Predicting adult size

lizzybeth727

Well, I don't exactly remember Keegan's weights at different ages, but it still seems to me like the calculator is not very accurate. Apparently he should weigh between 29 and 35 pounds (he's 50 now and should gain another 10 pounds or so).

Not accurate at all!!! Enda came home at around 9lbs at 8 weeks old. This site says she should have grown up to be... "Your Beauceron puppy is likely to grow to:
27 lb 1 oz
This is 59% below this breed's average"

She has "filled out" since her last vet visit so I suspect her to be no less than 56lbs, could be more. Nope, don't trust this site at all!
I'm not sure if I have any of Jinjo's puppy weights set aside in his folder or not, but I can't remember his at all, so no help there.

lizzybeth727

Not accurate at all!!! Enda came home at around 9lbs at 8 weeks old. This site says she should have grown up to be... "Your Beauceron puppy is likely to grow to:
27 lb 1 oz
This is 59% below this breed's average"

She has "filled out" since her last vet visit so I suspect her to be no less than 56lbs, could be more.
Ha ha, Keegan was 9 lbs at 8 weeks, and should get to the upper 50 pounds.

Looks like Chazhound has more accurate growth charts. :D

If I'm not mistaken, I've heard that you can double the weight at 4 months and have a pretty accurate guesstimate.

Saeleofu

Works (approximately) for Tango - he was 5lbs at about 6 months. This says he should be just over 6 pounds, which he is. At 10 months and a small breed, he likely won't grow much more.

Well, I don't exactly remember Keegan's weights at different ages, but it still seems to me like the calculator is not very accurate. Apparently he should weigh between 29 and 35 pounds (he's 50 now and should gain another 10 pounds or so).
He's TINY! Logan was 65ish when I got him at a year old, and now he's 2 1/2 and 76ish pounds. But he's also apparently a giant collie at 26" :rofl1:

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
Especially when it comes to chi's/yorkies.. there are 258972785 growth charts out there trying to determine adult weight by puppy size. and usually, they are wrong.
Breeders of the worst kind of course will have charts and tell you what you want to hear "Oh of COURSE he will be under 3 lbs"

At the end of the day, I think the biggest factor is size of dogs in the pedigree.

Puppies have growth spurts/lags, some puppies are bigger because they were the strongest of the litter/got the most food, some are smaller because they are weaker but grow normally when they are back on the proper diet.. Some tiny puppies average out to be large adults, some large puppies stop at 3 pounds. Genetics and size are a complicated thing..

lizzybeth727

He's TINY! Logan was 65ish when I got him at a year old, and now he's 2 1/2 and 76ish pounds. But he's also apparently a giant collie at 26" :rofl1:
He IS small, right? I kept waiting for him to get a lot bigger, and he just hasn't done it. Jordan (his dam) is kind of small herself, and I didn't get to meet his sire to see how big he is. I do know Loki (Logan's sire) is quite large, and I'm always saying how Logan takes after Loki and Keegan takes after Jordan. :)

I haven't measured his height, but I'd guess about 24".

Saeleofu

He IS small, right? I kept waiting for him to get a lot bigger, and he just hasn't done it. Jordan (his dam) is kind of small herself, and I didn't get to meet his sire to see how big he is. I do know Loki (Logan's sire) is quite large, and I'm always saying how Logan takes after Loki and Keegan takes after Jordan. :)

I haven't measured his height, but I'd guess about 24".
Even at that, Logan was bigger than Loki. He's was bigger than everybody :rofl1: When I got him Mel told me he'd be around 80 pounds when he was full grown and I thought she had to be crazy, but she's pretty darn close!

lizzybeth727

Even at that, Logan was bigger than Loki. He's was bigger than everybody :rofl1: When I got him Mel told me he'd be around 80 pounds when he was full grown and I thought she had to be crazy, but she's pretty darn close!
Wow. I'll admit I was nervous when I saw how big Loki, Jackson, and Amos were.... I thought maybe all the boys in her lines were just really big. I wouldn't mind a dog that big, but I am glad Keegan's smaller. :)

Saeleofu

Wow. I'll admit I was nervous when I saw how big Loki, Jackson, and Amos were.... I thought maybe all the boys in her lines were just really big. I wouldn't mind a dog that big, but I am glad Keegan's smaller. :)
Logan's perfect for me. I actually wouldn't mind and extra 2-3 inches taller, but I definitely wouldn't want shorter for what I'm using him for. For a pet I'd be fine with a smaller dog, but for a working dog, at least the way I use him, taller is better ;) That's actually one of the first things I asked about was how tall he was/was expected to be lol

Sit Stay

Not a Border Collie
Not accurate for Quinn - it said she would have matured 23 pounds. I wish LMAO.

Quinn was a big puppy, grew fast and has been the same size since she was 6-7 months old.

JacksonsMom

Jackson's always sort of followed most of those things, sort of-ish. He was 6lbs at 12 weeks and so adult predication was always 12lbs (this particular site says 12lbs 13 oz). He was at 12lbs up until a little over a year old, when he suddenly hit up to 16lbs at about 1.3 years old or so.

Members online

No members online now.