New dog, perhaps...

dawnell

I've latched on to this beautiful rescue Australian Shepherd and am wanting to adopt him. I've been talking to my b/f about it and he is thinking....of the idea. We have Maiven, my three year old aussie girl, and I know she would love the company. I'm so excited about this BUT someone else will be looking at this dog this weekend---so it really depends on whether or not they are interested. :( Oh well, I guess I should look at it as if it is meant to be, it will happen. Isn't he lovely!

I think it would be a wonderful thing for Maiven and for him. Aussies love company. They don't necessarily take to a newcomer immediately; they usually want to get to know the new dog, but once they've accepted the new one they have a blast with the new playmate.

dawnell

Well, my bf decided that now is not the time for a new dog. :( Of course the woman who was interested in adopting this dog has changed her mind and I am left heartbroken. I just need to find my own place where I can fill my need to have other dogs. And find a partner who loves animals as much as I do.. I'm so bummed.

avenlee

awwww I'm so sorry, but maybe right now isn't the right time. LOL love the dump the b/f get the dog scenerio though.

Dawnell, I'm so sorry to hear that. Aussie's aren't the only ones who love company, hmmm?

Sounds like you're ready to make some changes for the new year. When I threw out the ex-spousal equivalent (thanks for the label, View Ladies - lol), my friends were the ones who got me through the whole mess and kept me from letting him come back one more time . . . so, if you do make decisions like that, count on your friends to keep you busy and talk to you.

And count on your dog, too!

dawnell

Thanks Renee,

I did break up with him-- for lots of other issues too! I guess this was sort of a test to see how he would respond---just exactly as I thought. It's something that's needed to happen for a long time. Now, I just gotta be strong and not give way to my wishy-washy heart and let it all go. AND realise that I don't HAVE to be in a relationship with someone. I have my dog and my apartment. :p

BTW ....I love that quote!

"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland

Yeah, I got rid of mine for lots of reasons, too, but the fact that he didn't like animals really didn't help his case any. I still think he took my Tessa-cat off somewhere and dumped her. I couldn't find her in the house for several days, then he told me he'd found her body and buried her next to one of the flower beds - but there was no dirt disturbed!

Charley, on the other hand, actually pays more attention to the dogs than he does to me . . . :rolleyes:

If you need to rant, drop me an e-mail.

bogolove

My hubby's sister was dating a guy that did not like dogs and she has a MASTIFF. I kept telling her to get rid of him (I mean how can an animal lover and a non animal lover live in the same house?) She eventually did get rid of the guy for several reasons. So now she is marrying a great guy who loves her and her mastiff!

becca_4321

I didnt have a dog at the time I met my husband, only my cat. The thing that won me over was my cat took to him as if he'd known him all his life and he never acted that way around other people! I figured if my cat thinks he's ok then he deserves a chance.

Doberluv

AND realise that I don't HAVE to be in a relationship with someone. I have my dog and my apartment.
AND YOU HAVE YOURSELF!

VIOLA!!!!

Being alone with just my 4 dogs for a couple of years after dumping ex-narcissist b.f. was the BEST thing that ever happened to me. You get soooooo strong in yourself and you're free as a bird.....Wonderful feeling! Don't ever let anyone hamper the freedom to live your life or love of animals. Fight that wishy washy stuff. If it's worth saving, then work the problem. If not, then make a clean break and work on yourself.

The old, wise woman has spoken. LOL.

As I was standing out in the middle of the muddy pasture helping Charley unwind a skein of barbed wire, I realized the only time I've ever really been treated like a woman - perfume, candles, wonderfully scented bed linens, sitting propped up on the feather bed literally in the midst of a dozen fluffy pillows drinking a mug of international coffee, reading a fascinating book, music I loved on the CD player, with my critters sprawled out peacefully around me was when I had no man in my life. My nails were done, my hair was trimmed and styled regularly, my house was clean . . .

dawnell

awwww, you gals are GREAT! Thanks.

My bf loves Maiven or at least I thought he did. We just had a lot of issues that were really bothering me. He's a bit older (52 this month) and I'm 37 and I guess he's rather set in his ways on certain things. We've been breaking up and then getting back together a little more frequently now:rolleyes: ..I think I need to be alone for a while. Take time to really work on my classes at school.

Thanks for listening..... :(

At least you won't have any custody battles! Charley and I have remarked that we HAVE to stay together - we'd kill each other over the dogs. Although I think I could make a pretty good case for them living with me, lol! The girls really would love my big bed piled up with two featherbeds, a down comforter and mountains of pillows. How long those featherbeds and pillows would last with these Amazons would be another matter . . . :D

Members online