Clicker training help

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
I've decided to try clicker training with Voodoo. He is such a high drive, food-loving dog (he would cheerfully sell his soul for a piece of cheese), that I think it would work well for him.

Can anyone point me to a few links that would be helpful? I know the basics, but I'm sure I'll run into questions at some point.

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
Thanks, Doc! This is my first attempt at clicker training, so it'll be something new for the both of us.

I'm sure you'll love it, expecially since Voodoo's a foody guy..

I really enjoy clicker training, I've added it to all of my classes (from puppy to growl class and everything in between), dogs catch on so quickly and owners have a ball.:)

The clicker solutions website is really good.

I tried clicker training, when I was potty training Elle, but she gets scared very easily and when I would click, she would jump and run... not quite the effect you want when you are potty training :lol-sign:

I hope you have luck with it, a lot of people seem to really like it.

Elissa

Doberluv

That's a great website! I love Melissa Alexander, although I haven't read that book. I think Culture Clash is great because not only does it explain what to do, but it explains how research has come up with how dogs think and learn. That is important to have as a foundation so you can better understand what is going on when you're training or having certian expectations of your dog.

Elissa,

If a clicker is too loud and scares some dogs, it can be muffled with tape over some cotton or foam rubber. Or you can use something else. But it does make a distinctive sound and is very effective. Apparently, it registers in a different part of the brain from our voices. There's just something about it. But marker words do work too.

Elissa,

If a clicker is too loud and scares some dogs, it can be muffled with tape over some cotton or foam rubber. Or you can use something else. But it does make a distinctive sound and is very effective. Apparently, it registers in a different part of the brain from our voices. There's just something about it. But marker words do work too.
Thanks.

Its a little late for Elle, she is trained now.

But I had been thinking of trying the clicker training again with Bella, so if she shows fear in the noise, I can use that method...Although, she does not scare easily...lol

Elissa

Members online

No members online now.