said:
But you just said that my dog is much more agressive and dangerous?

Obviously my dog is stronger and bigger then any pitbull, it comes with his job.

My dog also has nerves of steel and would not "snap", ever. He also knows very well on how to distinguish between threats, and children just running around are not threats. So does majority of all (99%) Caucasians, and once again it comes with the breed.

Read the post right above you.....If the Causcasian became as popular as the Pitbull you would see at least as many problems because as you have eluded to they are bred for aggression towards humans...pitbulls are not.

Bigger...yes Stronger? Well a pitbull still holds the record for most wieght pulled by a dog.

Amstaffer

luvmydogs said:
most people don't even know the difference between pitts and "look-alikes"
Breed misidentification is a scary thing in a time breed specific legislation is growing.... Pit Bull dogs are often blamed for dog attacks that may very well have been caused by an another breed. CAN U FIND THE REAL AMERICAN PITBULL?????
click here:
http://www.pitbullsontheweb.com/petbull/findpit.html
Cool test...I don't wanna brag but....ah got it on the first try...lol I guess I should. I bet most police officers or reporters wouldn't.

Well, if meeting a strange PitBull seems more dangerous than meeting a strange Chi or a strange Labrador, then I have to dissagree with you. I've meet a strange PitBull and do you know what it did to me, my 1yr old cousin and my 4yr old sis? It licked us! Heaven forbid!
I've met a strange GSD. Do you know what it did? It barked at me and chased us (we were on bikes).
I've met a Rottie/Chow mix that had been abused. Do you know what she did to me? She laid down and wanted her belly scratched after abotu 3 days of running away from us!
I'm met a strange Chi before. It tried to eat me.

My point? Any strange dog can bite. It doesn't matter about the breeds. It matters on the individual dog and the way it was raised.

I'd be more afraid of coming across a strange Aussie than a strange Pittie. But then again, I'd read the dogs body language to see what it was feeling, and then I wouldn't stare it down. If a Labrador was coming up to me tail strait up, standing on its tiptoes, staring me down, I'd be scared. If a Rottie or a Chi did that, I'd be scared. If a Pittie came up to me, bending its body, wagging its taill, hunkering to the ground, avioding my eyes, and licking me, I'd feel safe. Same if it was a Rottie or a Lab or a Chi. Don't judge by the breed, jugde by the individual.

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
yeah, my aunt had an adult ridgeback that someone had given her, because they were moving and it was very unpredictable. The dog was never abused or neglected in any way and it was completely physically healthy but it just was very tempermental and you had to be very careful around it.

If Pitbulls are so unstable and are genetic killers, how come every year there are thousands of dogs shows in the USA and other countries that have 50+ intact Pitbulls, AmStaffs, American Bulldogs etc.... males together at Dog Shows with Children running around, Small Snappy Dogs, Rude Prodding Stangers and other "Triggers" for aggression and yet no one ever gets bit, no dog fights, heck I never seen one show his teeth! I did see a Fox Terrier snap at an Amstaff one time and the Staff put his ears back and head down....No attack.

Aggresive dogs are excused immediately from the ring and are not allowed to comepete in future events.

showpug

siemens...It depends. Some breeds are not disqualified for aggression!! It depends on the breed and in some it is acceptable but needs to be controlled. In fact, some terriers actually spar in the ring to test their true terrier tenacity. If you read the Rottweiler standard you will see them talk about it. There are other breeds too.... The only fight I have ever seen at a dog show was between two male dobermans. At one show, the Am. Staffs went before the pugs and both breeds had to stand ringside together. Never once did one go for a pug....they were well mannerd and quiet, just another example of proper training and socialization by experienced dog owners. :)

Amstaffer

siemens716 said:
Aggresive dogs are excused immediately from the ring and are not allowed to comepete in future events.
I have never seen an Amstaff excused or accused of aggression at a dog show. The only pitbull I have ever seen that was aggressive at a public event was a Pull competition I went to. A pitbull that was kept in his crate before his turn to pull was acting aggessive toward passing dogs but when the owner brought him out he was fine....He didn't even notice other dogs.

Dakotah_2009

OOO YEA SHHHAKE IT!!
Purr said:
A dog relies on it's owners to teach it right from wrong. It's the owner's fault for not teaching their dog. And, yes, I'm a Pit Bull lover.
I agree w/ everything you just said!!! I also like the pit bull breed, they are so cute to me!!

Members online

No members online now.