Things you wish you knew when you moved out on your own...

MandyPug

Sport Model Pug
About to embark on this adventure in the spring, so let's hear it you wise people!

Looking at a spring move just in town here, so nothing huge. I don't have a lot of stuff between me and pug.

Advice? Anything you wish you knew?

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
Omg, honestly, when I moved out I was 18, I went to uni and everything went downhill from there LOL

You seem like a sensible kind of person though, so I'm sure you will just tick along just fine!!!!

I don't even know what advice I could give you, other than... Maybe have a separate bank account for bills and rent etc. When you get paid, put it directly in there, then whatever is left in your bank account is yours to spend and you will never get into arrears!

I say this having never paid a bill in my life, but if I did, that's what I would do. Definitely.

Also, you need a stuff drawer/cupboard. That place where all the things live. Bits of string, batteries, spare bulbs, paper clips. A house isn't a home till you have one :p

xpaeanx

How freaking expensive it was.
Which brings up mine. This is something I knew, but it seems a lot of people don't so I'm just putting it out there.

When trying to see if you can "afford" something, always over-estimate your bills and underestimate your pay.

Have an emergency account, DO NOT EVER "borrow" from it. It is for emergencies only.

noludoru

Bored Now.
The dishes don't actually clean themselves when you leave them to soak overnight.

No one will let your dog out but you, so you better be there.

Moving into an all-inclusive rental agreement with a roommate will save you $600+ a month. (We did the math yesterday at work, and my monthly expenses came in at a grand less than the next two cheapest single people there.)

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
It's expensive. Also, choose degrees partially based on pay. Cause it's all expensive.

Elrohwen

How freaking expensive it was.
This!

I lived with roommates in college, and my parents still supported me financially, so I knew about the dishes, and the cleaning and things like that. The cost was what I wasn't ready for. Even now, 8 years later, I'm still shocked at how much we spend every month just on bills and things.

xpaeanx

The dishes don't actually clean themselves when you leave them to soak overnight.

Moving into an all-inclusive rental agreement with a roommate will save you $600+ a month. (We did the math yesterday at work, and my monthly expenses came in at a grand less than the next two cheapest single people there.)
On this note: be careful who you room with... Your prob best with someone you know but isn't one of your super-close friends. Friendships have been known to get ruined, new people have been known to become crazy.

Also, I found it helpful to have a roommate contract just get get expectations out from the get-go.

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
Which brings up mine. This is something I knew, but it seems a lot of people don't so I'm just putting it out there.

When trying to see if you can "afford" something, always over-estimate your bills and underestimate your pay.

Have an emergency account, DO NOT EVER "borrow" from it. It is for emergencies only.
That. My boyfriend does the *exact* amount needed for bills when seeing how much we would have left to spend. Do Not Like. :rolleyes: The number of times I've let him do the bills and we end up short is ridiculous, so OVERESTIMATE! lol

Also, there's is a TON of little things you are going to need that you don't account for and it adds up fast, at least there was for me lol

AllieMackie

Wookie Collie
Been living on my own since 2006, and I second what many have said!

Overestimate every bill. By a decent shot. This is some of the best advice I could give (and others are thinking along the same lines, I see!)) Emergency fund, yes. In fact, I have three bank accounts:
  • Chequing account for bill payments and other important things like groceries, household products, pet supplies, known upcoming medical visits for myself and the pets, etc. My bi-monthly payments go into this account to start.
  • Savings account for my "oh sh*t" fund. This covers emergencies. My car has a nasty repair needed, the water company misreads my meter and I get charged $700 (this happened), my pet gets ill, etc. I NEVER TOUCH THIS EXCEPT FOR EMERGENCIES.
  • A second savings account for purchasing things I want, but don't need. Video games, toys for Finn, yarn for knitting, the new tablet I want, that kind of thing. It's my frivolty account.

I spent the first few years of living on my own being a terrible budgeter, before I did the three-account thing. It ended in pulling from my emergency fund all. the. time. I also have an account book where I track the amounts of all my bills every month. I like knowing how much I pay for utilities, for example, so that I can notice any significant spikes.

Plan meals. Buy the groceries you need, plus a small handful of snack/lazyfoods. Same goes for household supplies - buy what you need as you need it.

All of your chores are your responsibility. Dishes. Laundry. Sweeping. Mopping. Vacuuming. Cleaning the toilet. Unplugging the drains. And I'm not trying to belittle. It's a tough pill to swallow and even if you do a lot of your chores yourself (like I did before I moved out) you don't realize just how much living with family makes a difference until you're on your own. It's tough to get used to, but you do get used to it.

If you have roommates, draw up a roommate contract and both sign. Google has a ton of good examples.

Airn

Decorate WHEN YOU MOVE.

There's so much stuff I wanted but it's so difficult to move things or get motivated. So plan how you want things to look. Plus neighbors don't like you nailing pictures a month after you move.

Make lists. Pre pay as much as possible. I like to pay ahead on my bills when I'm able. Because I suck at saving.

Everyone else is right. Being a grown up is expensive :( (I could not afford it without my SO)

GipsyQueen

How much I'd miss my mommy. ;) Then again I moved out at 19 and was a real mommy and daddy kid from there on out.

Budget. If you come in with more money at the end of the month - don't spend it. Save it.

Don't live pay to pay. I realize not always possible, but ALWAYS have something to catch you, just in case. I have friends who literally live from 0 to 0 each month. That gives me anxiety just thinking about it.
Anxiety about money is worse than school anxiety, because money anxiety never.stops.

Cleaning all the things is not nearly as fun as it seems.

Everything next to rent is expensive. Power, Heat, Phone etc. ect.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
- It's expensive lol but that's already been covered (Just my 2 cents.. moving out has never NOT been worth it for me)
- Buy a plunger BEFORE you need a plunger. merits a bold.
- Budget. Autopay for bills/utilities is a lifesaver
- Mint.com is great great great for budgets/planning/keeping accounts in order
- Check online for reviews of apartments/location/management companies
- Play nice with neighbors always :) nothing will sour a living situation like crappy neighbors. I like to pass out little letters with "Hi my name is ______, I just moved to unit ___, I have a dog named Merlin. We are just getting settled in, please call me if Merlin is ever any trouble or if you need anything. Plus candy
- Cleaning wise: clorox wipes, swiffer, vacuum. All essentials.
- AVOID AVOID renting a place with carpet. Impossible to keep clean and just..ugh.
- Trader Joe's will be your new house of worship.
- Cupcake wine is amazing. It's friendly on the budget and yummy
- SIGN UP FOR AMAZON PRIME. Free 2 day shipping and cheaper prices than drug stores (for toilet paper and other must needs)
- Mason jars do everything. They look "cute and funky" as glasses, storage, and are everything proof lol
- use a safety pin and some string to zip up dresses
- Cheap apartment alarm systems are great for peace of mind. This is the one I have it's wireless and has one for windows and your front door
http://www.amazon.com/GE-51107-Smart-Wireless-System/dp/B00032AVN6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1394236074&sr=8-1&keywords=apartment+alarm+system
- Clean everything before you move in! This is a great chance to clean the place thoroughly before furniture comes in
- Goodwill/SA is your friend when it comes to pots/plans/appliances and basically everything. (be wary of furniture...bed bugs..)
- You don't need cable TV. Get a tv, get a roku, get netflix and your amazon prime will have TV show/new movies and everything you need.
- TAKE PICTURE OF THE PLACE AT MOVE-IN. ESPECIALLY DAMAGE/"Little things" like chip on paint, funny windows etc... before you know it you will be moving out and they will hit your deposit for something you didn't do.
- Never lock a door without your key in your hand
- Every group of friends has a "group house" where people crash, where people pre-game, where people hang out.
Seems fun right?
It isn't.

DO NOT LET THIS PLACE BE YOUR PLACE.
- Things you will never not need...
toilet paper, garbage bags, swiffer pads, batteries, clorox wipes, paper towels, ziplock bags, toothpaste. If you have a house warming of your family still does care packages...suggest these items. If not, buy in bulk.
- Do your dishes when you eat off them.
- Change jar
- If there is a place for everything (as there should be, think SMALL like change jar, little key hook, dog leash rack etc..) you need to put it there. These little things (tossing dog leashes on the floor) become big things.
- Buy a george forman grill. Cooking for one lifesaver.
- Take your shoes off before coming inside, insist people do the same. People are disgusting as are their shoes.
- Maybe don't waste money on a desk you'll never use. A good lap desk and one of those chair pillows for your bed does just fine, no judgements.
- Your phone is not a good alarm clock. Phones break, phones die, phones do stupid things. Get a real clock, battery powered.
- IKEA is amazing.
- GET RENTERS INSURANCE. It is very very cheap and will one day save you

Most importantly...it will take a while before a place feels yours. Start small :) you'd be surprised how little things will help like knickknacks, small comfort items etc...

Julee

UNSTOPPABLE
All bow to Fran.

Set a timer for ten minutes per day and just clean for those ten minutes. Keeps things tidy and managable.

- It's expensive lol but that's already been covered (Just my 2 cents.. moving out has never NOT been worth it for me)
- Buy a plunger BEFORE you need a plunger. merits a bold.
- Budget. Autopay for bills/utilities is a lifesaver
- Mint.com is great great great for budgets/planning/keeping accounts in order
- Check online for reviews of apartments/location/management companies
- Play nice with neighbors always :) nothing will sour a living situation like crappy neighbors. I like to pass out little letters with "Hi my name is ______, I just moved to unit ___, I have a dog named Merlin. We are just getting settled in, please call me if Merlin is ever any trouble or if you need anything. Plus candy
- Cleaning wise: clorox wipes, swiffer, vacuum. All essentials.
- AVOID AVOID renting a place with carpet. Impossible to keep clean and just..ugh.
- Trader Joe's will be your new house of worship.
- Cupcake wine is amazing. It's friendly on the budget and yummy
- SIGN UP FOR AMAZON PRIME. Free 2 day shipping and cheaper prices than drug stores (for toilet paper and other must needs)
- Mason jars do everything. They look "cute and funky" as glasses, storage, and are everything proof lol
- use a safety pin and some string to zip up dresses
- Cheap apartment alarm systems are great for peace of mind. This is the one I have it's wireless and has one for windows and your front door
http://www.amazon.com/GE-51107-Smart-Wireless-System/dp/B00032AVN6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1394236074&sr=8-1&keywords=apartment+alarm+system
- Clean everything before you move in! This is a great chance to clean the place thoroughly before furniture comes in
- Goodwill/SA is your friend when it comes to pots/plans/appliances and basically everything. (be wary of furniture...bed bugs..)
- You don't need cable TV. Get a tv, get a roku, get netflix and your amazon prime will have TV show/new movies and everything you need.
- TAKE PICTURE OF THE PLACE AT MOVE-IN. ESPECIALLY DAMAGE/"Little things" like chip on paint, funny windows etc... before you know it you will be moving out and they will hit your deposit for something you didn't do.
- Never lock a door without your key in your hand
- Every group of friends has a "group house" where people crash, where people pre-game, where people hang out.
Seems fun right?
It isn't.

DO NOT LET THIS PLACE BE YOUR PLACE.
- Things you will never not need...
toilet paper, garbage bags, swiffer pads, batteries, clorox wipes, paper towels, ziplock bags, toothpaste. If you have a house warming of your family still does care packages...suggest these items. If not, buy in bulk.
- Do your dishes when you eat off them.
- Change jar
- If there is a place for everything (as there should be, think SMALL like change jar, little key hook, dog leash rack etc..) you need to put it there. These little things (tossing dog leashes on the floor) become big things.
- Buy a george forman grill. Cooking for one lifesaver.
- Take your shoes off before coming inside, insist people do the same. People are disgusting as are their shoes.
- Maybe don't waste money on a desk you'll never use. A good lap desk and one of those chair pillows for your bed does just fine, no judgements.
- Your phone is not a good alarm clock. Phones break, phones die, phones do stupid things. Get a real clock, battery powered.
- IKEA is amazing.
- GET RENTERS INSURANCE. It is very very cheap and will one day save you

Most importantly...it will take a while before a place feels yours. Start small :) you'd be surprised how little things will help like knickknacks, small comfort items etc...
^This. Except for the smelly gross socks or bare feet. I prefer people to have shoes on.

Definitely clean dishes as you use them. Good advice.

AgilityPup

Agility freak!

I have only been moved out for about 10 months, but another thing I am finding is that there's an element of stress/fear for moving home for as long as things aren't 100% perfect. Get a few hours less of work one week? OH GOD I AM GOING TO HAVE TO MOVE BACK WITH MY PARENTS! lol Which don't get me wrong, that's fine... but I have really come to love being able to walk around my house wearing what ever I do or DON'T want to wear.

Members online

No members online now.