Chaz Moms and Moms-to-Be Chat (everyone welcome)

Taqroy

On the diaper bag talk - we got this backpack at our shower/party thing. Eddie Bauer Broadmoor Diaper Bag. I haven't actually opened it yet (there's SO MUCH STUFF in the baby room now it's a little overwhelming) but I'll hopefully get into it this weekend.

It sounds like how they described it in the prep class we're in. My doctor and my mom described contractions as waves - they build up low and slow, peak for a set amount of time and then go back down.

milos_mommy

I really liked the article stardogs posted. I thought it was more descriptive than a lot of articles about what childbirth feels like, and still managed to include the wide range of what is "normal".

I'm hesitant to use a backpack instead of a shoulder diaper bag, because I'm afraid it will be a pain to grab stuff out of it quickly - like to check my cell phone or grab my wallet or something.

Also, does anyone else have that stretch marks on only one side of their body thing? Google tells me it's normal and common, but it's SO weird. One of my boobs has two tiny little stretchmarks on the side, and the other one is entirely covered in them. Now I'm getting some on my stomach on the same side as the stretch-markey boob. Why does this even happen?!?!? My skin is the same on both sides!!!

Taqroy

I'm hesitant to use a backpack instead of a shoulder diaper bag, because I'm afraid it will be a pain to grab stuff out of it quickly - like to check my cell phone or grab my wallet or something.
I dunno - I think it's going to be a pain to juggle a baby and try to get things out of a diaper bag no matter what. :p I also don't like having things hang off one shoulder, I can only wear messenger bag styles on my left shoulder (or it feels wrong) so I usually end up with muscle problems on that side.

31 weeks today, my DH has been off work today working on baby's room, I just picked up her custom made crib blanket and my 3D ultrasound is tomorrow! Heck yes!

Sigh. In her usual fashion, baby girl was super uncooperative and hid her face in the side of my uterus the whole time. So we go back on Wednesday to try again. Here's the one decent picture we got:

Grab

Clive was uncooperative for pretty much every 3-d ultrasound attempt. He'd always cover his face, etc. But he was famous for doing that the entire time. This probably should have tipped me off that he'd be a persnickity child...:rolleyes: lol

Mine is uncooperative for every ultrasound AND everytime the midwife tries to check her heart with the Doppler. I'm hoping for dh's sake that she is better on Wednesday.

Barbara!

Hey guys, had a scare last night. Was experiencing early labor contractions and was admitted. IV and everything... They got them to stop. 24 weeks, very scary. Other than that, all is well.

What's the opinion here on sex during pregnancy? My nurses were throwing a fit about it, saying its a bad idea, but I've heard way different. Thoughts?

Grab

My doctor didn't feel it was a no no.

However, I don't know if it would negatively affect things if there's already a preterm labor issue.

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
I've never heard of it being bad, BUT that's in normal pregnancy, not sure about one with preterm labor. I know it's often suggested for women who are overdue to get things started.

IIRC oxytocin is stimulated during sex and it's the same chemical involved in labor. Pitocin is synthetic oxytocin and is used to induce labor.

Romy

Taxiderpy
Hey guys, had a scare last night. Was experiencing early labor contractions and was admitted. IV and everything... They got them to stop. 24 weeks, very scary. Other than that, all is well.

What's the opinion here on sex during pregnancy? My nurses were throwing a fit about it, saying its a bad idea, but I've heard way different. Thoughts?
I went into preterm labor with both pregnancies. To stave it off the doctors put me on bed rest, which included pelvic rest. Even when I got off bed rest they kept me on pelvic rest. The point was to prevent huge releases of oxytocin. They even warned that breast stimulation was to be avoided (not that I wanted it, so sore!! lol).

In normal pregnancy though, it's my understanding that physical intimacy isn't an issue.

JessLough

Love My Mutt

Basically, this: (well, you know, not ME, but the idea behind it :p )

they kept me on pelvic rest. The point was to prevent huge releases of oxytocin. They even warned that breast stimulation was to be avoided (not that I wanted it, so sore!! lol).
Are you sure they weren't trying to tell to stay away from it from now on, since you *do* have preterm labour issues?

Romy

Taxiderpy
From what I understand too, it can be beneficial during pregnancy if there aren't any preterm labor issues.

Normally, the oxytocin release causes your uterus to contract. If there's no worries about accidentally triggering preterm labor then it works to tone your uterine muscles. Even breast stimulation can release a powerful dose. After you give birth you still have to push out the placenta. From my experience, the first thing they do, even before cutting the cord, is try to get the baby nursing right away because that stimulation causes the uterus to contract on its own, push out the placenta, and shrink back down to normal size (which stops the bleeding).

Later on in pregnancy it can be good. For stimulating labor like someone mentioned. There are also hormones in semen that help prime the cervix for delivery.

Preterm labor sucks, and I'm really glad they were able to stop yours. Chug water like there's no tomorrow. Staying well hydrated will go a long way to you carrying until full term. Rest if you start contracting. That sort of thing.

ETA: The nursing thing works really well for whelping a litter of puppies if the dam is going uncomfortably long between pushing them out. It's pretty common to keep puppies nursing through the delivery to help keep contractions coming regularly and puppies coming out in a timely fashion.

Paige

Let it be
I would specifically ask personally because that is not something I would want to up my risks with.

I've been single both pregnancies from the 5-6 month mark so sex was never really a topic while preggo.

Blake got up on his hands and knees yesterday and took two little crawl wobbles forward. He isn't even five months. I am not cool with this. Growing way too fast.

Sex during NORMAL pregnancy is fine.

Sex with risk of preterm labor is often a big no-no for all the reasons listed above.

My coworker had to abstain from sex entirely during her two pregnancies because of placenta previa.

milos_mommy

Sorry about the scare, Barbara! Vibes the next 16ish weeks go by worry-free.

What everyone else said is correct. Sex is not harmful, and can be beneficial, during pregnancy, UNLESS you're at risk for preterm labor - you likely did misunderstand the nurses advising you to abstain from now on, rather than frown upon you doing it previously.

Unless you were having unprotected sex with a new partner (or the unfaithful father), I can't imagine any nurse telling an otherwise healthy patient that sex in pregnancy is unsafe.

Paige

Let it be
Yeah better safe than sorry on that one!

I made a pretty poopy video about toddler/child wearing. I get asked about 1-2 times a week about baby carriers (those who have me on facebook know I am obsessed) and most interest comes from how the heck I wear such a big kid. I swear up and down by kinderpacks for kids that are out of the infant stage. If you have a bigger baby anywhere from 4-6 months these carriers turn into the best thing since sliced bread. They also happen to make the largest child carrier to my knowledge on the market.

Briggs feels WEIGHTLESS in both a front and back carry for long periods in his kinderpack. ANyways, ramble ramble. I don't wrap anymore due to not wanting to drag the tails on the group. Everything is getting the boot except my kinderpacks.

anyways, I am awkward but yeah.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puVdx1UHfhY

Grab

Clive still fits in the Boba right now, but when he outgrows it, we're definitely going to a Kinderpack :) He's tall for his age, but still gets extra cranky if he's tired and you have to go into a store, etc. He's also prone to falling asleep in the car, so numerous times he's fallen asleep a block before I pull into a parking lot or something. It's soooo handy to be able to plop him on my back, where he sleeps peacefully while I peacefully shop, rather than have to either not shop at all or have a tantrum.

Members online

No members online now.