What type of dog fits my lifestyle?

Why not go to the local shelter and look at some medium to largeish black dogs, I've found no matter what the breed or mix if the dog is black people will make sure to stay out of that dogs way.
This is a great suggestion, and if you go with an adult you have a better idea of what you're getting into.

Also, if you're up for putting in some exercise time, an Aussie/Aussie mix could be a good dog for you to look at. They really are excellent watchdogs and most are willing to protect their homes/people if it comes right down to it.

This is a great suggestion, and if you go with an adult you have a better idea of what you're getting into.

Also, if you're up for putting in some exercise time, an Aussie/Aussie mix could be a good dog for you to look at. They really are excellent watchdogs and most are willing to protect their homes/people if it comes right down to it.
Agreed, Desoto would not hesitate to protect any member of our family. As a herder aussies are very vigilant, I have had him wake up from a dead sleep to growl out the window at a rabbit at 2am. They are a going to be higher energy than many of the other breeds suggested but they are not off of the charts energetic. Aussie mix's also show up in on petfinder with some regularity.

Halee.R

Aussie's might be kinda high energy for me. Last fall, I took care of my grandma's Aussie while she took a trip. I found it very hard to exercise her! I was always tired long before she was. She wanted to run nonstop. that's too much for me because I prefer long walks over jogs, running, etc.

I seem to have fallen in love with the Bernese Mountain Dog. Their size is exactly what I want, and I love their temperament. Would their bark and size alone deter stangers? I've been looking at BMD breeders and the breeders say they are protective of their home, but people who own this breed say they are "giant Golden Retrievers"

Who should i be listening to? The breeders, or people who've owned them?

I'd balance the two (breeders/owners) out. How an owner handles a dog makes a difference and what kind of temp a breeder breeds for does too. And then there's the fact that you have to factor in perspective and emotion.

Dogs bred for show usually have softer temps, while dogs bred by breeders who work their dogs will often be sharper. It's not a rule, but it is a factor often enough to consider.

I know of a wonderful black dane (probable dane mix) in rescue right now. Very sweet and easy going guy BUT is still intimidating because of his size and presence. He does bark to alert as well. He is around 9 or 10 months old right now.

Day I brought him down

Regardless of what you go with, I would work now on reading up on training and behavior and definitely get involved in some classes when you get your dog:)

Members online