Canned food recommendations?

ZlatasPop

I finally was able to get a hold of Innova food. I bought a bag of puppy food today for her. I was wondering what canned food should I buy? Is Nutra any good? or Natural Choice? Can I keep her on dry food only? Sorry I'm new at this.

Saje

Island dweller
It's quite possible to feed dry only. I don't buy canned food at all. Innova EVO is the best out there but there are other quality brands. Nutro is not one. Eagle Pack is another good one. I'm not sure of what you might have in your area. Mordy will help you more. Or you could visit her site. www.mordanna.com/dogfood

Mordy

Quigleyfied
generally all the companies that make good dry food make good canned food as well.

when it comes to the "middle of the road" foods, the canned is often of better quality than the dry, so while i wouldn't recommend nutro natural choice dry food for example, the canned is pretty decent. as far as ingredients go, it follows the same principle as dry food - look for meat as the first thing listed and whole ingredients rather than byproducts and fragments.

while dry food is preferred by most people because it's less expensive and not as messy to handle, canned food is actually the healthier choice, since it resembles more what dogs evolved to eat - high moisture content and little need to chew (dogs are gulpers by nature, their teeth are made foro ripping, crushing and tearing rather than chewing).

personally i wouldn't feed a dog strictly on dry food with nothing else added. even with the best of foods, it's still very much like a person living on frozen, canned and packaged food alone.

candy722

I feed Toki can food. I have at least try every single brand there is and I love the Innova canned food.

Saje

Island dweller
So, Mordy, do you recommend wetting dry dog food? I do that a lot. They seem to like it better.

Fran27

Well lots of dry foods say on the package that you should humidify it first. The only reason I don't do it is that if they don't finish it, it doesn't keep :(

We feed ours Merrick turducken dry and canned. I just add enough of the canned to soften it slightly for my yorkie boys who have very little teeth. They seem to love it. Sometimes I'll even throw in the canned Wild Buffalo to add a different flavor, even if it's just a couple pieces of the meat and crush it up.

ZlatasPop

The only canned food I've given my Zlata is Pedigree & some Alpo "Flame Broiled" because I got a free coupon for it. She REALLY loved the Alpo though it probably was not very good for her I'm going to have to look for some good canned now. Man I never knew taking GOOD care & loving a dog involved SO MUCH!

My girls are eating kibble right now (soon they'll be eating raw), and daily I don't usually add anything except for glucosamine chrondroitin, a garlic mix and alfafa. They get treats during the day and once a week they get raw bones. Sometimes I'll give them some raw meat or egg in as a side dish, too.

Athe

I give a variety of different canned foods. I water down my dry and add eith Solid Gold, Nutura, California Naturals, Nature's Variety, Canidae, Eagle Pack...the list goes on. I also add canned sardines, canned wild alaskan salmon, etc etc to my dogs meals. I give them lots of variety and they look forward to every meal. To feed plan dry kibble is a lot of work for the kidneys...I try to make sure my dogs don't have excess stress on their kidneys by adding water and feeding as many live raw meals as possible. ;)

Members online

No members online now.