This is getting so old.

I am going to call some sort of apartment meeting about it. I can't even leave the house if no one else is home now because they MIGHT fall to the floor and they MIGHT get eaten, and then the blame would be placed on me.
Yea, no. Like HayleyMarie said, I'd stick the birds in their room and shut the door when I wanted to leave... I'm not going to leave the poor things to fend for themselves but I'm not going to be trapped in my own home by someone else's irresponsibility, either.

sillysally

Obey the Toad.
I feel sorry for the birds :( Ultimately they may end up being the ones who suffer the most. Tell them that they need to buy a new cage if the birds will be living in a communal area. You can get them off craigslist pretty cheap (even free) so there really is no excuse.
This.

I know it is not your responsibility but it's not the birds' fault that their owners are douches that don't care for their pets. Also, even if the cat doesn't appear to have harmed the bird cats carry a toxin in their saliva (that often ends up on their claws) that can make a bird deathly ill if they come in contact with it (like being batted with claws). If I were you I would start putting the birds in their owners room, that way they stay safe and you don't have to worry about them. Also, maybe having their stuff covered in bird crap might modivate the owners to get a proper set up.

If the owners can get them a proper cage that closes covering them at night will keep them from getting up quite so early. Most birds are very noisy in the morning though, it's just a bird thing--they do "contact calls" in the morning to communicate with their "flock" and make sure everyone made it through the night. Ours start calling a little after 6 am typically.

Do you know what kind of birds they are?

ravennr

ಥ⌣ಥ
One is a cockatiel, the other is a parakeet.

I always grew up with large parrots, we didn't worry about our animals because the parrots always ended up scaring them more than they did the birds, lol.

We finally told them, it's time to stop being cheap. They need a new, bigger cage. They shouldn't be sharing one in the first place, but whatever. They also do not need to be out 24/7. I don't see a reason for that, personally. Not when they have been causing damage to the apartment by flying to things and chewing the corners of the walls, or furniture. They've allowed them to chew a hole in my couch cushions that they have been working on for months now. I also told them they need to give them something to do. They don't have proper stimulation, just a few perches and a bunch of can tops on keyrings attached to the cage that they rattle when they get bored.

Other than that, I haven't spoken to them. They're out of town until tomorrow or Monday, so I am just enjoying being able to sit in the living room.
My mom offered to fly me back down to Virginia and I could stay in NC with my sister until they're gone, but I feel that's a bit too drastic. And I don't really have any desire to put that strain on my relationship. The beginning of it was long-distance, that's enough for me!

Members online