Scared

Richie12345

Well, we're moving to our new house in the 10th of August, and my dad is complaining about me and my dog. The usual, "Cooper is a freakin piss machine." "You better train that dog quick". Well, I'm just shutting my mouth, not talking and then he said "If that dog pisses on the carpet (there's carpet everywhere except the kitchen and bathrooms) I'm gonna start beating that dog. And I don't care what your dog books say" ...yep, I'm screwed...

Akiro

Hero not Akiro anymore!
Awwww gosh that's so harsh!It's normal for it to go wee-wee well how long have you been having Cooper?Maybe you can try talking with your dad or yeah train him quick.People are cruel these days >.>

Saje

Island dweller
That IS bad news Richie. :( What do you think is the best thing for Cooper? Anyway to talk to your dad?

bubbatd

Richie ,,, this is really going to be hard on you. Cooper is going to pick up on your feelings and if normal will want to mark his new home. Try the leash attached to you trick the first few days, until you both are more comfortable. Can Cooper sleep in your room ?? When do you go back to school ?? Sorry to admit, but my husband sounded like your Dad.... didn't know pups and there were many an accidents he never knew about !! I'm not talking about lying... just a case of what you don't know doesn't matter ! Be respectful ... if you blow off, it will be taken out on Cooper. Please let us know how things are going. If you're this concerned 10 days before the move, I know you are really concerned. Ask your Dad about the house rules and Cooper's boundries Good luck !!

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
keep him on a leash..take him out every 30 minutes or less...it will work if you make it work. This is a good time to get the house breaking done and over with. You will have to be diligent. keep your eye on him ALL the time and in a few days he will be with complete understanding of what you are asking from him. Don't give your dad a reason to do this. I wrote before that when i visited my dad he had a new home with carpet all thru..i had no idea before i came down and i wasn't much older then you. I kept my 8 week old puppy with me 24/7..never took my eye off of him and we had it over with in 3 days. Set a timer if you have to. If you take him out that often he won't have the urine built up to go on the floor.

RD

Are you dead yet?
Wow, that sucks.

I had my puppy trained to go outside within two weeks, but he wasn't able to control himself until he was about 9 months old and he STILL isn't 100% reliable. Cooper is GOING to have accidents unless you are with him constantly, and since you'll have to go to school, that won't be possible. I really don't know what to say, but if it comes to the point where the dog is being abused because he's peeing on the carpet, it might be best to rehome him. JMO.

I really hope you guys can work this out. Talk to your dad, figure out some boundaries to set for Cooper. See if he will work with you on trying to train your dog.

Richie12345

My dad is already rough on Cooper, litterally talking so aggresive he's spittin in Coop's face when he goes to my room. Then he calls Coop and asks why he doesn't come to him :rolleyes:. Yeah I don't think I'm gonna be in my room ever, cus Cooper is not allowed in my room until he is potty trained... 3 more days...

bubbatd

The Monks tethered their dogs to their beds.... maybe that's the route to go. Would your Dad read the book ??

Richie12345

bubbatd said:
The Monks tethered their dogs to their beds.... maybe that's the route to go. Would your Dad read the book ??
no... he said he would listen to me, since I have read dog books. But I guess he was just making that up...

BigDog2191

Big German Shepherd
Yeah... my dad was kind of the same way... but after talking he stopped-- he's very reasonable that way-- a nice LONG sit down will do it. In fact, me and him feuded (word?) all day today until we came to a very nice conclusion.

Richie, I dunno but... uh... you should tell him it takes about 6 months for any normal dog to be house trained and that he needs to be patient and hitting him will not do anything except make HIS anger go away and most likely make Cooper attack somebody as he gets older and more aggressive.

Ask if he'd like a law suit on his hands in the future.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Tell your dad that since he agreed to leave the training up to you, to kindly follow his promise and leave the training up to you. My dad was the same way with Sawyer; he would get quite upset when he would have an accident, even though Sawyer had never been housetrained before. I pretty much had to get Sawyer housebroken as quick as possible, because there was an implied threat that after a certain amount of time passed, and there were still wet spots in the house, then I was going to have to give Sawyer back. This happened even when my dad was roughhousing with Sawyer and Sawyer would puppy dribble because my dad was being intimidating. I can get away with being a bit more aggressive with my dad than you probably can, Richie, but you do need to speak up. Or, if you want to be sneaky, remind your dad that it was your mom that went out and got you a puppy without telling you in the first place, so blame it on her. ;)

Tell your dad, like I did mine, that it's completely unreasonable to expect perfect obedience from day one. The dogs needs time to adjust and be prepared that whatever progress you made in housebreaking may be undone by the move.

showpug

Richie...this really sucks for you. I can tell you are a responsible kid and want the best for your dog. What is sad, is that you had a gut feeling before you even got Cooper that your Dad may mistreat him. I hope the potty training goes well from here on out and remember to keep Cooper's best interest at heart. There is no excuse that makes it okay to beat a dog. :(

Buckshot

I would be so tempted to ask my dad (if he said that) "Do you mind if I film you beating this puppy?" If you wont let me film it, why? "Because its shameful?" Then why do it? If nothing else it would put him in the same situation the dog is in caged, scared and new to the enviroment(animal cruelty laws are rough). I am not suggesting that you say this, it may result in your own beating. Im just saying that if a clip of that was played at the next family reunion he would have every reason to feel the way Im sure that he would feel.

pitdog

that is really messed up you might want to talk about what can happen in the future if he keeps on threating your dog like that i am sorry i can't help you any further

Anytime somebody told me I should beat Blue for having an accident, I asked them if they would beat a toddler for not making it to the toilet.

Sunnypup

mostly ignored...
blue said:
Anytime somebody told me I should beat Blue for having an accident, I asked them if they would beat a toddler for not making it to the toilet.
oh but believe me when I say there are people who would and gladly :( In fact that is what makes them "tough, well behaved young adults" according to one douch bag I know. grr. poor pup. Good luck with coop. Make sure he's with you all the time and take him out every 1/2 hr if you can . he'll get the idea. Poor little guy.

poeluvr

does he like dogs?its weird hes ready to give up 1000$ to buy cooper, but then acts like he hates him, and is gonna beat him.
maybe if u talk to ur mom about it aswell she could talk to him for you, he may have more respect for her talking back to him then u....goood luck
by the way coop's adorable doggy, good luck!

Doberluv

I'm sorry Richie that you have this stress on you. Do like the others said and watch the dog always, tie him to you if you must and take him out very often. He'll learn faster that way anyhow....if he doesn't have accidents. When he's free in the house, could you put something across the doorways so he has to stay in the kitchen and not in the carpeted rooms? If you have him in your bedroom, can you use a crate for his sleeping time? I think it will work out, but if your Dad is abusive to the dog, you know what you'll have to do and it won't be easy. Hopefully, you can have a "man to man" talk and hopefully he'll try to be understanding. I wish you all the best. Let us know.

Members online