I need some help with ideas...

Bex

I am a colplete dog lover. I spend all my free time volunteering because i love them so much. But my father is allergic. My parents rly like dogs aswell. I was trying to figure out a way to still have a dog....but im stuck. My parents are not even willing to try a hypoallergenic dog because they really don't know how bad my dad would be. I was trying to think if there was any place I could keep a dog for most of the time. Even though I could be there all the time. You know, like no one else would have to touch him but he could stay there...I dont know, im rly stuck...this is a bit of a last resort. If anyone has any ideas I would love to hear them. Thank you.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
i too am very allergic to dogs after spending most of my working life in kennels. I have two dogs, one a english pointer and the other a pointer labrador mix. I bathe them every other day. They do not have long hair to make it difficult, no harder then washing children. They do not bother my allergies that way. I could not live happily without them.

Has your dad been to an allergist or even your family doctor? There are lots of drugs out there that can pretty much eliminate allergy symptoms. Many of them just requre one pill every 24 hours. They've mad my life much easier. :)

Fran27

I'm allergic to cats and dogs and I got two of each, but I can understand that if people are not too fond of pets in the first place it's hard. How old are you? Worst case you can have your own dog after college.

Bex

My parents really do like animals. But my father isnt only alleric to dogs he has asthma. So even if it did look like it was looking good he could have an asthma attack. I am 13 and very very good with dogs, I volunteer at a shelter atleast once a week and work with SaveaDog. I don't know what else to do...

My brother has asthma and when he used to live here he wasn't affected by OC at all because Sibes only shed 1-2 times a year. Granted during that time his asthma got worse ut then OC would just spend a little more time outside than usual which he didn't mind at all. Now that my brother's moved out everyone is happy all year round LOL

RD

Are you dead yet?
Bex, good for you for getting involved with dogs and volunteering. :)

I'm mildly allergic to dogs and cats, but I have two of each. If my allergies act up I just take benadryl, I don't even need a Rx for it. But like Mindy said, it'd be worth a trip to the doctor to see if there is anything that could help with the allergies?

And for the record, I don't agree with locking a dog up like that.

Bex

By what i said, i absolutely don't mean lock the dog away. I mean while im at school...a place not in my house...

Well depending on the breed, depending on where you live, and depending on your level of commitment you could always build an outdoor kennel...I warn you though they are not cheap if you're going to make it complete suitable living conditions. I could give you a virtual tour of OC's kennel if you'd like to see what I mean.

Members online