Walking/Running ____ Miles in 2013?

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
Just saw this idea on a blog I follow and with so many people here looking to get fit, I thought I'd throw it out there.

The blog I read has a goal of 1000 miles in 2013 (about 3 miles daily or 6 miles every other day). I think that's a bit high for me, but I'm thinking of shooting for 750 miles in 2013 - that's just over 2 miles a day! I have the treadmill for the dogs that I can use as well and I'm working on hiking more so I figure it's quite do-able. Anyone else want to join me?

I went on two 3 mile hikes while my parents were in town, so even though those were on the 30th and 31st, I'm going to count them. Tomorrow I'm hiking 7-8 miles with a meetup hiking group. :)

FG167

I'm game! I just sat down and calculated what I think I can do. The thing is, my job is SUPER active. I am currently starting a tracking team up for my company. Which entails laying tracks and then either running them myself or helping new handlers run them. That's miles and miles walked every day. BUT, I am not including that. Even so, sometimes I am so tired at the end of the day, I cannot fathom doing more exercise....

My goal is 520 miles for the year. That's 10 miles a week and anything over that will be a bonus. So even if I am too tired and can only squeeze in a two mile walk or run, that's not a lot of time added to my day and that's 5 days of exercise a week. I can do it!

I'm game. I'll post a goal of 1250 miles. Are we just tracking this on our own or, are we using fitocracy or something like it?

Julee

UNSTOPPABLE
Once I get signed up for the gym tomorrow, I'm game. Unsure how many I'm going to shoot for just yet.

Dakotah

Kotah BEAR
I walk, on average, 3 miles a day at work. So thats 15 miles a week, someday a bit more.

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
Tracking on your own, but post here so we can keep each other motivated!

FG167

Well I missed this week so I'll have to make that up at some point.

Today we took Kastle and Pan for a 2.77 mile hike on a gnarly trail.

Then Limit ran with us 2 miles on soft crushed gravel and then walked another 0.41 cool down. Great day!

Really good idea! I'll have to switch my tracking program to miles from kilometers. For iPhone users there's some nice programs that'll tally your distances, I use MapMyWalk. Not sure if there's an android version or not. I wasn't religious about using it last year so only tallied up 372 miles. Hmmm, be neat to put my MMW workout page in my signature, have to test my privacy settings first because it has a mapping section that usually starts at my house, LOL.

Treadmills count? I walk about 10 kilometers (6.21 miles) a day, three of four days a week. In the summertime we hike (Geocachers) quite a bit. And then there's walking the dogs.... On my "off" days I use my treadmill. But yeah, now that winter's officially hit I could use some motivation. Farthest I walked this week was to the car and back.

My goal will be 1000 miles.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
How are you guys tracking how far you go?

I would love to do this, but I don't know how good I will be at it. In dead winter I don't feel comfortable staying outside for long periods of time to go on trails and such, and in middle of summer Frodo won't hike because of heat. I don't hike without Frodo because, well, what's the point?! LOL

Maybe I can join up in the spring when I can get out and start C25K again?

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
I have several routes in my neighborhood that I've already mapped for distance, the treadmill records distance, and the hiking trails I take list distances, so that's what I'm using to calculate my totals.

Sooooo, consider me the one to be bogged down in pesky details, LOL. Was yesterday day #1, or is today? I told my husband about it and he thinks it's a great idea because I really tend to loose steam in the wintertime. He's buying me boot cleats for my birthday. Yeah, after nearly 27 years the romance ain't dead yet.

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
LOL it's totally up to you! I started my count on the first basically and am playing some catch up, though I'm at 14 miles as of yesterday!

Torch

I'm gonna try this too. I think I'm walking around 520 miles yearly anyways (an average of 10 miles a week), but I'll try upping it another hundred miles, to 620.

I'm game!

Last year I recorded 320 miles, but didn't start using that program until May and didn't use it for hiking or geocaching. Pretty much just to and from work. That would be about the time when gas prices jumped up and I got ticked.

tzigane

I'm game! I'm training for a 5k (and then later this year I'm going to start training for a half marathon) now, plus the random hiking I go on.

I keep track with RunKeeper. I love them so much! They have a free or paid app on the iPhone, and you can track running, walking, hiking, biking, swimming, all sorts of things all on the same app, and they have a separate website. You can have friends on there and follow each other to keep each other motivated. If anyone has one or wants to get one, let me know!

Actually, RunKeeper's goal tracking is only for one activity, so I can't say "Run + Hike 1000 miles" like I'd intended on, so mine is going to be only running. I run every other day, so I'm going to say 650 miles this year, because once I get started training my half marathon, I may decide I need to wait a while and keep working on my time for the 5k.

tzigane

Sooooo, consider me the one to be bogged down in pesky details, LOL. Was yesterday day #1, or is today? I told my husband about it and he thinks it's a great idea because I really tend to loose steam in the wintertime. He's buying me boot cleats for my birthday. Yeah, after nearly 27 years the romance ain't dead yet.
I'm backing mine up to start 1/1, personally.

I'm game! I'm training for a 5k (and then later this year I'm going to start training for a half marathon) now, plus the random hiking I go on.

I keep track with RunKeeper. I love them so much! They have a free or paid app on the iPhone, and you can track running, walking, hiking, biking, swimming, all sorts of things all on the same app, and they have a separate website. You can have friends on there and follow each other to keep each other motivated. If anyone has one or wants to get one, let me know!

Actually, RunKeeper's goal tracking is only for one activity, so I can't say "Run + Hike 1000 miles" like I'd intended on, so mine is going to be only running. I run every other day, so I'm going to say 650 miles this year, because once I get started training my half marathon, I may decide I need to wait a while and keep working on my time for the 5k.
I'll check out Runkeeper, friend of mine uses that one. You could always use another program for your hiking, add the mileage together to get your weekly totals? I use Mapmywalk for tooling around the city, and EveryTrail for hiking/geocaching. You can alter the tracks a little more with Everytrail so I can clean it up a bit. Really don't want to track my time wandering around trees searching for tupperware and nine times out of ten I forget to pause the app.

Good luck on your training!

tzigane

I'll check out Runkeeper, friend of mine uses that one. You could always use another program for your hiking, add the mileage together to get your weekly totals? I use Mapmywalk for tooling around the city, and EveryTrail for hiking/geocaching. You can alter the tracks a little more with Everytrail so I can clean it up a bit. Really don't want to track my time wandering around trees searching for tupperware and nine times out of ten I forget to pause the app.

Good luck on your training!
I may do that; RunKeeper can have multiple goals, so I may later on add a hiking goal. Hiking is more of a spontaneous thing for me, though, so I'm not sure I want to have a goal for hiking. We'll see!

Members online

No members online now.