dog stories

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
I am a avid reader of animal stories, especially dog ones of course. One of my favorites was The dogs that came for Christmas...I don't know who wrote it because I lost my copy when we had a fire..The story was told by a couple writers. I am trying to find another copy, but don't know if that is even the correct title. I am terrible about reading the book and never paying attention to the cover. If you have a favorite can we list them? I would like to hunt up some new ones that I haven't read.

I have heard of that story. I can't remember the author though. Let me see if I can dig up my list. It may be on it.

Chazhound

scob89

DILLIGAF?
I don't remember that one either but my favorite one so far is called Oktoberfeast. I rember one that was called "The Christmas Dogs".

Saje

Island dweller
One of my favourite books is The Loop by Nicholas Evans (author of the Horse Whisperer). It's about wolves but it's a great story.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
Thanks everybody, I have read the loop, gave me nighmares! HAve you seen the documentary on the horse whisper guy? The real guy? I learned something from him. The horses swallow and suck when they are really happy and content. At night when I lay down with the dogs and we are all warm and cozy, they both do the same thing. When they are feeling really happy with Momthey do this at other times. There was a Dog whiperer on the news the other day. I am really interested in any info anybody knows about him. They showed him walking in to a "pack" of dogs and he had their full attention in seconds, and was completely in control. The documentary, if you haven't seen it was on pbs (the real horse whisperer one) he went into a herd of wild horses and eventually rode the stallion out, with no force, all by understanding the animal and using it's own culture and communication. I love this stuff. I realllllllllly do!!!!!!!
I will be looking for the ones thatyou suggested. Our library contains all the good Jack London type but I think I read all that before i left grade school. There is one of short stories called "The dog that bit or (bites) people" which is far better then the title implies. I quit hanging on to my books for they would fill the house and have taken some to the thrift store that I really wish I had back. The Dog that bit his people has a story in it about a boxer "with a noble chin" I can't look at a boxer since without thinking that.

Saje

Island dweller
I don't know why the Loop gave you nightmares. Hmmm. Was it the sad parts?

I have read all of Monty Roberts books - guy considered the "real" horse whisperer. There's a lot of stuff to learn from him and his life. There are a lot of people that use that method of training. Chris Irwin is the Canadian equivalent.

Neat stuff

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
the book loop was excellent..it was the loop itself. Maybe I read a different book, but what i have run itno a couple of times is the similiar trap of where a bone is sliced thin and curled so that when it is digested it unwinds and punctures the intestine. Ikkkkes. I have run into that in a couple of different places. I have bad dreams about a lot of things like that. When my mom (she is always trying to tell me of some horrible thing in the paper or news) starts her discriptions I literally do the lalala thing so I can't hear her, especially if it involves children. I learn so much from really good animal tales, and they are so hard to find after you have read all the basics. I love the old ones I run across in the thrifty store. one was called the lady and her tiger...she was an animal rescue for movie animals...her trial and tribulations were very discriptive. At one point she said if she only knew then what she knew now she could have done such a better job early on....i like to learn from their experiences add to my cummulitve education....have you seen the dog whisperer? I just gotta find the guy and see how he did that..the thing they had on the news......

Members online

No members online now.