Houston Dock Dog Competition Tomorrow

LabDad

Houston, Texas
Just read in this mornings paper that for the first time the Outdoor Channel will be in Houston tomorrow afternoon to host a dock dog competition at a new park in downtown Houston.
I figure that of the 4 million people in the Houston area about half have Labs so I expect a huge turn out. The only thing that might hold down the numbers is it's on a Friday afternoon. I will have to take a half day vacation from work to enter Duke.
At 6 1/2 years old I have no expectations that he will make it over 10 feet but it will be fun to participate. This will be his first official competition.
If any other dock jumpers here in the Houston area plan to attend, the competition will begin registration at 2:00pm at the new Discovery Green Park across from the George R. Brown Convention Center. I'm sure there will be a mob but I hope to see you there.
Here's a photo of Duke practicing his flying. He gets pretty good air and this was taken at the old park where there is no ramp so this leap was from ground level.

Baxter'smybaby

swimming upstream
sounds like fun! I hope you get some pictures!! Looks like Duke will want to take a jump!

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Good luck to Duke! Our old lab loved doing stuff like that (though he never competed or anything). Our GSDx tried, but kind of failed many times.

Anyways, Papillons + water do not mix. (Summer decided to take a swim the other day and failed)

LabDad

Houston, Texas
I'll probably go to take some photos. The competition is supposed to be June 27-29 (not just Friday).
Thank you for that notice. I just checked the Dock Dog web site then called Discovery Green. The newspaper is wrong and registration is at 8:eek:oam in the morning. The event does continue Saturday and Sunday.

Also, it looks like your photo was taken at Millie Bush dog park. If you go to the Bill Archer dog park (on hwy 6 & i-10) they have something very close to a "dock". May have a photo of it on the Houston dog park website.

LabDad

Houston, Texas
Also, it looks like your photo was taken at Millie Bush dog park.
You are correct. We now go Bill Archer every Saturday and Sunday and Duke will launch off that high ramp. Just never got a photo there. Both of my boys love to swim and will head for the pond as soon as we get to the park.

You are correct. We now go Bill Archer every Saturday and Sunday and Duke will launch off that high ramp. Just never got a photo there. Both of my boys love to swim and will head for the pond as soon as we get to the park.
I love Bill Archer. It's so big so it's easy to stay away from the crazies.

Members online

No members online now.