I've created a monster

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Last month, after Auggie got his NAJ, I went to Long John Silver's and got something to eat... and, because he had such a big weekend, I did what I NEVER do...

and gave him some of my food.
He got french fries... they're little and skinny and not too salty, so I gave him a small handful. It was a VERY BIG DEAL because, like I said, I never ever ever give him people food.

Well, I took him out just a bit ago to go buy some more dog food, and on the way home I decided to pick up lunch. Oh, heck, why not Long John Silver's, that sounds good...

HE WANTS MY FRIES.
HELP ME. PLEASE.

bubbatd

Ollie's pissed at me when I park and go into Walgreen .... he likes the RX pickup window to get his bones ! Last week I got my meds instide as I needed other thing . The gal asked me where was Ollie . I told her that he was in the car . Well , she told me to go to the window so that he could get his treat ! Nice lady !

ACooper

Uh oh...it's an EXTREMELY easy/fast habit to make and a nearly impossible one to break! :eek:

I will tell you what Kevin's grandparents had to do with their Chi.

They got their little guy spoiled to "doggie bags" from wherever they ate through the day. They would always bring him one home (they eat out a LOT being retired) and he grew quite accustomed and would actually POUT (refuse to join them on the couch, wouldn't play tug with them for hours, etc saw it for myself! LOL) if they didn't remember.

Grandma noticed he was getting quite over weight and started moderating his intake, which of course meant cutting back on the restaurant treats. In order to keep him happy (not pouting) she got some healthy doggie treats and kept them in the glove box of the car.

She would put some of HIS treats into a food bag (whatever food they had eaten while out) before going in the house to see him.

As long as that dog seen the treats coming out of a restaurant bag (and probably smelled the food too) he was tickled pink and gobbled it down! He feels happy he was remembered, he got a treat, he has slimmed back down............everyone wins! :D

Maybe you need to keep an "Auggie" treat in the car for such occasions ;)

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Uh oh...it's an EXTREMELY easy/fast habit to make and a nearly impossible one to break! :eek:
That's why he NEVER gets people food and why I've always been so adament about it! Augh!! But he knew... it's probably because it's fish and we hardly ever have fish in this house, so it was a very distinctive smell. *facepalm* What have I gotten myself into?

He did actually get one of his very own cookies, though. I got some of the Old Mother Hubbard biscuits at the pet store and gave him one when we got home, because I just chucked them in the back of the car and realized once I got home that they fell RIGHT next to his "carseat" in the car - and he was such a good boy to leave them alone on the ride home! But ooooohhhhh no... he wanted his FRIES.

The good news is that he was very polite... he sat nicely and didn't whine or cry or lick his lips... just sat.
And gave me those "Mommy may I have a french fry please?" eyes...
After about ten minutes I ended up sending him out of the room and making him sit-stay. He could still see me and he still watched me eat, but he wasn't allowed to put one foot inside the room.
My sister fed her shelties all the time and they were AWFUL beggers (again, why it was always a rule from day one, AUGGIE GETS NO PEOPLE FOOD EVER.) They would whine and pace and it was horrible. But because they would beg at EVERY meal, I eventually taught them a "go away" command... and they would, indeed, go away. Auggie doesn't beg enough for us to work on that, I don't want to get him to beg at me so I can teach him it either. ;P

bubbatd

I always went to McDs on my way to the store when I had to take over ....they always gave Bubba their Animal cookies for kids !

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
I know, I'm such a horrible meanie, depriving my poor Auggie of his french fries!! My dad thinks it's awful that he can't have people food. He liked to give my sister's shelties cheetos. CHEETOS!! I bought him some of that pup-corn stuff just so he could feel like he was giving him something like a cheeto... ;P

But never fear... my Auggie has no small selection of cookies and treats for himself! I keep telling him, with no exaggeration, that when I have my own place he's probably going to get a kitchen cabinet JUST for all of his bags and boxes of different cookies. The cookies! They're everywhere!! Seriously, I have a treat jar by the door, a treat jar by his crate, a treat jar in the cabinet for dry treats, a different jar in the cabinet for soft treats... SO MANY COOKIES!

Members online

No members online now.