When a stranger knows your dog better than you...

ACooper

We were away camping this weekend and during a walk around the grounds, this lady said "Oh, a rottweiler" while pointing to Orson. I smiled and said "He's a doberman" I'm used to the comment, he's the right colors and markings and John Q is not always the most dog wise.

But....She frowned and said "No, I'm pretty sure that's a rottweiler" I chuckled thinking it might be an attempt to joke about her mistake......but no, she was still frowing and serious. I replied "I am 100% sure he's NOT a rottweiler" I winked, walked on and didn't look back.

I know a lot of you guys have encountered people trying to tell YOU all about YOUR dog/breed....let's hear 'em!

Lyzelle

When we were on the road in August, we stayed in St. Joseph. The morning we left to continue on, I stopped to get gas first and there were a DOZEN of biker guys hanging out and getting gas too. I typically mind my business, get gas, whatever, meanwhile Zane is sitting in the back oogling all these biker guys.

And I hear a, "Hey, [name here], Look! She's got a WOLF in dat car!" I hear a few whistles and yells of excitement from the rest of the group.

I roll my eyes to myself, and just gently call out a correction, "He's not a wolf." Go back to minding my own business. I'm used to comments like that, no biggie, most people generally go away or start an intelligent conversation by actually ASKING what he is.

This guy? Nope. He walks on over with that look on his face that says I'm an idiot because I look 15 years old and says, "Well, all dogs are wolves, when you get down to it."

I just smiled and said, "Sure, give or take a few thousand years."
He smiled back and said, "Yeah, a few thousand years." And walked away.

Jin, meanwhile, was LAUGHING his BUTT off. He re-told that story to anyone who would listen. And still does.

ETA: It's the best breed story we have so far. Although Macie's is pretty high up there, too.

She was maybe 6 months, dark brindle English Mastiff, and she was already the size of a decent lab. My mom was talking to our neighbor while Mae played with the grass. Neighbor says, "Isn't that the kind of dog that kills people?"

My mom and I just sorta look at each other, then my mom said, "No...she's a 6 month English Mastiff."

"No, I'm pretty sure that's the kind of dog that kills people." Neighbor walks away.

MafiaPrincess

Obvious trollsare Obvious
In a large petstore 2-3 years ago.

"Look kids! Poodles!

"Sorry, they are american cocker spaniels. I just trim them as I please"

"No. They are obviously poodles. Kids that woman is a liar.

"Pardon? The black one has AKC papers, we've done conformation. They are cockers"

"Massive swear words about the evil lying nasty person I am" as she pulls off her brat pack of three kids 3-7 years old. Glad you drop the f bomb often in front of your kids telling strangers off...

People tell me all the time what Pip is. And I have been assured on several occasions that Squash is a pit bull (um, a little big for that, don't you think?).

Romy

Taxiderpy
That's awful Lyzelle! Poor Macie. :(

Strider is a pony. Some lady (not an employee) at Petsmart flipped out at me for bringing a pony inside the store, because ya know, ponies aren't allowed.

She wouldn't even admit her mistake when I pulled back his lips to show her his canines. Maybe that means he's really a kelpie.

monkeys23

Yeah apparently I live with wolves. And sometimes Lily is a coyote. People are so smart! :rolleyes:

I actually had someone argue with me about Scout being a wolf once. This about a dog that looks nearly all GSD. Riiiiiight.

Once I was outside with the dogs and some kids down the street were walking by and then freaked out when the big bad "pit bull" started barking and when they said something along the lines of watch out for that pit bull I yelled over the fence he's a boxer and some girl was like "hell no I know a pit bull when I see one" and I just laughed and was like lady I'm the dogs owner I know what breed my dogs is. Not to mention the fact she couldn't actually see him because he was behind a 6ft privacy fence... and she goes "I don't know what you're looking at but I'm staring at a pit bull and then takes off with her friends"...

adojrts

I had Tally in town one day, woman with a shorty, silky coated 'cough' um jrt says to me. What kind of dog is that? Me: A jrt. Woman: That is NOT a jrt!!!!, it is too tall and its legs are too long!!! Me: Yes, she is, a well bred one and a very good example of the breed standard. Woman: NO!!! that is not a jrt. Me: well her registration papers and the conformation championships she won last weekend in Rhode Island must be wrong.
She walked away still mumbling about how jrts are not registered and my dog wasn't one :) And yes prts were in AKC at the time, so that didn't count either lol.

Well, you know Kharma is either a weird looking Dane or a Bloodhound . . . because Filas are a figment of my imagination.

I really love the ones who give The Look as they say, "I've never heard of them and I know a lot about dogs" with the unspoken implication that if they've never heard of it, it doesn't exist. :rolleyes:

Weirdly, it's the ones you'd think would be the worst about it, the tobacco chewing, if it ain't from the farm it ain't crap kind who are really curious about her and want to know more about what she is -- and don't insinuate or outright tell me she's a mix and I'm making it all up.

crazedACD

Haha..some guy yelled at me "Why don't you have a muzzle on that pit bull?!" one time when I was walking skye. Pfft.

Some lady in petsmart argued with me over what Romeo was...nothing too exciting, just was **** sure he was a GSD mix. But cattle dogs only come in blue! There are no red cattle dogs, must be a GSD!

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
Really i just fight that she's old :p
Same with Shamoo lol

I normally encourage confusion with my Malinois. "GSD mix", "Belgian sheepdog", "shepherd breed", or give them whatever they imagine.

I rarely argue the right breed for my pit bulls either, "they're old rescues, your guess is as good as mine", its a super fun game to play.

CaliTerp07

I find it interesting that whenever I'm at an AKC event with purebred people, they feel the need to classify Lucy as a specific breed. They want me to admit that she is part border collie, or part pointer, or part sheltie, or whatever their opinion is. It seems to frustrate a lot of breed people that I don't know what she is and won't immediately accept what they say as gospel.

This weekend at the coursing event, people were absolutely trying to convince me that she was part aussie and part sight hound (because if she wasn't part sight hound, it was "inconceivable" that she was coursing so well).

Eventually I always just say, "Yeah, good point, you're probably right!" and try to change the subject, no matter how much I disagree with their guesses.

Paige

Let it be
Someone once tried to tell me Bandit was a long haired Pit Bull. I died a little on the inside. Usually I get I must be off about his age and breed. No way he's a 7 year old Border Collie. He must be a 7 month old Bernese Mountain dog pup

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
I find it interesting that whenever I'm at an AKC event with purebred people, they feel the need to classify Lucy as a specific breed. They want me to admit that she is part border collie, or part pointer, or part sheltie, or whatever their opinion is. It seems to frustrate a lot of breed people that I don't know what she is and won't immediately accept what they say as gospel.

This weekend at the coursing event, people were absolutely trying to convince me that she was part aussie and part sight hound (because if she wasn't part sight hound, it was "inconceivable" that she was coursing so well).

Eventually I always just say, "Yeah, good point, you're probably right!" and try to change the subject, no matter how much I disagree with their guesses.
That's ironic since with all the AKC events I go to with Kim and Webster, I've been asked if I know what breeds are in the mix but never gotten grief about how they must be something or another in particular. They may speculate when I say I don't know but it's all very "huh I wonder if...?"

Around town I've been asked what sort of purebred Kim is on many occasions. Because she's (and I quote this exactly) "too pretty to be a mixbreed." It's often assumed that she's a purebred they haven't seen before as opposed to a mix breed.

Webster is a Miniature German Shepherd Dog, doncha know. Who I should breed. Also they would like to buy a puppy. All based on my dog walking across a parking lot.

Mira and Cookie are a Lab mixed with something. If I think otherwise then I was duped. Or she's just like this dog I had as a kid only he was 100 pounds but they look exactly alike. What did you say she was again? A Black-Footed Retriever (from the Farmer's Market the other day)? Yeah my dog must've been a Black-Footed Retriever too cuz they are identical.

:D:popcorn:

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
My dogs get called pomeranians and chihuahuas very often. Papillon is becoming a lot more frequent as the breed has gotten a lot more common over the past 8 years we've had them.

I actually don't correct people unless they ask specifically if they are chihuahuas or poms. I used to but I just don't care anymore. I've had people pet them and tell me how much they love chihuahuas. Or tell me they have chihuahuas at home too. I just smile and say something along the lines of 'chihuahuas are good dogs/cute/etc'. Maybe I should correct people more often.

I have had a few people insist they're a mixed breed or designer breed. It's kind of odd that they don't believe me that they're a purebred.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Mira and Cookie are a Lab mixed with something. If I think otherwise then I was duped. Or she's just like this dog I had as a kid only he was 100 pounds but they look exactly alike. What did you say she was again? A Black-Footed Retriever (from the Farmer's Market the other day)? Yeah my dog must've been a Black-Footed Retriever too cuz they are identical.

I get a lot of 'oh that is like so and so's dog. Only his is XYZ color that doesn't happen in papillons.'

Members online

No members online now.