Main Coon acting strange

Irish

The cat I'm referring to (Eddie) is not mine. He actually lives at the kennel where I work. My boss got him a year ago as a young kitten. He has grown into a gorgeous, friendly cat. He is used to dogs, other cats and lots of people coming in and out of the kennel. But lately, he's been acting strange. The other day one of my co-workers picked him up and he clawed her pretty good and took off running. He has never done this before. Also, today he was in his cage and a lady came in and went to pet him through the cage and he leaped to other side with a very mad growl. My boss is good about taking him to the vet, but she has been going through a major personal crisis lately, so I thought I'd ask you guys about it. Any ideas what could be wrong with Eddie?

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
The only thing I could think of would be that someone did something to the cat when no one was watching. Maybe someone scared the cat and now it's wary of people.

I hope the cat is ok.

It's entirely possible that he's reacting to your boss' personal upheavals. Cats are hyper-sensitive to their surroundings and the emotional energies around them.

BabyBlue's scenario is also entirely possible!

A trip to the vet would be a good idea. If there's nothing organically wrong, try giving him some of the universal cure for cats - a nice pile of catnip!

Irish

Thanks Babyblue and Rene,
Both of your ideas are very good, I wasn't even thinking in that area. Eddie is a very BIG cat and I'd hate to see him turn mean :eek: He'd be scary! I will let you know how he does.

Seems like a friendly cat would only be angry at the person who hurt it . Wonder if it hasnt been feeling feel and picking the cat up was hurting it. We took in a stray many years ago and my oldest tried to scare me with a halloween mask. Only one who got scared was this cat and he never forgave her. If she went near him he would growl at her. Anyone else he was fine with. Even my buddy when I accidently shut his tail in a window, as mad as he was at me he never stopped loving me....he just pooped on furniture to get even.

Also music is something a cat loves. Ours loved sitting on top of the piano when anyone played or jump up on the bench to sleep while someone played. My Buddy would walk on the keys as if he was trying to play, or he'd walk on the keys when I played. I use to brag on how pretty his music was. But anyway, I think I'd get the cat checked out by a vet. It could be something is going on inside, he might be sick. He might have a kidney problem or something.

Barb04

Super Moderator
I have 2 maine coons and all I can think of is someone scared the cat. They have a mind of their own like my anatolian and will be affectionate when they want to. Maybe a trip to the vet is in order to make sure nothing is physically wrong. Keep us posted.

Members online

No members online now.