Animal Abuse Registry

CaliTerp07

We have an unofficial one amongst all the rescues in the mid-atlantic. When any of the groups run across a problem, there's a listserve that the information is sent out to, and a database the adopter's info is held in.

It's not just abuse though--it's also reselling, hoarding, having 5 dogs run over by cars in 2 years, etc.

I like the idea of an official thing. It will be just one more tool to use.

milos_mommy

If it's unofficial...then it's probably much easier for people to not register for it.

They are also trying to pass a law saying all pet stores have to check the registry for anyone they sell an animal to.

CaliTerp07

If it's unofficial...then it's probably much easier for people to not register for it.

They are also trying to pass a law saying all pet stores have to check the registry for anyone they sell an animal to.
No one registers for it...when I do a home visit for someone and see disgustingly mistreated animals, or the potential adopter tells me they've lost 3 animals in the past 6 months to completely avoidable "accidents", or our vet reference tells us that they asked to have a perfectly healthy animal put down because they were moving, I email out all the other rescues relaying the information and telling them to avoid the person.

ravennr

ಥ⌣ಥ
I love the idea, as long as it isn't abused. It would really depend on the person, for me. Their circumstances. I have met someone convicted of animal abuse, but they were innocent. Aside from this little issue, I do love this idea.

Though I agree with the last comment, that making a new registry is more costly than just building it, and other registries, into one. Have a way that shelters, sellers, etc can access it apart from others, so they can weed out the animal abusers to find them.

I wonder how it will go. Hopefully someone keeps up with it.

maybe a good idea, but in the end, I don't see it doing much at all. Who's to stop them from buying from a walmart parking lot, stealing animals, buying them out of the newspaper, off the interenet or having a "friend" buy the animals for them.

and what good would "making" pet stores do a check for? They're the criminals, they're already supposed to be selling only healthy animals and we know how that works.

The good thing about it is that this issue is being talked about. From discussions like this, a lot of change can be made -- one person at a time. And save one dog at a time. Hope it works or if not, something better will come out of it.

Members online

No members online now.