Ferret help, I have inherited a ferret...

Well, we have had her since she was 12 weeks old. December 23, 2006. And, I need to know what she will need, she is supposed to be my step-dad's and he is not taking care of her, so I have too. :rolleyes: I have refused to take care of her. And now, it is getting ridiculous, I have found out Alcholics, and potheads don't like to do anything but drugs, so, I have to take care of her. So, I have to clean her cage today, and the cage cleaner is gone!!! Is Lysol ok to use on the bottom of the cage? Is there a website that I could use for references? I know am overloaded with animals. 4 cats, a dog, and now a ferret. Oh well, gives me something to do, I guess. I guess now she is my ferret, just like everything else is. Shes supposed to be, a "family pet" Now she is "mine" But any ferret forums/anything that can help me with her, will be great! :) Thank you for reading! (I have been taking care of her, so no worries)

~Tucker&Me~

Props to you! I hate having to clean up after other people...

Good luck! That ferret is lucky to have someone like you around!

~Tucker

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
Don't use Lysol. For our ferrets I use just regular dish soap and I wash it really well. Is the ferret litter box trained? Maybe try putting a litter box in the corner of the cage and tying it down so it can't push it away and use the corner. My ferrets weren't litter trained but now that I have the box tied to the side of the cage and they can't move it they will go in the litter box and then I just clean that out. Don't use regular kitty litter they have special litter to use in the litter box for ferrets. Yesterdays news is good to use in the box though.

I don't know of any forums but I do have experience from taking care of my ferrets. My stepson wanted them and his mom said no so I had him help me care for my animals for a long time to prove he was responsible enough for a pet and I told him he'd be responsible for the ferrets when he was here but I would care for them when he was at his moms. Well after months of helping me with all the other animals I finally got him his ferrets and guess what the next day after getting them he was bored because they were biting him so I take care of them all the time now.

Also what do you feed them? There is special ferret kibble that is sold but that stuff is really expensive and mine seem to like cat food better. Also has it been to the vets? They do require shots and need to go to the vets for shots and check ups.

We have her on ferret food, not sure what is called. But, she is up to date on shots, and needs some more. She needs to go to the vet. And she bit for a while. But now she doesn't now. She likes cat food, but I don't give it to her. She is getting very light in color. But we are going to take her to the vet, whenever we get the money to do so. Hopefully soon. But, we did have some cage cleaner stuff for her, and it disappeared yesterday.. I don't know where to though. It is safe for small animal cage cleaning.

Kathy29

I don't have direct experience with ferrets, but I do have a bunny. I use a mixture of vinegar/water (50/50) and wipe the cage down. Once in a while when I feel it needs some more cleaning, I use dish soap but like juliefurry said, just rinse it really well.

I personally wouldn't use any of the household cleaners -- just never can be too sure that they're safe if licked.

Members online