Rehab vet adjustment

MandyPug

Sport Model Pug
Izzie got her first rehab vet assessment today, not because anything was wrong but because it was available. She's 4 and has never been seen before but despite running into stuff and being bowled over by other dogs there wasn't much wrong. The biggest thing was that in 2 points of her spine there needed to be some adjustments because of hyper extension in the spine due to handstand work. So we're not supposed to do that anymore. Bummer. Oh well though, I'm glad she's looking good and feeling good too =)

JacksonsMom

Interesting! I did always wonder how great it could be for a dogs back to do that trick... but that's good everything else seems to be a-ok. :)

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
Interesting! I did always wonder how great it could be for a dogs back to do that trick... but that's good everything else seems to be a-ok. :)
I always think it would be bad for the dogs but I've had a fair number argue against it.

Thus far my dogs stepping back and up is all I want, I'm afraid to put too much pressure on the spine/shoulders.

I'd be interested if it's a negative from vets like this for all dogs or just Miss Izzy...

JessLough

Love My Mutt
I always think it would be bad for the dogs but I've had a fair number argue against it.

Thus far my dogs stepping back and up is all I want, I'm afraid to put too much pressure on the spine/shoulders.

I'd be interested if it's a negative from vets like this for all dogs or just Miss Izzy...
I imagine a big part of it is the shape of a dog. A pug is much differently shaped than a malinois..

elegy

overdogged
That's interesting. The agility PT guy was chiropractic-y and the only part of Steve that was out of alignment was his pelvis, which he adjusted. I wish I'd thought to ask about handstands, because yes, they do put stress on a dog's spine, but I wonder if they're bad for a dog with my dog's body.

I always feel better after having Steve checked over during his non-injury times. Just to make sure there isn't anything I don't know about that's bugging him. And he likes his ladies and turns into a puddle of goo when they work on him.

MandyPug

Sport Model Pug
I imagine a big part of it is the shape of a dog. A pug is much differently shaped than a malinois..
When you think about it though, the ideal body type would be one like Izzie's. Heavier in the front than the rear so they don't have to extend their back as far to get that upright balance.

MandyPug

Sport Model Pug
That's interesting. The agility PT guy was chiropractic-y and the only part of Steve that was out of alignment was his pelvis, which he adjusted. I wish I'd thought to ask about handstands, because yes, they do put stress on a dog's spine, but I wonder if they're bad for a dog with my dog's body.

I always feel better after having Steve checked over during his non-injury times. Just to make sure there isn't anything I don't know about that's bugging him. And he likes his ladies and turns into a puddle of goo when they work on him.
Since it's not a trick I care deeply about, I'm fine giving up handstands for the most part. She only had 3-4 small manipulations in her appointment.

I felt good after getting her checked. Nothing ever stood out as wrong but it was a piece of mind thing especially since she was there anyway. Got her a quick once over today too after she knocked a bar (she never knocks bars) and seems the bar was just a fluke toenail tipping it as she was in alignment perfectly. We'll probably go for checks and adjustments every couple months now, the club is going to try and bring her down to our city for some sessions too :)

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
When you think about it though, the ideal body type would be one like Izzie's. Heavier in the front than the rear so they don't have to extend their back as far to get that upright balance.
Exactly... I'm good without the risk, we take enough risks else-wise.

I'm glad super pug is back on track!

Members online

No members online now.