I Won't Hire People Who Use Poor Grammar. Here's Why.

Xandra

I'll admit I'm bad when it comes to spelling and grammer (jk... GRAMMAR)

Sometimes I'll knowingly use poor English on a forum because I don't want to sound too formal (e.g. I will say "me and my dad" instead of "my dad and I"). That said... I think my spelling especially has gone downhill lol I attribute this to not reading novels anymore...

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
THe older I get, the more I have a hard time remembering things that I use to take for granted like lay or lie, so I have to come up with creative ways around it. I use to know, I really did. Now like numbers things like that drift. I could draw a human or a dog laying down and think my way through all of the bones and how they would be positioned to look right, but which word is the right one to use in a sentence, not happening, so I end up saying something like prone or rest. IT's true, you don't think it will happen to you, but it comes for us all eventually. Maybe it's pre Alzheimer or too many head injuries and I shouldn't be hired or maybe someone would see past that and think that knowing how to draw it was more valuable than choosing one or another word correctly.

ACooper

I like good spelling and grammar. Honestly though, it bothers me waaaaaaay more when I see snotty people correcting someone's mistake or making fun of them. Seriously? Unless you are their teacher, or there is a legitimate reason you need to speak up, or perhaps they ask, it's obnoxious. In my mind, that is just another form of bullying *shrugs*

I always LOVE it when an asshat corrects someone while making a grammar mistake of their own, LOL Right here on chaz I've seen people say "Learn some grammer" :rofl1:

I know my homophones, but sometimes typing along I'll type the wrong one. I don't have spell check on this browser, I've won spelling bees but I still sometimes make a mistake. *shrugs* Life goes on. At work I felt differently, I was getting paid to make sure everything was in order, so I did.

I will say I agree with the article. When going through applications or deciding on job candidates, you must have a filter....that one is just as good as any.

Doberluv

There are some mistakes in grammar that drive me batty. And there are some that I am not sure about too. I need to take some time and nail some of those things down, just so I don't drive myself battier than I already am. I am also not the world's best speller. When I write something important, I'll take the time generally, to try to make it the best I can, of course. But on emails or posts on Chaz, I definitely just knock 'em out without much care. I take a very informal approach and don't worry much about it. These things are done in a hurry usually and it's just not important, as long as they're done well enough that they're not hard to read. LOL. I'll leave out quotation marks because I'm too lazy to stick them in and hope someone knows that it means someone said that. lol. Some mistakes might be things that I do know better, but goofed on because I wasn't thinking. I know the difference between to, too, and two. But I noticed once that I wrote to when it should have been too. The same is true with their, there, and they're. :p It's so true when someone puts no punctuation, no spaces between paragraphs, or it's terribly misspelled, it can make the difference between understanding what was meant and making it readable even.

But I do agree with the author for the most part...most jobs. However, if someone is looking for a job as a cowboy or ranch hand, I doubt if impeccable grammar is going to make the person better at breaking horses or rounding up cattle. lol. But like Coop said, it is a filter and something to weed out applicants. But for many, many jobs, grammar is an indication of other things that may affect the job indirectly or directly.

Snark

Mutts to you
Yeah, we have a salesperson at work who cannot write a coherent set of instructions. She really does try to be specific as to what she wants, but words are misspelled enough that one is left guessing what the word is supposed to be, sentences are fragmented or just make no sense, so anyone receiving one of her orders has to call her to have her explain her instructions. It does get frustrating.

I like good spelling and grammar. Honestly though, it bothers me waaaaaaay more when I see snotty people correcting someone's mistake or making fun of them. Seriously? Unless you are their teacher, or there is a legitimate reason you need to speak up, or perhaps they ask, it's obnoxious. In my mind, that is just another form of bullying *shrugs*

I always LOVE it when an asshat corrects someone while making a grammar mistake of their own, LOL Right here on chaz I've seen people say "Learn some grammer" :rofl1:

I know my homophones, but sometimes typing along I'll type the wrong one. I don't have spell check on this browser, I've won spelling bees but I still sometimes make a mistake. *shrugs* Life goes on. At work I felt differently, I was getting paid to make sure everything was in order, so I did.

I will say I agree with the article. When going through applications or deciding on job candidates, you must have a filter....that one is just as good as any.
This.

Now . . . I sometimes tease Coop about her homophones because I know they bug her :p

Barbara!

I agree with this.

Also, I feel like if the job doesn't require grammar skills, then I shouldn't be too hard on them. For example: If they use the wrong "your" or "you're" sometimes, that's not going to make me think they shouldn't have the job... Now if they type like "ey boi I be gewd at dis job" well then.... Yeah. Lol.

sillysally

Obey the Toad.
The incorrect use of "seen" bugs me--as in, "I seen the dog get out." No, you SAW the dog get out. People do that ALL THE TIME around here. Then there is "alot" and "a lot." I've had people argue with me that "alot" is the correct term a few times.

I don't expect people to be perfect at work, especially since I don't work in a job that requires good grammar and spelling. Also, I'm a pretty bad speller and have to constantly keep an eye on myself, so I try to cut others slack.

Danefied

The incorrect use of "seen" bugs me--as in, "I seen the dog get out." No, you SAW the dog get out. People do that ALL THE TIME around here.
Mine is “broke†and “wroteâ€.
“We have to ride in this car, that one is broke.†No, the truck is “brokenâ€.
“I got wrote up at work.†No, you got “written†up.

But then I am amazingly good at screwing up it’s and its, but at least when I speak, you can’t tell I don’t know my it’s from my its :D

~Tucker&Me~

No one is perfect and the occasional misspelling or mistake or awkward sentence is totally understandable and not a big deal (in terms of forums, I'm not talking about work). It's the people that talk like this:

i know hwo to spell i just cant be bothered to do it properly lol. this is so annoying to reaad especially when it goes on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and with no paragraphs or anything lol who needs paragraphs those ar stupid lol...... but ya no i never use pargraphs and its cool cus i like to hurt ppls eyes!!

Yeah, that's my big pet peeve :p

sillysally

Obey the Toad.
There was a forum I used to frequent where one poster uses no capitalization and no punctuation other than "..."

so every post was like this...she never used paragraphs either...i finally stopped reading her posts altogether...it was so annoying just reading it ticked me off...it annoys me just writing like this...

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
Disclaimer:

I am often posting from my phone so if you see a lot of words that should be spelled correctly but have odd little mistakes in them it is because I don't see that I have mistyped it. I am staring at my little keypad and focused on hitting the right keys with my fat fingers lol

I often go back te next day and read a post I made and am like OMG really? Lol

Members online

No members online now.