Leashes

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
Master's Pride and J&J. J&J leashes break in fast, but until they're broken in I can't say I like them. But once they're broken in... oh man, there's nothing better. :)
This is how I feel about my Texas leash lead. It felt too stiff when I first got it, but it's been breaking in pretty quickly and it feels so comfortable to hold. I'm planning on buying a black one from them as well.

The only downside to my 3/8" wide bold lead designs lead was that the snap was TINY and I wasnt comfortable having such a little snap on it with my dogs. I asked them if they could put a bigger snap on it and they said they couldn't because it wouldn't work. I think their next size snap is quite a bit bigger. I ended up buying a smallish/medium sized snap and my landlord unbraided the leash and rebraided the new snap onto it. I've had zero issues with it and love that leash too. One thing I like about bold lead is how freaking soft their leads are. I also have another bold lead leash in 1/2" wide though I much prefer thinner leashes so 3/8" wide is perfect for me.

Eta: actually just measured and my Texas leash is actually 1/4"

Pix!.

I make my own,out of leather reins & do sell them.
They are about 5 ft long x 3/4 wide.
Once,broken in,they are amazingly soft!.
Kennel leash:

Twisted leash:

MicksMom

That. I, too, have a SD lead made by J&J (purchased from Guide Dogs for the Blind for like $14) that I adore so much that I got 3 more. Until they break in they are stiff, but once broken in, omg wonderful!...
Weird. I bought my service dog lead directly from J&J and was buttery soft from the day it arrived.

SizzleDog

Lord Cynical
The leads we've won at shows from j&j are super stiff, any tips on softening?
LOL, either suck it up and use them for a few weeks, or you can put mink oil on them and work them in your hands when you're watching TV etc. I've done both... same results. :)

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
I didn't even use mink oil - I just had them in the car and at stop lights played with them. They softened up pretty fast.

Locke

As far as leather I really like bold lead designs and Texas Leash... I also love Northern Blackout, but I don't think she makes leads much anymore. Are you wanting a thinner leash or do you prefer wider?

I have to say I really love my Texas leash 3/8" wide leash. It's pretty strong and its been softening really nicely. It's definitely become my go to leash.
Thank you so much for posting about Texas Leash Company. I've been looking everywhere for a service dog/utility leash, and I couldn't find anything for under $60 after shipping. Just ordered a brown utility leash from them. Extremely reasonable prices and cheap shipping costs!! Thanks!

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
Thank you so much for posting about Texas Leash Company. I've been looking everywhere for a service dog/utility leash, and I couldn't find anything for under $60 after shipping. Just ordered a brown utility leash from them. Extremely reasonable prices and cheap shipping costs!! Thanks!
Awesome. Let me know if you end up loving your leash. Mine was a little stiff at first, but it has broken in pretty quickly and it's lightweight and super comfortable to hold. Definitely my favorite leash right now and I love the inexpensive price. One of my friends out here had a leash by them that she uses with her training client dogs. After handling her leash I had to get one and I'm in love. I'm going to order a black one as well.

Hillside

Original Twin
I didn't even use mink oil - I just had them in the car and at stop lights played with them. They softened up pretty fast.
I do exactly what Erin does. Exactly. I think she stalked me to learn my leash secrets.

My J&J leashes soften up nicely, especially if I LEAVE them in the car when I'n not using them.

JacksonsMom

Love allk-9.com's 1/2" 6' black biothane leads. They are the best, hands down, to any leather or biothane leash I've used before.
I just ordered a 1/2" 6' one of these! Excited to try it. I've actually never used or even felt biothane. So curious how I'll like it. :)

We are in and out of water a lot in the summer, and especially since I plan on doing dock diving now, it'll be nice to have. If I like a lot, I'll probably purchase a longer line in biothane. We have a rope now that is is 50' and it's so old, it hurts my hand to hold, it also gets disgusting in sand and mud.

DJEtzel

I just ordered a 1/2" 6' one of these! Excited to try it. I've actually never used or even felt biothane. So curious how I'll like it. :)

We are in and out of water a lot in the summer, and especially since I plan on doing dock diving now, it'll be nice to have. If I like a lot, I'll probably purchase a longer line in biothane. We have a rope now that is is 50' and it's so old, it hurts my hand to hold, it also gets disgusting in sand and mud.
You will be in love, I can almost assure you! :)

If I had the money, I would most definitely have a 40' tracking biothane line. We use a yellow poly-rope right now and ususally it's for Sir and he likes to hit the end and make me hold on for dear life... and destroy my hands. Biothane won't do that to you!

JacksonsMom

You will be in love, I can almost assure you! :)

If I had the money, I would most definitely have a 40' tracking biothane line. We use a yellow poly-rope right now and ususally it's for Sir and he likes to hit the end and make me hold on for dear life... and destroy my hands. Biothane won't do that to you!
OMG, I am in love. Just got in the mail today. The biothane is sooo soft. TBH, I wasn't sure what to expect when I first started reading about biothane material. I thought it would be too tough or something for a little dog. But it's fantastic. I got the 1/2" width leash, didn't want to go any smaller, I have kind of big hands for a girl lol, and just prefer a bit thicker leashes. Our regular leather leash is 5/8" thick.

Anyway, loving this! I need a collar now too. lol. I messaged Custom Canine Collars on Facebook, haven't heard back yet. But really want a thin biothane collar.

OMG, I am in love. Just got in the mail today. The biothane is sooo soft. TBH, I wasn't sure what to expect when I first started reading about biothane material. I thought it would be too tough or something for a little dog. But it's fantastic. I got the 1/2" width leash, didn't want to go any smaller, I have kind of big hands for a girl lol, and just prefer a bit thicker leashes. Our regular leather leash is 5/8" thick.

Anyway, loving this! I need a collar now too. lol. I messaged Custom Canine Collars on Facebook, haven't heard back yet. But really want a thin biothane collar.
Ahh, now I think I might have to do a biothane....jerk, lol

Locke

Just received my Texas Leash Company utility leash, and I LOVE IT!!!

Needs a bit of working in, and I guess I need a dog to use it, but I'm already beyond thrilled. It's everything I was looking for!
Thanks so much Skittle!!

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
I have a bold lead I really love :)
It's called the superlead, I have it in black and I really love it! So well made and quite pretty

Members online

No members online now.