Canadian Eskimo Dogs?

Cali Mae

Little dog, big voice
I'm not sure if anyone has ever met one, or knows much about them, as I did read that they aren't too common... but it seems like a dog that might interest me in the future for the following reasons:

1) their appearance [they come in a variety of colours/markings, are a spitz-type, and are relatively large dogs]
2) their personality [brave, loyal, intelligent, alert, vocal, affectionate and energetic]
3) they bond strongly with their owner

Just wondering if anyone has any knowledge on them or can direct me to someone who does! Thanks!

Pops2

they're the "original" AKC eskimo dogs so any older books that predate the created toy/mini breed should be reasonably close to accurate.

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
I worked for an eskie breeder for a long time, nice dogs across the board really. Very smart, fun, and trainable. The are however loud and can be skittish and snarky in even the best breeding.

My boyfriend from Alaska was raised with then being called Alaskan Eskimo dogs but he thinks that was more of a political correctness than an argument of breed.

Cali Mae

Little dog, big voice
I definitely don't mind a vocal dog, and I did read that they could be more "skittish" and "aloof" with strangers... which I think is a trait that I'd prefer. Cali is over the top friendly with everyone she meets and it gets a little irritating after awhile when we're on a walk or training, and she sees someone and immediately loses focuses until they're out of sight.

Do you know of any good breeders that I could possibly e-mail for more insight on the breed? I'm guessing that Alaskan/American/Canadian Eskimo Dogs are all pretty similar.

ETA: I googled all three and it seems that the Alaskan and American Eskimos are a much smaller breed.

C.E.D.:

(so gorgeous!)

Alaskan:

And the American Eskimo showed up with the same pictures as Alaskan.

Cranberry

One of the posters on the other forum has one; I sent you a PM with her username. Keep in mind that CEDs are almost extinct and are rare even here! It can be difficult/expensive to get one.

Here's that poster's YouTube page with lots of videos of Dexter. He is a CED, but his ears are broken (they're not supposed to flop): http://www.youtube.com/user/z0o1o2p3i4e

Also, here's a link to a breeder I found; this page contains a nice little writeup on the breed. Maybe you could contact them for more info/links to other breeders: http://arcticicekennels.tripod.com/canadianeskimodogs.html

From that page:

Their exploits as sled dogs are well documented through history, and the breed mindset still reflects the of a tough, arctic sled dog. The breed is not suitable for permissive owners or static lifestyles. An Eskimo Dog is most content in a working environment or in a home where he will receive firm training and can have a consistent outlet for his boundless curiosity and energy.
They sound like a handful! :)

Also, as the owner of a dog who is skittish around strangers, I can tell you right now: You don't want that. It severely limits where you can take the dog, and you have to constantly watch them to make sure no one scares them into a nip. My dog is only 18 lbs, so he's easier to control and couldn't do quite as much damage if I did mess up, but a big dog like a CED could be a real liability if not managed perfectly. I enjoy an aloof dog, too, but there's a big difference between aloof and nervous. However, also according to that site:

The Canadian Eskimo Dog is extremely engaging in character, exuding a confident, friendly, intelligent though somewhat hyper nature.
:)

Last edited:

Cali Mae

Little dog, big voice
One of the posters on the other forum has one; I sent you a PM with her username. Keep in mind that CEDs are almost extinct and are rare even here! It can be difficult/expensive to get one.

Here's that poster's YouTube page with lots of videos of Dexter. He is a CED, but his ears are broken (they're not supposed to flop): http://www.youtube.com/user/z0o1o2p3i4e

Also, here's a link to a breeder I found; this page contains a nice little writeup on the breed. Maybe you could contact them for more info/links to other breeders: http://arcticicekennels.tripod.com/canadianeskimodogs.html

From that page:

They sound like a handful! :)

Also, as the owner of a dog who is skittish around strangers, I can tell you right now: You don't want that. It severely limits where you can take the dog, and you have to constantly watch them to make sure no one scares them into a nip. My dog is only 18 lbs, so he's easier to control and couldn't do quite as much damage if I did mess up, but a big dog like a CED could be a real liability if not managed perfectly. I enjoy an aloof dog, too, but there's a big difference between aloof and nervous. However, also according to that site:

:)
That'd definitely be a setback since I'd be interested in dog sports. However, would extensive socialization and lots of training classes and mental/physical stimulation somewhat cut back on the possibility of having a ridiculously skittish dog? I'm thinking that if I get one from solid bloodlines, who is socialized from day one... then hopefully, it'd be a little more tolerant and not as likely to snap. I don't mind a dog that occasionally barks at people, but biting would be a whole different story.

Cranberry

Well, according to that site (and Wikipedia), CEDs are known for being friendly and hyper, not aloof and skittish. I'm not sure I'd look to one for a sports dog -- if you were interested in mushing/urban mushing/whatever, then yes, but they're big, heavy dogs and they're bred to pull, not so much to do agility or whatever else. They don't really sound like what you want in general.

Cali Mae

Little dog, big voice
You definitely do have a point.. I'm really just trying to find a dog that could handle lots of physical activity, and is also appealing to the eye. :) Although, bikejoring and things like that definitely sound like fun.

Cali Mae

Little dog, big voice
I think it would be a breed that I'd be interested in. I'm really on developing a big list of maybes, because this won't be happening for a few years, at least. But, I have found a couple good breeders who both show and do things with their dogs. (one breeder does herding with her eskies)

Pops2

correct me if i'm wrong but don't true sled dogs like alaskan huskies, CEDs, greenland dogs etc have some of their vertebrae fused for a stiffer better pulling back? if so, wouldn't that affect agility in sports.

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
correct me if i'm wrong but don't true sled dogs like alaskan huskies, CEDs, greenland dogs etc have some of their vertebrae fused for a stiffer better pulling back? if so, wouldn't that affect agility in sports.
I'm not sure but Eskies were never sled dogs, they were created to be companion dogs. They make great little circus like training companions ime.

Michiyo-Fir

Hmm most of the not so well bred Eskies (american) I've met are aggressive or extremely fearful of strangers. Screaming, lunging, barking, growling. From what I've heard from these people, it seems pretty common in the breed.

I'm not sure about Canadian Eskies but shyness is a pretty big problem imo in American Eskies.

Members online