SUPER easy liver treats, dogs go NUTS for these

R

RedyreRottweilers

Preheat oven to 350

Line a cookie sheet with foil and spray or coat well with non stick cooking spray or oil.

1 tub chicken livers, 1.25 lbs
3 large eggs
1 clove garlic chopped (USE FRESH!)
3 cups quick oats
1 cup, more or less, unbleached or whole wheat flour

In a large bowl, measure out 3 cups quick oats and 1 tsp salt.

Whirl the liver, eggs, and garlic in a food processor until liquefied. Pour into the bowl with the oats. Mix well. Add enough flour to make the mixture thick enough so that you can spread it on a cookie sheet. More flour makes a breadier cookie. Less makes a chewier one.

Bake at 350 for 45 minutes. Remove pan, and using the foil, turn the sheet of liver cookie over. Bake for 10 more minutes.

Cool on a rack and cut into pieces. Refrigerate until use. I have not tried to freeze them, so don't know if that is feasible. They don't last long enough around here to get to the freezer. :D

My dogs go NUTS for these things. They are a good consistency, and hold shape even if cut into very small pieces.

Dekka

Just try me..
I make similar ones.. but tend to use spelt flakes vs oatmeal.

VERY popular treats!

A sprinkle of parmigiana cheese on top is good too.

I also suggest getting REALLY drunk while making them. I have a pretty tough stomach, but when I'm liquefying those livers in the food processor I feel just a tad more than a little nauseous.

But dogs (and cats!) go insane for these treats. I make very similar ones.

Bet they could be made with beef hearts. I'm not big on feeding livers unless I can get them from a source where I know the animal hasn't been injected with hormones and antibiotics.

Dekka

Just try me..
Chicken livers go 'creamy' when boiled.. it doesn't work as well with any other liver.. don't think it would work well with hearts.

Around here the beef is more likely to be injected than the chicken :(

EVO RM. I've got a real problem with adding liver that's not clean to their diets, liver being the clean out where all those chemical toxins gather :eek: Probably overly sensitive to it on my part, but I figure any little bit helps. ;)

I wish I had a good source for raw meats, but I haven't found one here yet. I'm hoping I can talk one or two of the custom processors around here to supply me, but I'll need to have a reliable source of income before I ask them. Wouldn't be good form to ask, then, when they save me the stuff, tell them I can't pick it up because I can't pay for it - or even the gas to get there :(

GlassOnion

Thanks, and Gig 'em.
Fragrant as in 'delicious' or 'evacuate the house'?

Also where does one come across a tub of chicken livers? A grocery store? Would the kind that don't come in tubs (like, packaging) work too? Is there a brand to look for?

Oh and what is a 'clove'? Just a piece of garlic like a piece of onion?

gale

A bulb (or maybe it's a head) of garlic is what they sell at the store and it will separate into individual cloves. The clove needs to be peeled-you can mash it with the side of a knife and then peel the skin off.

I wonder if you could just use about 1/4 tsp of garlic powder instead...

GlassOnion

Thanks, and Gig 'em.
Ok I made these tonight. They came out OK I guess. Probably could've made them better (less flour) but the dogs have no qualms over eating them.

It makes quite a large batch of them. I didn't take pictures but it filled a 12.5" diameter cookie pan with about a half inch thickness (so about 245 in^2 of treats).

The smell wasn't bad at all. It would've been good had I not known what was cooking; however, the sight of watching liver get pureed to a liquid then mixing that in a bowl plus my initial dislike for liver to begin with...well I wasn't interested. Dogs were though.

It came out of the oven with a crusty outer surface and a chewy inside. It was kind of hard to cut though so I just pulled reasonably sized pieces off.

Other than that the only 'downside' was that the tub of livers had a gall bladder in it that I had to remove. In doing so I accidentally punctured the sac so there was a bit of bile mixed in with the liver. I thought it was pretty cool but others disagreed.

Only ran into two snags while making them.

1) The recipe doesn't call for salt but the instructions do (had to buy salt).

2) Also it doesn't explicitly say to line the pan with aluminum foil so when I got to the part where it said 'use the foil to flip' I had to move the mixture to another (lined) pan. Now, according to a (female) friend of mine this is 'common sense' but this recipe needs to be guy-proof. Luckily I decided to spoil the ending and read ahead before putting it in the oven.

Oh and for the garlic conundrum I used some minced garlic that I found at the store.

gale

I don't know how many times I've gotten halfway through a recipe only to find it needed something that wasn't in the original ingredient list. Eventually I figured out that I need to read through the whole thing before I even start. Yet I still manage to mess them up more than I'd like...

Members online

No members online now.