Picking up a large dog?

Back40

What is the proper technique for picking up a 70+lbs unijured dog? One arm under the chest just behind the front legs and the other arm under the abdoman just in front of the rear legs or arm behind the rear legs supporting the rump? Thanks!

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
I do a basket hold around the legs, one arm embracing the chest, the other under the hinny behind the back legs. THis is the best way for me to do it and is gentle and keeps them from struggling lifting from the knees using the strength of my arms and not my back.

ACooper

I guess it would depend on where the dog is injured.

In general, I pick up a larger dog the same way smkie described.........around the chest and in back of the hiney, but if that would affect the injured area you would have to rearrange to suit.

bubbatd

Gee .... I do it anyway I can that doesn't hurt them ! Females I did in front of back legs ... males the rump . ( watch those family jewels in either case ! ) Right arm behind front arms . Helping oldsters into a car means placing front legs in and a rump lift from lower hip . Now ask me in 10 yrs if Ollie and I are still around !! An 85 yr old lifting a 100# 13 yr old pup !

DanL

I'm trying imagine how I'd pick Daisy up. One hand behind her front legs and one hand on the rump is not exactly a position of good leverage to move her weight!

I always lift Sophie (almost 80 lbs.) off of the grooming table the way that Smkie explained. I'm always worried about abdominal pressure with her being so deep chested. So in front of the front legs and under the rump.:)

mrose_s

BusterLove
I just went out and practiced on Sophie, she had pretty regular vet visits now but can't get herself into the back of the car anymore so we lift.
I don't do the basket hold, she's 36kg but quiet light for her size (was well over 42kg when she was younger)
To lift her in I put her front legs up then lift in her back end.

To get her out I hold her in front of her front legs, she has a big chest so the pressure isn't really on her neck and my other hand goes in front of her back legs.
She's quiet top heavy so lifting her in the basket way probbly wouldn't work aswell, her front end is huge compared to her back end and it would over balance her.
And when I put her down, she relaly needs to land on all 4 feet to keep herself up, If I bent her legs up she'd stumble around trying to get her footing everytime.

Buster I pick up using the basket method though, he's only 21kg and still fit and helhty though.

ACooper

Like this!
A picture is like a thousand words..
Yep, that is what it looks like but I never look quite as happy doing it as that man! hahaha And depending on the injured area that might not work.

HoundedByHounds

Oh, it's *you*
haha@ that pic...with a Leo that is LONGER than they are tall? You better have arms as wide as Javon Kearse! If I did that to Cleo she'd have a huge camel hump in her back from me accordioning her LOL.

ETA: Op said "uninjured" meaning...well, not injured ;)

HoundedByHounds

Oh, it's *you*
Oh...we don't pick up Giant breed dogs...hernia is bad mmkay, lol? You train the dog to put it's front onto a surface then lift the rear...this is the easiest way.

If Cleo were injured and down I would drag her on a blanket where I needed her to be or team lift her on said blanket.

One of the things you learn quick with a dog destined to be 100lbs+ is that you cannot outmuscle them...so you have to be creative with making them do what you want on their own. :)

Cleo is not to the point where she will UP for me consistenly but she will ALWAYS allow me to lift the front...then the back to put her in the car, say...in fact she often stands at the tailgate and gives me the look "Well...lift me up...DUH" :rofl1:

ACooper

ACK! I totally thought it was injured............I read it this morning, and again this evening and STILL saw it as injured :confused:

All righty! I kept waiting for barb to come back and tell us what was going on and which baby was injured!

*PHEW*

puppydog

Tru evil has no pantyline
Well, I usually buy them and drink and ask if they come here often.

LOL!

ACooper

So you really REALLY don't want me to tell you that the OP's username does not say:
"Barb04" right?...*runs off and hides*
All right.......now you are just poking the bear :rofl1:

You are lucky you have Cleo to protect you, otherwise..............:lol-sign:

Members online

No members online now.