pigs and dogs, live together?

gell914

well uhm its not like i'm really getting a pig but i was just thinking what if i'm getting a pig and a mini pinscher..do u think its possible for mini pinscher to hurt the pig cuz u know..dogs-are-predator-and-pigs-are-prey-thing ...

chell78

well id be more worried about the pig hurting the dog!! LOL Ive seen some nasty pigs. They can be vicious, If you do get one do what you would in any situation try and get a baby pig, and surpurvise any activity, Im sure you already knew that lol any way theres no reason why you cant get one.

nedim

I always thought pigs were gentle. Hasnt anyone seen on Animal Planet like when a mother wolf dies, her babies are nursed by a pig? Or even tigers sometimes.

Purr

~3 Mutts~
Pigs are very cool! They're actually like dogs, in a way. I've seen some pretty cool pigs, doing tricks and such. If you brought the baby pig up with the dog, they'd be fine together.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
i have seen all kinds of animals get along..as long as their leader teaches them compassion...i just can not wait to see pics of the two together! My guy Jim had a pet rat named Curly, that was the biggest pet rat i ever saw, one night while Bronki and i were on the floor watching tv, Curly up and decided to jump down from his tank, he had a board across the top he used as a deck..anyway he jumped down, walked across the floor and curled up against bronki's leg resting his little head on bronki's paw. Bronki just looked down like Oh My....and didn't move a muscle, bless him, he was such a gentle soul!

mrose_s

BusterLove
nedim said:
I always thought pigs were gentle. Hasnt anyone seen on Animal Planet like when a mother wolf dies, her babies are nursed by a pig? Or even tigers sometimes.
my mums friend had a very nice pet pig, suddenly it went vicous tho. it depends on the pig

I've heard of dogs and pigs living calmly together. Someday I'm going to have a potbelly pig and a miniature horse living inside with me (and my dogs).

Pigs can become very territorial. Molly (my pig years ago) got so everytime we had company she'd walk over to the visitor and swat them with her nose. That doesnt feel to good. She'd hit them then walk off to another room and lay down. She was letting them know this was her home. We had to find her another home because we had young children, plus their friends coming in and Molly had become to territorial. I worried about the children with her. We enjoyed her, really did. I still laugh when I think of her. I know that yes, if they are raised around a dog they should do just fine......They go into heat every 18 days which last for 3 days and if you didnt know what was going on you'd swear something seriously wrong was going on with the pig. I loved Molly and if ever I had a place in the country, I'd do it again!

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
When i took my son to the shelter to adopt a dog, there was a little pig i just fell in love with..we tried so hard to talk AAron into this pig..but he said (in his deep little boy voice) i ain't walkin no pig.....so of course i had to go home and draw a pig piece. We came home with Trudy..the dog that would not stop licking me..it got so bad i had to pull my sleeves down over my hands, and cover my face when i slept..nothing would discourage her so she went to live at my mom's..and is now a very very old woman. She licked me 24/7..it was driving me insane! She as been with mom for 14 years now.

gell914

wow i didnt know that much ppl has pigs..
this might be my first time to have a pig..

anyways i live in an apartment so if i buy a mini pig and a min pin at the same time do u think its gonna hard to potty train them?

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
i don't know how a pig would work in an apartment..i do know it is hard to keep their weight down, i only know one person that had one and that is what they told me.

Breeze is right. Their urine and feces is particularly, er, penetrating. They prefer to be clean and will use a litter box, but the box gets rank very quickly. Also, most of the pot bellied pigs out there now have been badly bred and don't stay very small.

Referring to your thread in the puppy forum, if you don't have time to take Frodo for walks more than three or four times a week, you really don't have time to deal with either another dog or a pig, let alone both of them together.

bubbatd

ECHO echo echo Renee ..........................................................to get rid of a dog in an apt. to replace with a pig and a min pin ......!!!

gell914

well i decided not to get rid of frodo because i just cant ignore that innocent face of his..aaaah!

i'll just get a pig and min pin someday like 20 or 30 yrs later ...lol

Members online

No members online now.