Shiloh Shepherds???

Are they actually a breed? They are only recognized by the NKC (National Kennel Club) and as I am pretty "breed club" ignorant, just from glancing at their website they don't look too official. They are also "under construction", according to the breed club website, .. and they are quite a young breed.

??

Last edited:
Also, just wondering if anyone can help me indentify this dogs' breed(s)

Aint she goorgeous? My friend in calgary is thinking about adopting her..
Sorry for the blurry photo, though. I upsized it a bit to make it easier to tell.
Thanks,
The breed nub. ;)

Last edited:

mrose_s

BusterLove
i'd say that pup looks cattledog/terrier to me. maybe foxy because of the nose. gorgeous

but i havn't heard about shiloh shephards sorry

FoxyWench

Salty Sea Dog
i dont knwo much about them but what i do know is

shilos are one of those many that got attacked by the bigger is better fad.

essentially they bred shepards (and whatever into them) to gain an ungodly and unstandard size for their shepards. along with this comes a larger potential for health problems, hip, knee and elbows would be my biggest concern.

there along the same lines as the "warlock dobes"

personally as pretty as they are, id steer clear.

as for the dog in the picture, i met a dog that looked kinda like that, it was a shepard acd mix. i cant tell you thats a definate but thats what the one i met was, same facial patterning and face shape.

Barb04

Super Moderator
Lost $ to breed founders because there was no refund after being told my many, many legitimate breeders that it was a puppy mill. Be very careful if you ever decide on this breed.

I''m not sure what I think of Shilohs...It was a good idea in theory but the way it was executed was a bit sketchy...I ahve a friend who used to own one and he was magnificent but at the same time my buddy told me he would never get another one.

To me the dog looks like a Shepherd/ACD mix

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Agree on OC's guess about the pictured dog.

I think we had a Shiloh Shepherd breeder on here not too long ago; there's huge dissention within the breed, because the "founder" sucks at what she does, but others have managed to cobble together a decent program. Essentially, they're large GSD's supposedly mixed with wolf...take what you want from that.

Oh, I am not thinking of getting a Shiloh. I am just curious.

Thanks for all the replies.

what might I ask was the "good idea" behind a shilo shepherd?
Someone correct me if I am wrong but I *believe* the original intent was to recreate the German Shepherd while improving it. So basically making a Shepherd with a straight back again but more size without losing agility or stamina.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears

Sorry for the blurry photo, though. I upsized it a bit to make it easier to tell.
Thanks,
The breed nub. ;)
You know who that dog reminds me of is Walker really... actually he reminds me of him A LOT.

W

whatszmatter

Someone correct me if I am wrong but I *believe* the original intent was to recreate the German Shepherd while improving it. So basically making a Shepherd with a straight back again but more size without losing agility or stamina.
Working line GSD's are still around, but regardless what they ended up creating was a large dog with no real working abilities to speak of.

So they're sort of a dog created for companionship much like most of the toy breeds but large?

I don't get why people have this idea in their head to 'create' a new breed in the first place, since there is so many breeds to choose from anyways.. and if you don't like any of them, .. adopt a mutt from a shelter.

Working line GSD's are still around, but regardless what they ended up creating was a large dog with no real working abilities to speak of.
Right but from my understandings she wanted a bigger dog that was more of an independent thinker that brought more to the plate...Like I said it was a good idea in theory she just didnt execute it very well at all and was the wrong breeder for the job.

I have no problem with people mixing breeds (whether or not they have the intent of creating a new breed) so long as they have a good reason for the mix. For example, mixing a Pit with a Catahoula for a better catch dog, a Siberian Husky with a German Shorthaired Pointer for a faster sled dog, a Pit Bull with a Greyhound for a faster catch dog, a Bull Terrier with a Pit Bull for a catch dog with more drive and a better bite, an English Bulldog with a (was it American Bulldog????) to try to recreate what the English Bulldog used to be...the list goes on. You can never know if a cross will work until you try it and sometimes the mix is better than the purebred that was originally created for the job.

Jynx

I was a member of the shiloh club oh,,probably 15 years ago when I was looking into the breed. (i've always had gsd's).

Otch is right, their "writings" were great in theory but what was /is actually going on sucks.

The founder proclaims their mission was to breed the "old style/original GSD'.
Well if "Max" the founder ever saw gsd's of today (shilohs as well) he'd flip over in his grave because Shilohs certainly were not his idea of the "original" breed.

Anyhow, she bred bigger to bigger, long coat, I've heard their Mal thrown in for size as well, she has imported a couple GSD's to diversify blood..

In the end, I've met quite a few very very disgruntled clients of Shilohs.
Of the Shiloh's I have met, I've liked two, most have very skitzy /shy temperaments, hip /elbow probs,,(check ofa database and see how many have passed),,and other health probs..I guess what I dislike most, is the temperaments, to soft, far and few in between that could "work"..

Lovely to look at, but the whole package is missing alot. Just my opinion
(Oh there is an offshoot club of the original that IS trying to straighten out the mess , I give them credit, but they have a small gene pool to work from.
Now the KING shepherd is also an offshoot of the Shiloh's)
Diane

ravennr

ಥ⌣ಥ
Steer clear of Shiloh and King Shepherds. Both creators are under the impression that they are the 'original' version of the German Shepherd Dog. In reality, they created yet another health ridden, overgrown glamour breed that might have a 'solid' breeding program, but is far off from what is intended.

PixieSticksandTricks

Athletic Labs. They Exist

Thanks,
The breed nub. ;)
Looks like an Anatolian/Cattle Dog to me.

I don't know too much about Shilohs though my uncle owns two. Lol yeah im bad. But I always assumed they were a seperate breed from German Shepherds.
http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/shilohshepherd.htm

Members online