Swollen throat?!

NeoPhyte

Hey guys,

I have a 3 year old Neo. Two days ago, when he came in from the back yard, my wife noticed that his dewlap was swollen. When I went to look at him, I felt under his chin and it was really hard, like a giant tumor. We took him to the vet, but they were not sure of the cause of it. All they could tell me was that they had cases before, where dogs either got bit by something, or ate some rat poison.

I asked the vet if it could possibly be some kind of allergy, but he dismissed it because Brodi had a fever of 104 degrees.

Well, they ended giving him some shots, and gave me some anti-biotic pills to take home with me.

It's two day later, and the swelling on the sides of the dewlap has significantly gone down, but the one in the middle is still there.

I was just wondering if anyone has experienced something like this and what did you do. I'm just a little bit anxious, even though the vet said it would take 6 or 7 days to go see any changes.

Here's a picture of him before we took him to the vet:

Ivy

I tried to find some information, but had no luck. Just stay calm as dogs can sense when something is up.

By the way, he's really cute!!

Barb04

Super Moderator
All I can tell you is that 2 weeks ago I took some soil from my front yard to fill in a hole in the fenced in backyard where the dogs stay. My one female came in (part neo) with her eyelid swelling, then her faced was swelling. We took her to the vet also and was given 2 shots and on benedryl for 24 hours. The swelling went down. Four days later, the same thing happened and we immediately gave her the dosage of benedryl for 24 hours and it went down.

All we could think of was there was something in the dirt we put in the back yard. We dug is back up and after that, no more bites. There was something definitely in the soil that we couldn't see that was biting her. She was the only dog that was putting her nose/mouth into that soil.

NeoPhyte

Thanks, y'all for the help. I was able to get some more info from some people who have had the same experience. One of the breeders told me that his dogs get it all the time. His was actually from two dogs fighting and when one of them gets a puncture wound it causes the infected area to swell up from the abscess building up. His solution was to lance the infected area with forceps, and put a tube in and out the other side, thus draining the built up blood and pus. It involved suturing the ends and stuff. I thanked him for the info, it really put my mind at ease, but that I wasn't gonna try to do that myself.

One of two things would probably happen. One, I would pass out or I would end up killing my dog accidentally.:lol-sign: Uhh, no.

Well I guess he was spot on, because this morning I was awakened by my son screaming,"Daddy!! Brodi's dead, Brodi's dead! Help him!!" The abscess had blew up on it's own and there was tons of blood and pus all over the floor.:yikes:

After I was able to calm Nicholas down, I got Brodi into the tub and hosed off all the blood and called the vet. They just told me to wash off the area with water and bleach and to give him more of his antibiotics.

They're both asleep now! Wheeeeew!!

NeoPhyte

Yeah,
It looked like a crime scene in my bedroom there for awhile! I was glad I was able to get some info from the 2 breeders on the Neo site. I've owned dogs all my life and I've never had it happened before. My vet, as nice as he is, didn't really prepare me for what could happen. I would of probably pooped my pants if I didn't know any better, lol.

Members online