Members of the fluffy dog club... are they too warm under there?

AmberD

I always thought that their undercoat actually protects them from the heat too, and that it's worse to shave them... Am I wrong?
Undercoat protects them, but only healthy undercoat. This time of year, double coated dogs are blowing their coats - dead undercoat is being replaced by new undercoat. The problem comes when the dead coat just stays there, mingling with the new undercoat and the topcoat. I've heard people explain shaving their dogs by accusing "you wouldn't want to wear a fur coat outside right now, would you?" But the problem with a fur coat would be the coat part that prevents air from getting to the skin, not necessarily the fur itself. A thick, dead undercoat prevents air circulation and temperature regulation. Frequent undercoat raking is good. A good bath with conditioner paired with a velocity dryer is the best bet for getting the dead coat out.

If you're really concerned, you could shave his belly...

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
Maybe I'm being a paranoid momma but I feel like Merlin is too warm. Like just now he was in bed and panting... and he tends to mouth breathe A LOT (he is 100% healthy though)
do you guys think there's something I should be doing with his coat to keep him cool?

- Do you guys have a brushing routine? He gets bathed regularly... I have an undercoat rake and a zoom groom

- Grooming? (right now he just gets sanitary clips around his junk.)

- Indoor dog bed that is extra cool? He likes tile mostly and hardwood...but something maybe extra cool?

He has one of those kool collars

I really would hate to shave him as much as I joke about it...but I don't want him to be too hot this summer. Is it 100% certain his coat is keeping him cool? I just tend to anthropomorphize with him a bit and I see all that coat and I'm like AHHH ARENT YOU HOT
I know that Josefina is an ACD but she has incorrect coat and her cost is much like that of an Aussie. She stays outside during the day when we are home, she also has a large kiddie pool she can cool off in. If it gets too hot I will being them in for a break.

Members online