jumping problems

hotdog2007

My dog has a bad problem with jumping on people :(. She'll jump up on anyone who is friendly to her, and is really bad with people she knows and likes well. Any suggestions on how to stop this behavior? I would really appreciate it!

S

Squishy22

Reggin is that way. Its very rude and thats why I hate it. The best thing to to is ignore him. The person who is being jumped on should turn around and avoid eye contact with him. The problem is that everyone who sees Reggin likes to give him attention even when he is jumping up, so that reinforces his behavior.

hotdog2007

Reggin is that way. Its very rude and thats why I hate it. The best thing to to is ignore him. The person who is being jumped on should turn around and avoid eye contact with him. The problem is that everyone who sees Reggin likes to give him attention even when he is jumping up, so that reinforces his behavior.
Yes, I feel the same way about it being rude and have the same problem with many people. I've ignored her and it's worked somewhat with cutting down her jumping on me, but I haven't been able to ask people we barely know to do the same. I usually end up pulling her back by her leash as she is jumping so she doesn't make contact with them, but it doesn't teach her not to jump the next time. She is also very persistant with her jumping, and will jump several times even when ignored. Maybe I should stage situations with friends, in order to teach her better.

S

Squishy22

Yes, I feel the same way about it being rude and have the same problem with many people. I've ignored her and it's worked somewhat with cutting down her jumping on me, but I haven't been able to ask people we barely know to do the same. I usually end up pulling her back by her leash as she is jumping so she doesn't make contact with them, but it doesn't teach her not to jump the next time. She is also very persistant with her jumping, and will jump several times even when ignored. Maybe I should stage situations with friends, in order to teach her better.
It takes time. Ignoring and turning around is not a quick fix. Sooner or later he will get the idea that jumping up gets him no attention. Attention is what he should get when he is NOT jumping. Yeah, its hard sometimes when people just love to give attention even when the dog is jumping.

R

RedyreRottweilers

Step one: Get a leash and use it. Prevent the behavior.

Step two: Teach the dog the sit command.

Step three: when the dog tries to jump up on the leash, ask the dog to sit, and reward it for doing so.

hotdog2007

Thanks! She is on a leash and knows the sit command, so I will go to step three.

Step three: when the dog tries to jump up on the leash, ask the dog to sit, and reward it for doing so.

Baxter'smybaby

swimming upstream

this is exactly what I have been doing with Wilson (he can jump high for a short legged guy!) after 2 months of this...he is finally starting to respond to the sit command (after trying to jump)--now, he may not be a quick study! but he is getting it!

S

Squishy22

When there is new people in the house, there is no way in hell that Reggin will listen to the sit command as he gets more pleasure from jumping up on people than from some treat. Trust me, I've tried. But all dogs are different.

R

RedyreRottweilers

When there is new people in the house, there is no way in hell that Reggin will listen to the sit command as he gets more pleasure from jumping up on people than from some treat. Trust me, I've tried. But all dogs are different.
So with all due respect, if you cannot even teach your dog not to jump up or obey a sit command, why are you on the training forum giving advice?

elegy

overdogged
then i would remove him from the situation so he doesn't self-reward and make the behavior stronger.

S

Squishy22

So with all due respect, if you cannot even teach your dog not to jump up or obey a sit command, why are you on the training forum giving advice?
Excuse me?

Yes, he does obey a sit command. But when people are around he gets too excited, and you know one training tactic may work better for some than others. In Reggins case, he dislikes getting the cold shoulder when he is jumping for attention. Turning and ignoring has worked quite well for us, in fact, that is the very reason why I gave advice. A little something I've seen done by Victoria Stilwell.

And please tell me why I should not give advice when something has worked for us.

S

Squishy22

then i would remove him from the situation so he doesn't self-reward and make the behavior stronger.
He quits jumping when people ignore his behavior, so I do not have to remove him. We have worked on that for a while now, and he has very much improved. Now he just wiggles about with the tail going.

my puppy has this problem.we are still in the learning phase and we tried the turn our back trick, that has no effect on her.

I saw a episode of victoria stillwells where she was helping train a jumper, she had a leash on the dog, brought in a visitor, and the dog jumped , the second the dog did this she took the dog out,(away from everyone) waited for dog to be calm, went back in the room, dog jumped , repeat. and after I think she said 10 minutes of doing this the dog finally stopped.

so I decided to do give this a try and it does work, only thing LOL is I have to do it to each individual person. Its almost like she says "oh well I cant jump on dad but hey this person is fair game"
this is why I said she is learning. This tech. definatly works, I guess it boils down to consistancy.

if we are out for a walk or something, I step on the leash, while she is in sit, so if she gets the urge, she cant jump.

hotdog2007

I understand where you're coming from, Reggin, in that jumping on people combine two of my dog's favorite activities - jumping and meeting new people - and she may be too distracted to respond to the treat. Or rather, she will likely sit down briefly when given the command, then ignore the treat. I think I may try getting some yummy treats that she doesn't usually get to have, and asking the other person to give her the treat when she sits, and then resume petting her so long as she stays seated. I used the "unique" treat method when crate training her (deli turkey slices in her kong) and it worked really well. I'm hoping if I combine it with ignoring her when she jumps, it will eventually sink in that she needs all four paws on the ground. I'll let you know how it goes!

Maxy24

In this case attention from the person the dog wants to jump on is usually a good enough reward, always remember to have the person calmly reward the dog for not jumping/sitting and never touch the dog when he is being jumpy.

S

Squishy22

my puppy has this problem.we are still in the learning phase and we tried the turn our back trick, that has no effect on her.

I saw a episode of victoria stillwells where she was helping train a jumper, she had a leash on the dog, brought in a visitor, and the dog jumped , the second the dog did this she took the dog out,(away from everyone) waited for dog to be calm, went back in the room, dog jumped , repeat. and after I think she said 10 minutes of doing this the dog finally stopped.

so I decided to do give this a try and it does work, only thing LOL is I have to do it to each individual person. Its almost like she says "oh well I cant jump on dad but hey this person is fair game"
this is why I said she is learning. This tech. definatly works, I guess it boils down to consistancy.

if we are out for a walk or something, I step on the leash, while she is in sit, so if she gets the urge, she cant jump.
I love that show, and I've learned a lot from it. If you notice, she uses several different methods. Some methods work for some dogs and others do not. It depends on the dog and how severe the issue is. I've seen her remove dogs several times before, and it does work quite well a lot of times.

R

RedyreRottweilers

Excuse me?

Yes, he does obey a sit command. But when people are around he gets too excited, and you know one training tactic may work better for some than others. In Reggins case, he dislikes getting the cold shoulder when he is jumping for attention. Turning and ignoring has worked quite well for us, in fact, that is the very reason why I gave advice. A little something I've seen done by Victoria Stilwell.

And please tell me why I should not give advice when something has worked for us.
You state:
From this I interpret that your dog jumps uncontrollably on people when they enter your house, and will not obey a sit command under distraction.

You did not post that ignoring your dog works for you until after my and elegy's post.

In my experience in training dogs, for ME, ignoring this sort of behavior does not work. Maybe it does for some people, however, I have big dogs, and I cannot have them jumping all over people while I instruct them to "ignore it".

I also did not realize that you have ANY experience in training dogs.

S

Squishy22

I understand where you're coming from, Reggin, in that jumping on people combine two of my dog's favorite activities - jumping and meeting new people - and she may be too distracted to respond to the treat. Or rather, she will likely sit down briefly when given the command, then ignore the treat. I think I may try getting some yummy treats that she doesn't usually get to have, and asking the other person to give her the treat when she sits, and then resume petting her so long as she stays seated. I used the "unique" treat method when crate training her (deli turkey slices in her kong) and it worked really well. I'm hoping if I combine it with ignoring her when she jumps, it will eventually sink in that she needs all four paws on the ground. I'll let you know how it goes!
I wish you the best of luck with whatever works the best for you. Reggin has a big issue with ignoring tasty treats. Its when he is denied attention is what really kills him, and he will do ANYTHING for attention. lol.

Members online

No members online now.