How do you find a good breeder?

AllieMackie

Wookie Collie
I'm a bit late to the game here, and I haven't read other's posts, but I'm sure lots of helpful advice has been given.

For most breeds, finding a really good breeder is a bitch and a half. It took me six months to find a breeder I liked, and it was just lucky for me that she had decided on a second litter before year's end, or else I'd still be waiting for Finn (and I would, because Mary is -that- amazing).

Definitely seek Beanie's aid and other folks who are familiar with the sheltie world. They know what will shine as good and bad in breeders. Other than that, be sure yourself what YOU want out of a breeder, and one day the right person will find you. Good luck, and keep us posted!

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
The other thing to add to the rest of the advice given.......Very important to see proof of the genetic testing AND also proof that not only the dam and sire have clearances but also THEIR parents/grandparents are also clear, and recently clear not years ago. I want a pedigree full of dogs that don't have issues even in their old age, granted its no guarantee but it sure improves the odds.
YES... the numbers for OFA and CERF clearances were on the pedigrees I was given by Auggie's breeder, and I came home and looked them up. I forgot to mention that. You will want to access the database and check it out yourself. "Tested" doesn't mean the same thing as good, clear, et cetera, so I ALWAYS recommend people go research the results for themselves.

Here's the websites:
Orthopedic Foundation for Animals (sometimes will include the CERF in the results)
CERF - Canine Eye Registration Foundation

Looking up a dog in OFA also will give you sire, dam, offspring (if any), and half-siblings. Clicking on those links and exploring the pedigree on both sides is educational, to say the least. =>

AllieMackie

Wookie Collie
Also adding:

That is really more valuable than anything... I DEFINITELY think it's important to go out to the breeder's place and meet them, meet their dogs. Talking on the phone is one thing and you can still get a feel for somebody on the phone, but in person you get a better feel for the kind of person someone is, IMO. I really think when you meet the right breeder and meet the right dogs... you just know. It's a gut reaction about how you connect with the person and their dogs, how they connect with you, and their connection with their dogs.
YES. I knew Mary was thye right one when I met her and her dogs. Her BCs were so friendly, sweet, and silly. All 6 of them were well-trained, off-switched, and she owns both of Finn's parents.

When I went to pick up Finn, I had to drive seven hours to her house. She gladly offered her house for the night, and it was -wonderful-. I got to know the dogs even better, got to spend time with the pups, and we drank wine, watched TV, talked herding and just had a good time. She felt like an old friend. <3

Sooo I've been emailing some of those breeders that Maxy posted, telling them what I want...... and one of them referred me back to the one in Pittsburgh that has the blue merle sheltie that I was considering looking into before!!!!!!! Isn't that some kind of sign?

Lizmo

Water Junkie
Sooo I've been emailing some of those breeders that Maxy posted, telling them what I want...... and one of them referred me back to the one in Pittsburgh that has the blue merle sheltie that I was considering looking into before!!!!!!! Isn't that some kind of sign?
No. To me, that'd be a warning about the breeder you're emailing with. :p

Shelties are a hard breed to find breeders for imo. I thought about going that route instead of a bc for the next dog simply because shelties are familiar and not quite so high drive as a bc. I live in an apartment so that's a consideration.

When we got Trey, our breeder had HIC's, agility titles, and obedience titles on her dogs as well as conformation Ch's. I didn't realize how rare that is. Trey's breeder no longer breeds. Even then, Trey isn't the type of sheltie I'd want in the future. I've looked for similar titles on dogs now and all I see are really Ch's on most lines. I have found lines with only Ch's that produce good sports dogs, but it's annoying and I'm beginning to wonder if that type of sheltie even exists much anymore. I did find one with good dogs and performance titles but she was very short with me in emails (basically a 'I will have X litter at this time') and the only breeding she was doing this year the parents only had show titles and no performance.

I think I know someone who has a dog from Belmark, but maybe I'm wrong. :confused:
I dug down to find this post but wanted to reply anyway... :p

I think a big part of this is how CRAZY competitive some breeds have come in AKC. While competition is good in that it keeps the level of excellence high (I can't tell you the last time I saw a sheltie in the ring that had any sort of major soundness issue or even that was spooky (at least, nowhere but the puppy classes)- but almost all of them are getting presented by handlers. Finishing a dog in competitive breeds now means sending the dog off for weeks or (more like) months with a handler- that's time you're NOT training!) So it's a catch 22. Which is MORE important to their breeding program?

Check out Classic Shelties down here in TX - most of their dogs are only titled in breed BUT a lot of them have siblings who are doing very well in performance. In breeds as competitive as shelties, frequently, you're going to have to look at the vertical pedigree, not just the horizontal, to find out performance information.

Members online