Venison/quail

Zoom

Twin 2.0
How good are these for dogs? I'm starting to learn how to hunt with a friend of mine and we're going out for quail tomorrow and deer when the season opens. I've never eaten them myself and so will probably feed anything I get to Sawyer and Aubrey. I'd like to start feeding them more and more of a Raw diet anyway and I figured I'm (maybe) going to have a hefty supply of venison in a few months and a few brace of quail.

Also, how would I adjust the dry kibble amounts? Sawyer is 51 pounds and Aubrey is right at 40, though she needs to lose another 2-3 pounds to be at optimum weight.

M

Manchesters

Huh-huh

Zoom said:
How good are these for dogs? I'm starting to learn how to hunt with a friend of mine and we're going out for quail tomorrow and deer when the season opens. I've never eaten them myself and so will probably feed anything I get to Sawyer and Aubrey. I'd like to start feeding them more and more of a Raw diet anyway and I figured I'm (maybe) going to have a hefty supply of venison in a few months and a few brace of quail.

Also, how would I adjust the dry kibble amounts? Sawyer is 51 pounds and Aubrey is right at 40, though she needs to lose another 2-3 pounds to be at optimum weight.
Wild animals are full of parasites......not just stomach, but embeded in muscle and meat. And then there are flukes, as well as several forms of very nasty tapeworms. Most tapeworms are encysted, and I am not sure how high a temp it would take to kill them. Here is a link to a great site about all kinds of dog health issues.

http://www.belfield.com/home.html He has a section on feeding raw meat also. Very Interesting!!!

Mordy

Quigleyfied
both are great additions to a dog's diet, if you keep a few safety precautions in mind. one thing that is important is to freeze game meats at a minimum of 5 degrees F or below. cut the meat to a maximum of 6 inches thick or less and freeze for a month.

also make sure you check game birds thoroughly for lead shot, or you risk lead poisoning.

as much as i like dr. belfield and his work, as a person who is involved with the pet food industry, i don't think his information on feeding raw meat is quite unbiased. :)

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Should I still freeze it if it's been sitting in the fridge for over 24 hours? It's sealed in a plastic baggy, but a bunch of the juices have collected at the bottom. Or should I just chuck it and try better next time?

Mordy

Quigleyfied
you can still freeze it, but i'd recommend rinsing it and tossing the bags with whatever juices have accumulated.

M

Manchesters

Huh???

Mordy said:
both are great additions to a dog's diet, if you keep a few safety precautions in mind. one thing that is important is to freeze game meats at a minimum of 5 degrees F or below. cut the meat to a maximum of 6 inches thick or less and freeze for a month.

also make sure you check game birds thoroughly for lead shot, or you risk lead poisoning.

as much as i like dr. belfield and his work, as a person who is involved with the pet food industry, i don't think his information on feeding raw meat is quite unbiased. :)
All he says is to cook the meat rather than feed raw to kill all the crap that it is exposed to. Same as they tell us. Dogs DO get e coli.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Oh, and the birds were pen-raised game preserve birds, if that makes any sort of difference. I'll still probably boil the meat before giving it to them, so there's some juice to pour over the kibble.

Mordy

Quigleyfied
as long as you look out for the lead, you should be fine.

of course you can cook all the meat if you want, but the dog would get more out of it nutritionally if you fed the entire carcass, bones and all. :)

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Well, all I've got is the breast meat, but the bones and some feather casings are all still in...I guess I've got a month to plan this!

Members online