So tired of the humping

SpringerLover

The roommate's dog has humped Buzz at every opportunity since we moved in. This is not okay in any way. I manage it the best I can but if I turn away for even a minute, he's trying to hump Buzz. Buzz will never tell him off, but he WILL fall over because he's not as stable as he used to be.

Causes for humping
1) Frustration
2) Entertainment
3) ???

I'm just so tired of living with a dog that isn't mine and doesn't know anything other than sit. Especially when he's understimulated and possibly as a result of that, doing many things that are stressing me out.

Ugh.

Oh, and I had to dump water on this dog yesterday to get him to leave Buzz alone while Buzz was eating a hunk of meat in the yard because he refused to be left inside.

Snark

Mutts to you
Have you talked to your roommate about the problem? I'd probably tell him/her that if they don't stop their dog from harassing mine, I'm going to lock it in their bedroom whenever necessary.

Saeleofu

Where is the roommate when all this is happening?

When I had roommates with dogs, the agreement was that our dogs were to be crated, or at least in our rooms, unless we were home and supervising. There were times when my roommate would ask me to let her dogs outside for a bit, and she'd let mine outside if I was late getting home or something, but for the most part we each cared for our own dogs. Her dogs would have driven me NUTS if they were loose all the time. Mine probably would have driven her nuts, too (Logan especially is WAY too much dog for her to handle, while her dogs are always in your face if you have food).

If nothing else, spray bottle full of ice water.

yoko

Where is the roommate when all this is happening?

When I had roommates with dogs, the agreement was that our dogs were to be crated, or at least in our rooms, unless we were home and supervising. There were times when my roommate would ask me to let her dogs outside for a bit, and she'd let mine outside if I was late getting home or something, but for the most part we each cared for our own dogs. Her dogs would have driven me NUTS if they were loose all the time. Mine probably would have driven her nuts, too (Logan especially is WAY too much dog for her to handle, while her dogs are always in your face if you have food).

If nothing else, spray bottle full of ice water.

This. When I got Yoshi I was living with a lady who had a dog as well. Our agreement was if one of us wasn't home our dogs were crated. There was never a time when both dogs were out and only one of us was home.

SpringerLover

My roommate is gone a lot. He's usually out of the house by 6am and not back until well after 6pm, and then leaves again for a couple hours (he's a work out fanatic and works a typical 8 hour day). I let his dog out when I get home around 4 every day.

In the winter, it wasn't an issue locking his dog in his bedroom. Roommate didn't like it a whole lot as it made his dog more "wired" when he got home. But the temperature was consistent. I can't put his dog in his bedroom with this weather as his bedroom is in the converted attic and it gets quite hot up there.

He just doesn't understand the problems his dog causes and I don't think he's ever going to. He also lived here for a year before I moved in, so I have a feeling he has more of a "this is mine" sense, even though he only pays 1 cent more than me in rent each month.

For a while I was leaving Buzz loose while I was gone, but then he hurt himself so he's either crated or in gated in my bedroom. Bailey's always been gated or crated. Despite the fact that my dogs also used to have the run of the house where we lived before.

I go in spurts of working with his dog, and then not... because I want him to respond to cues but when I work with him he fights for my attention. It's a double edged sword for sure!

Saeleofu

Maybe have him get a crate to put on the main floor where it's cooler? Or gate him into a kitchen/bathroom/etc when he needs to be downstairs but the roomie isn't home?

Honestly it's the other guy that needs to MAKE time for his dog if he's going to have one. I know that it's probably not going to change, though :/ But his dog sure wouldn't be as wired if he'd go and exercise WITH the dog for a couple hours.

Teal

...ice road...
Maybe it's just me and how I personally feel about other people taking care of my dog... but your roommate sounds like a total slacker with NO business owning a dog :-/

If I had to deal with the dog, I'd let it out to potty.. then stick it in a crate or section it off. It's not fair to your dog to constantly have to deal with that :(

Bailey08

Ugh, I'm so sorry.

In my opinion, it is absolutely your and, more importantly, your dog's, right for Buzz not to be humped. Especially since he is older -- it's just not appropriate or fair.

My older dog, Bailey, is a humper (thankfully not at home) and it's a hard habit to break because it's so self-reinforcing (he goes to daycare and humps his "girlfriends," who apparently don't mind). Certainly you can try to train the dog yourself, but I think it would be much easier and less stressful for you just to crate or contain him. Of course, that assumes that it's not going to be a PITA to crate train him. Is there an extra crate or bathroom or something where you can confine him?

Humping is one of just a couple of things that I absolutely will not allow my puppy to do (jumping is another). It's a natural behavior, but it's also quite rude.

SpringerLover

In my opinion, it is absolutely your and, more importantly, your dog's, right for Buzz not to be humped. Especially since he is older -- it's just not appropriate or fair.
This is my biggest area of concern. Buzz is 14 years old, he just wants to be left alone.

Thankfully roomie and his dog will be out of town for the next week! Maybe in that time period I can think of something convincing to say about this... we'll see I guess.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
Is D noise phobic? What if you absolutely scare him shitless every time he humps? Like can of pennies or something. Something OMGTERRIBLE!!! happens every time he starts. If you can consistently make it happen every time he tries this week he may give up?

I am not usually one for punishment, but seriously he needs to lay off Buzz.

SpringerLover

Is D noise phobic? What if you absolutely scare him shitless every time he humps? Like can of pennies or something. Something OMGTERRIBLE!!! happens every time he starts. If you can consistently make it happen every time he tries this week he may give up?

I am not usually one for punishment, but seriously he needs to lay off Buzz.
He's absolutely noise-phobic. I'm definitely at that point where I will try it.

Good idea.

Jack likes to hump other dogs, but only in the midst of play - he won't just start humping randomly out of the blue. However, I've had foster dogs that DIDNOTLIKETHAT and over-corrected him. In the hopes of avoiding a scuffle, I've been interrupting his humping behavior (usually with an ah-ah or a clap) and redirecting it onto a toy or a tug instead.

Members online

No members online now.