I want a dog!

Brattina88

Hi. I was wondering if you guys could help me out. I want a dog, but I want to do research and do everything "right" and I'm not sure where to start because I can't decide on a breed. Well, everytime I think I've decided on a breed my sister tells me that they can't be offleash (beagle) or they tend to be domenent (pit bull) and I'm 'only 14'

I have school 7:45am - 2:25pm and I come straigh home. School is about 5mins away from my house... I like to sit in the house and play video games and be on the computer a lot, but I like to ride my bike and be outside to. I was hoping that having a dog would give me a buddy to be outside with and walk or whatever.
I want a dog that is easy to train because I've only helped my sister socialize foster dogs and stuff. I've never really taught a dog myself to sit or anything. Her dogs are really social and I like that, because I could go with her to some of her dog events and hiking and stuff. So I want a dog that I can trust offleash.
I really like the look of boxers, pits, bulls, dobes, wiems, hounds, ect but I've heard that they are domenent, stubborn, or aggressive. My mom won't let me get a dog if she think I cant handle walking it down the sidewalk.
This probably sounds like a really immature requirement, but I love how soft boxers are with their short coats. How come pugs or smaller breeds like that aren't as soft as boxers? It would be cool to have a dog like that.
I think a medium - large dog would fit best.

Oh, and I really wanted a golden, but my mom says that's her dream 'retirement' dog and she's not ready to retire for quite a while. And I wanted to say that my dad is making my sister get rid of Charlie, but he'd let me keep my own dog. As long as I do things "right"
You guys made some really good suggestions, especially with the little information given over the internet, and I can vouch for that because I know the type of lifestyle the dog will have to deal with.

We've been talking, preparing, and just doing some research. I swear this is the most my brother and I have ever gotten along :lol: :eek: We've been looking at the most amazing GSD, Lab, and Collie mixes at the shelters and pounds. It's been hard to not adopt one... we came close a couple times.

My Mom has always loved boxers, and its something that has easily rubbed off on my brother. There is one that I am trying to place in another home, and he is a handful. I simply don't think that a boxer is honestly a good choice for my brother and the family... And that's hard to admit, because I do love boxers, too.
But he wants a dog that can come hiking with me and go to off leash (legal) parks and the concern of BSL has come up. They just aren't "educated" enough, and imo don't have enough experience for this type of dog, because of the reputation alone [I'm afraid].

My brother is not doing well in school right now, and my parents are using a dog as an incentive. It's stupid high school, and I would beat up those jerk guys if I was younger :lol:
He really needs a buddy, but I just don't know...

hmm....

anyways, a *bump* because he's going to be on later, and I'm not sure if he would've found his old thread. :lol-sign:

Members online

No members online now.