Explain this....

Watts

Last night we had some friends over for dinner. They have an 8 year old mini dachshund(not really mini). When they get there, everything is ok for a few minutes. Luke, our mini doxie, started growling a little bit and so did the other dog. Wrigley, my 3month old Weim, was just trying to play with the new dog. They were all sniffing eachother and what not. Wrigley can get a little rough cause he doesn't know any better yet. I was so suprised that Luke was growling. This other dog is actually his brother and they play all the time. They just haven't seen eachother since i got wrigley. Luke is like super submissive around people and has never growled at any dog or person. except he growls at wrigley when he bothers him at dinner time! But how do you explain that? Luke and the other dog actually got in a fight! Lukes never done that. Was he being protective of Wrigley? I could understand if it was a dog he didnt' know, but he knows this dog. Has known him forever. They didn't get along for the rest of the night. This other dog even snapped at wrigley a couple times later and scared the crap out of him. You dont think this will give him a bad interpetation of other dogs do you? He just wanted to play and this other dog was so mean. It's not like it really stopped him though. He'd run away for a few seconds, then run back for more. Only this other dog was mean! He's not good around other dogs anyway(the other dog) The only one he's really good around is Luke, and luke was having nothing of his growling. I just cant' explain it? Maybe luke was showing this dog it was "his" house? He's never done that before? maybe because this other dog was growling and that triggered Luke to be dominant with him? I'm clueless, i just want to see if anyone might know why so it doesn't happen again.

I don't think you're clueless at all, Watts. I think you've nailed it on both counts. Luke didn't like anyone coming into HIS home, growling at HIS puppy! It probably won't affect Wrigley's take on other dogs too much, other than maybe making him a bit more circumspect in how he approaches a strange dog. Get him out to socialize, especially with other young dogs and he should be fine.

Debi

Yep, sounds like Luke was just letting it be known he was boss. Doesn't seem to have bothered Wrigley....he came bouncing back, and it was a good lesson in being around another dog. And, you were there to supervise...so that was good.

Watts

Yeah, i don't think Wrigley will be effected too much. He's been around other dogs but he's usually bigger than them and pushes them around. He does that with luke and luke has never gotten mad or tryed to tell him who's boss. Maybe he just understands that wrigley is a puppy and needs supervision?

Wrigley gets to meet all the dogs at petsmart, and some other smaller puppies that our friends have. But, this weekend, we're taking him to one of my best friends house. He has 2 Weimaraners, one that's 1 year old and another that is a month older than wrigley. So that should be great socialization for him. I try to socialize him as much as possible. It's not that bad when you have a luke being like he was, but when Wrigley is 80lbs, it'll scare some people, so i'm hoping he never catches that.

Members online

No members online now.