Lifting leg?

I live in an apartment and I have a 5 month old Siberian Husky and I was wondering when they start to lift their leg. Our backyard is big and open and there isn't very much for him to lift his leg. He doesn't really want to mark his territory but he does smell where a dog has relieved themself. I was just wonder when a dog usually lifts his leg. :D

It varies from one dog to another. They will, eventually, whether they've been neutered or not. My Bimmer was doing it from the time he was 4 1/2 months old; my first German Shepherd was about the same, but our Australian Shepherd didn't start until he was about 6 months old. I wouldn't worry too much, though, as long as he doesn't want to do it inside!

phyl

Lifting leg

We thought Corgan my Husky was a little confused with his sex....he did not lift his leg to pee until he was over a year Phyl

badkitty

leg lifting

I have a chinese shar pei and he was 9 months old i thought he would never start to lift his leg he turned a year old in feb and he still squats occacionally guess its a dogs world he will hike when he is ready a'Ronda :)

Brattina88

Sometimes a male dog will see no need to do this unless they see another male doing it.

I got my male dog neutered at 6 months of age & I never thought he would lift his leg...He didn't start lifting it until he was about a year old or more

ruth27

So you mean even if there are no females around, they will instinctively lift their leg and mark territory? I live in a condo unit so I know i'll be finding his lifting leg thing a prob soon. I have two males and theyre still so young but my question is, do they all go through this even without a female in sight? Also, I was wondering why some were worried that their males didnt lift their legs? Does it indicate soemthing if they dont lift their legs? thanks! :)

dee_9125

My lab hardly ever lifted his leg, he used to lean forward and pee, he must have only done it max 20 times in his whole life.

ruth27 said:
So you mean even if there are no females around, they will instinctively lift their leg and mark territory? I live in a condo unit so I know i'll be finding his lifting leg thing a prob soon. I have two males and theyre still so young but my question is, do they all go through this even without a female in sight? Also, I was wondering why some were worried that their males didnt lift their legs? Does it indicate soemthing if they dont lift their legs? thanks! :)
Yep, Ruth, they will do the doggie ballet even if there are no females around. It's just a guy-dog thing.

As far as I know, though, it's not a big deal if they are very late doing it, or rarely do it; it's just a behavior. Oddly enough, though, I've observed that small dogs seem to be more aggressive markers than a lot of the large breeds.

Sorgoth

My dog only started once he was well over a year old, and still doesn't lift his leg unless it's at a good spot (Fire hydrant, particularly spelly telephone pole...)

Members online

No members online now.