Having a dog eat slower?

ltk202

My dog Rocket threw up twice, once 2 days ago and again today. The first time he threw up, he threw up 2 big pieces of a pig ear (my dad gave him and our other dogs them as treats). Today he threw up again, but it wasn't as bad (it was his food) so I'm assuming he's eating too fast. He seems normal, but ever since we got our other dog, he has a tendancy to eat faster. Any suggestions?

scob89

DILLIGAF?
Mix his food with hot water. just a little not a lot. That works well at the shelter.

First off, the pig ears aren't that good for them, so it's probably just as well he's throwing them up, although they can scratch and tear his throat if they aren't chewed well.

Now, for the problem of eating like a pig at a trough . . . Try feeding the dogs in separate places where they can't see each other and there is a closed door between them. That way there's no race to finish first before the other one can steal food. I've had to do that with Shiva. She eats in the laundry room and Kharma and Bimmer eat in the kitchen. I have the habit of leaving her out there to nap for 10 or 15 minutes after Kharma and Bimmer have finished so that there's no urgency for her to eat quickly. She's gradually learned to slow down a great deal that way.

aurorab

Also try feeding then a bit at a time or in 2-3 times a day. We had to do that w/ some of our reascues b/c they sometimes act like if they don't eat it now and fast it might get taken away or soemone else will get it. We would feed them alone and work up to 1-2 meals a day. They all seem to get better after a while. I don't know if it will work for you or not b/c the reason for eating so fast might be different, but on the other hand it's worth a try.

Another way to slow them down which a couple of different friends use for their dogs is to put either a tennis sized ball or rocks in the food dish - just make sure it is large enough that the dog won't mistakenly try to swallow it. They have to work to get the kibble around them and it tends to slow them down quite a bit. One gal with a lab always knows when she's late feeding her dog - Destiny very politely comes up to her & drops the ball at her feet! That's her way of telling her she's hungry! :)

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
I'll have to try that with mary..she inhales, swallows whole, looks desperately in her bowl for even one more bite..mom says no dog should be that hungry and i said she is still 5 lbs over weight..oh how she hates her diet.

Members online