Dogs in the garbage!

Two of our dogs constantly go through our garbages. They are looking for everything from yucky food to dirty kleenexes. They are not particular about which garbage cans they draw from, nor do they care if we are in the next room! Before we go out we try to put the kitchen garbage out of paw reach. The boys are well fed and if anything, above where they should be on the weight charts. Any advice here would be appreciated! LL

Mousetraps have worked for several people I know. I never really had a problem with any of my other dogs - only a couple got into the trash and then it only took telling them I didn't want them to get in the trash.

Shiva is a whole 'nother story. She can't seem to stop. I tried the mousetraps with her and she just dropped something on them to trigger them, then dropped them on the floor next to the trash can . . . then proceeded to look for something interesting in the trash. Habaneros didn't phase her either. She eats them. :rolleyes:

Good luck!

poodlesmom

I have the same problem with Farley - it is any paper products that he is on the search for. He has learned how to open cupboard doors and sliding to get to waste baskets. I finally bought a large one for the kitchen from Rubbermaid that works w/a step-on lever. The only time I have had a problem with that one is if one of my grandsons opens it & doesn't close it then he'll tip it over to root out kleenex, papertowels & whatnot. I'm patiently waiting for the day that Farley finally learns how to step on the lever to open it up on - I'm sure it's coming! ;)

I tried the mousetraps as well as setting him up & spraying the top layer with Bitter Apple (which he hates) & that layer just got nosed aside. :rolleyes: And I had to put one of those childproof latches on the vanity door under the bathroom sink.

I'm thinking I'm going to have to pony up and get one of those ultra-expensive heavy duty stainless steel cans with the lever lid. Of course, I'll have to make sure Shiva never, ever sees me open it - she'll figure it out in a heartbeat. I've never seen a dog so mechanically inclined. When she figured out how to unscrew the lid on the peanut butter I knew I had a real problem . . .

You should see her try to open my car door to get in . . . :rolleyes:

candy722

hum..... maybe they do it for fun. Maybe they are just naughty. Maybe a new toy for them to play with.

Members online

No members online now.