good leash behavior????

tinksmama

Ok, Tink is just not getting the leash thing very well. It's a good thing she's 6 pounds,or i'd be really desperate!
But that's part of my problem with her, she is such a puller. I've tried all the methods , stop when she pulls, move again when lead is slack-nothing-
turn to the right, so she has to follow me, -nothing-
hold leash at my side,problem,she's so short she just ends up pulling sideways just as hard while we walk-nothing-
keep leash at perpendicular angle to her collar,so she can't play sled dog-nothing-
I tried rewarding for no pulling, but I had to stop to treat, which only taught her that 'wait' meant treat...sigh...
she's about 7 or 8 inches high, which seems to make these methods more difficult... maybe I'm the one who needs a trainer..
BTW, I tried some old fashioned methods on old dog,which to this day =unsuccessful....how do you guys get your dogs to understand not to pull?

Aussie Red

Rebel With Cause
I used a pull collar. They sell them at pet smart and they do work they hook to your dogs collar and attach over the nose. very harmless and it stopped Whiskey from pulling right away and after a few walks with no pull I took it off.
Lots of people use harnesses and I was told by his trainer that they are used for pulling and not to use them if you don't intend for your dog to pull.

tinksmama

I have to agree with both of you... I think the harness doesn't help her understand about not pulling, yet b/c she's a chi mix I knew about the trachea thing, what a good idea about the ring in front! maybe I can put her harness on backwards and see if that makes her stop and think... ring on front instead of over her back...

tinksmama

Thank you for the link to the harness! being a do it myselfer by nature, I decided to try a version with the harness we have, did you realize there's a small ring in the front of the regular harness? I never noticed... anyway, i attached the leash to the ring in front of her chest,and MAGIC! it works so well, it scares me! I think it scares Tink too, :D I can see her give me that irritated look, all she does is pull ahead slightly,and it turns her ,and she immediately is paying attention to my direction!
it's kind of funny, she has no choice but to do it with this way, she even grabbed the leash in her teeth, b/c she knew she had no choice-
we just took such a nice, well mannered walk...:p

L

LabBreeder

A head halter (Halti) worked for me. It has a circle that slips over the nose and goes around the back behind the ears and clips together. There is a safety clip that attaches to the dogs collar and the leash gets attached to the another ring on the halti. All it does is turn the dogs head left or right whenever she pulls. There is no pressure on the throat because it's over her nose. It doesn't hurt at all. You just have to make sure it's tight enough cause some dogs can slip out if it's not on correctly. :) It worked wonders with us.

Have you tried keeping a few treats in your pocket? You have to let your dog know they are there. Your dog stays close, and you reward. It works really well for big dogs, but you'd have to try it to see if it was worthwhile for a little one.

tinksmama

Well, it didn't work well, Tink was too small, and every time i'd treat, i had to stop, and lean down, she's only 6 pounds- so what i did was teach her to stop very nicely...:rolleyes: the harness works so perfectly, with the leash hooked to the front, i think the problem is solved,at least till she gets older and settles down a bit... I mean I know she'd still pull if she could, but this girl tires me out! so i'm content(for now) to simply stop the pulling.....

Members online

No members online now.